Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Anyone at work today?

Anyone at work today?

Old Nov 11th 2005, 1:14 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Anyone at work today?

I'm sitting here working and it occurs to me that maybe I shouldn't be. Is today a public holiday across Canada or is just the government sector that gets the day off?
Old Nov 11th 2005, 1:17 pm
dbd
Forum Regular

dbd has a spectacular aura aboutdbd has a spectacular aura aboutdbd has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Anyone at work today?

Originally Posted by Souvenir
I'm sitting here working and it occurs to me that maybe I shouldn't be. Is today a public holiday across Canada or is just the government sector that gets the day off?
I don't think it's a holiday here. Maybe only for the feds ?
Old Nov 11th 2005, 1:20 pm

NewCalgarian is an unknown quantity at this point

I think Iam one of the few professional people going to work in Calgary today - my company are REALLY tight

We have all been given keys to our builiding as every other business in the place is not working - what fun!
Old Nov 11th 2005, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by dbd
I don't think it's a holiday here. Maybe only for the feds ?
Hmmm. That explains the presence of the missus. It doesn't explain the presence of the boy.
Old Nov 11th 2005, 1:24 pm
dbd
Forum Regular

dbd has a spectacular aura aboutdbd has a spectacular aura aboutdbd has a spectacular aura about

Hmmm. That explains the presence of the missus. It doesn't explain the presence of the boy.
Schools are open here. At least, I suppose they are, I dropped someone off at one this morning. I'm at the offices of a quango where they take every possible holiday and then some, it doesn't look closed. Government departments in the US do close today, are you sure you're not in America ?
Old Nov 11th 2005, 1:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

CalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to all

I'm not working today.

It's one of those holidays that some provinces get, and some don't. Some business here open but give their staff the day off between Xmas and New Year instead. Fortunately not mine.

In total we get 12 "bank holidays" in Alberta.
Old Nov 11th 2005, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by dbd
Schools are open here. At least, I suppose they are, I dropped someone off at one this morning. I'm at the offices of a quango where they take every possible holiday and then some, it doesn't look closed. Government departments in the US do close today, are you sure you're not in America ?
I've done some further digging. Today is a statutory holiday in most provinces. Not mine though. My missus has the day off coz she works for the government, as do most people on my street, judging by the number of cars sitting in driveways.

I suspect the boy just has a PD day.
Old Nov 11th 2005, 1:50 pm
dbd
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by CalgaryBlade
I'm not working today.

It's one of those holidays that some provinces get, and some don't. Some business here open but give their staff the day off between Xmas and New Year instead. Fortunately not mine.

In total we get 12 "bank holidays" in Alberta.

We close the office on American Thanksgiving and Christmas Day, otherwise we're open. I don't remember anyone ever particularly wanting any other holiday off. People want, and take, specific days but they tend to be holidays in their home countries rather than here.
Old Nov 11th 2005, 1:51 pm
Banned

finallygotout will become famous soon enough

They have a holiday in BC today, our office there is not open.
Old Nov 11th 2005, 1:51 pm
dbd
Forum Regular

I've done some further digging. Today is a statutory holiday in most provinces. Not mine though. My missus has the day off coz she works for the government, as do most people on my street, judging by the number of cars sitting in driveways.

I suspect the boy just has a PD day.
Presumably it's a PD day because all the teachers are married to government staff who have the day off.
Old Nov 11th 2005, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by dbd
Presumably it's a PD day because all the teachers are married to government staff who have the day off.
Nice theory. There do seem to be an awful lot of PD days. Why can't they do that stuff during the summer vacation. They've got about 10 weeks to kill, after all.
Old Nov 11th 2005, 2:20 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Provincial Holiday here in NL. Most businesses closed...even Future Shop!!
Old Nov 11th 2005, 2:23 pm
Banned

finallygotout will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Provincial Holiday here in NL. Most businesses closed...even Future Shop!!

Meaning you will have to wait to get that HDTV then. We were told that getting a DLP projection TV, means we have to keep buying the bulb for it, which cost $300 a pop :scared:
Old Nov 11th 2005, 5:11 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing closed here in Ontario...maybe some government offices. Schools open, I'm back at work.
Old Nov 11th 2005, 5:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Corky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to behold

Closed in Nova Scotia as well....to many government workers here so they may as well close everything!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.