Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Anything negative to say about Nova Scotia

Anything negative to say about Nova Scotia

Old Jan 28th 2009, 9:15 pm
Pictou County Superstarâ„¢

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anything negative to say about Nova Scotia

Too many Stop signs.

Originally Posted by mrmani
just wondering if anybody has anything negative to say about Nova Scotia
Old Jan 28th 2009, 11:42 pm
Forum Regular

grumpyhaggis is just really nicegrumpyhaggis is just really nicegrumpyhaggis is just really nicegrumpyhaggis is just really nicegrumpyhaggis is just really nicegrumpyhaggis is just really nicegrumpyhaggis is just really nicegrumpyhaggis is just really nicegrumpyhaggis is just really nice

Originally Posted by Greenhill
Too many Stop signs.
Ah! I missed that one!
Old Jan 29th 2009, 1:21 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by screene
We ate in a Vietnamese restaurant at the end of Barrington Street when in Halifax last summer. The service was slow but the food was cheap and excellent. Most of the other customers were Vietnamese, so I assume that Halifax must have a Vietnamese community. Unless they and the proprietors were all members of one large extended family.
I assume you mean that the customers looked a bit Asiany rather than that they were certainly Vietnamese, nonetheless I don't doubt that there's a Vietnamese restaurant in Halifax. There's rather a good Indian restaurant in Cut 'n Shoot Texas. Still, neither Halifax nor Cut 'n Shoot is going to win a prize for multiculturalism anywhen soon. There's nothing wrong with living in a place stuck in the 1950s, many people would say that's the whole case for Canada, but it's silly to pretend that such places offer the diversity and big city pleasures of, say, Boston or Detroit.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 1:39 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
There's nothing wrong with living in a place stuck in the 1950s, many people would say that's the whole case for Canada, but it's silly to pretend that such places offer the diversity and big city pleasures of, say, Boston or Detroit.
I don't think anyone is. The comments have simply been saying it's not totally absent in the way it's being suggested.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 2:57 am
Banned

Beaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by clynnog
My F-I-L and his family are from Moncton and I can assure you that the general population of Moncton is not particularly interested in the food items you listed and if they were to speak to you directly they would classify you to be an affected ponce of the highest order.
that's a new abbreviation for the list ; MFIL
Old Jan 29th 2009, 3:42 am
BE Forum Addict

clynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to behold

but it's silly to pretend that such places offer the diversity and big city pleasures of, say, Boston or Detroit.
Care to enlighten us as to the 'diversity and big city pleasures' of Daytrois. My experiences of the 313 are that it is a rat hole of the highest order, the ultimate doughnut city (hollow in the core).
Old Jan 29th 2009, 10:01 am
BE Enthusiast

dormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to behold

The lack of electricity, running water and those new fangled motor vehicle things is a bit of a pain. Just trying to sell the beaver skins to the locals is so tiresome in the winter. Roll on the 21st century maybe they will bring some tools to make life more bearable then
Old Jan 29th 2009, 11:05 am

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

I assume you mean that the customers looked a bit Asiany rather than that they were certainly Vietnamese, nonetheless I don't doubt that there's a Vietnamese restaurant in Halifax. There's rather a good Indian restaurant in Cut 'n Shoot Texas. Still, neither Halifax nor Cut 'n Shoot is going to win a prize for multiculturalism anywhen soon. There's nothing wrong with living in a place stuck in the 1950s, many people would say that's the whole case for Canada, but it's silly to pretend that such places offer the diversity and big city pleasures of, say, Boston or Detroit.
Nova Scotia can hardly be called multicultural. 97% of the population is of European origin.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 11:32 am
Forum Regular

mcdavis is a jewel in the roughmcdavis is a jewel in the roughmcdavis is a jewel in the roughmcdavis is a jewel in the roughmcdavis is a jewel in the rough

Not sure about now, but a few years ago the roads were shocking - more potholes than tarmac.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 11:39 am

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mcdavis
Not sure about now, but a few years ago the roads were shocking - more potholes than tarmac.
Try coming to Quebec, mate. Some of the potholes we have come spring can swallow a bus.

On the major highways (401 and 417) it is possible to tell when you've crossed from Ontario to Quebec, even with your eyes shut.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 11:56 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clynnog
Care to enlighten us as to the 'diversity and big city pleasures' of Daytrois. My experiences of the 313 are that it is a rat hole of the highest order, the ultimate doughnut city (hollow in the core).
Oh yes, I think that's fair. I'm only saying it offers more cultural diversity than NS; Black Americans, Arab Americans, White Americans.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 11:57 am
Forum Regular

screene is just really nicescreene is just really nicescreene is just really nicescreene is just really nicescreene is just really nicescreene is just really nicescreene is just really nicescreene is just really nice

I assume you mean that the customers looked a bit Asiany rather than that they were certainly Vietnamese, nonetheless I don't doubt that there's a Vietnamese restaurant in Halifax.
I would narrow it down rather more than being 'a bit Asiany'. These people if not Vietnamese were certainly Cambodians or maybe from Laos - most definately not Chinese, Pakistanis or Indians, for example.

I think it would be rather bad form to ask for ID in order to validate my enjoyment of the food, in much the same way that when I go for an 'Indian' in England I don't enquire as to whether the chef is in fact a Bangladeshi.

Now, for those of us who enjoy a kebab the picture is rather less rosy. The 'donair' sold in NS is a very poor substitute for a doner kebab, being small and made from beef and lacking chilli sauce. And, in case dbd33 is wondering, I think that the people who sell them in NS tend to be from North Africa rather than Turkey or Greece.

Then again, the opportunities to drink real ale in NS are pretty much non-existant so why would one want to buy a kebab?
Old Jan 29th 2009, 12:07 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by screene
The 'donair' sold in NS is a very poor substitute for a doner kebab, being small and made from beef and lacking chilli sauce. And, in case dbd33 is wondering, I think that the people who sell them in NS tend to be from North Africa rather than Turkey or Greece.
They're mostly sold by Cypriots in London aren't they? There's a shwarma place by our office in Toronto run by Turkish Cypriots, alas the product is unimpressive, so they might as well be Germans.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 3:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute

To summarise: come to Calgary - a 100,000 Nova Scotians can't be wrong!
Old Jan 29th 2009, 3:45 pm
Forum Regular

grumpyhaggis is just really nicegrumpyhaggis is just really nicegrumpyhaggis is just really nicegrumpyhaggis is just really nicegrumpyhaggis is just really nicegrumpyhaggis is just really nicegrumpyhaggis is just really nicegrumpyhaggis is just really nicegrumpyhaggis is just really nice

Originally Posted by triumphguy
To summarise: come to Calgary - a 100,000 Nova Scotians can't be wrong!
With the dip in the price of oil, it appears that many of them are coming back to NS, tail between legs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.