British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Anyone who has shipped a dog to canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/anyone-who-has-shipped-dog-canada-458175/)

Biiiiink Jun 22nd 2007 11:57 am

Re: Anyone who has shipped a dog to canada

Originally Posted by Daedra (Post 4954896)
Cripes, thats no good, we wanted to minimize the amount of time apart/away from our cat by being on the same flight. I'd be worried no end if she got lost (like has happened to a couple of our suitcases in the past) somewhere during a flight transfer or just not being on the same flight as us :huh:

They're not, are they? Same heated, pressurised, darkened hold as the flight you're likely on - just drop off and pick up from cargo depot instead of handing them over/collecting at the oversized luggage bit yourself. At least that's what's happened to people whose pets have gone "cargo" before. It refers to the handling (and the price, hah :blink: ) rather than the plane afaik.

Daedra Jun 22nd 2007 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by Biiiiink (Post 4955151)
They're not, are they? Same heated, pressurised, darkened hold as the flight you're likely on - just drop off and pick up from cargo depot instead of handing them over/collecting at the oversized luggage bit yourself. At least that's what's happened to people whose pets have gone "cargo" before. It refers to the handling (and the price, hah :blink: ) rather than the plane afaik.

Thats what I originally thought but after re-reading the article Mike poster, I think it sounds like a seperate plane/division that will handle pet transports called AC Cargo... I hope I'm wrong though, that would really suck! :thumbdown:

Biiiiink Jun 22nd 2007 12:43 pm

Their cargo division's always been called Air Canada Cargo and has always offered pet transtportation as a service, only difference is now there's no DIY route. There won't be separate planes of pooches from the UK flying around, it'll be the same plane as you're on where possible ;)

Originally Posted by Daedra (Post 4955160)
Thats what I originally thought but after re-reading the article Mike poster, I think it sounds like a seperate plane/division that will handle pet transports called AC Cargo... I hope I'm wrong though, that would really suck! :thumbdown:

Daedra Jun 22nd 2007 12:44 pm

Oh god, I do hope thats the case... was getting really worried reading through this thread!! :ohmy:

Steve_P Jun 22nd 2007 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by Biiiiink (Post 4955224)
Their cargo division's always been called Air Canada Cargo and has always offered pet transtportation as a service, only difference is now there's no DIY route. There won't be separate planes of pooches from the UK flying around, it'll be the same plane as you're on where possible ;)

Now I've heard in the last twenty-four hours that this policy change by Air Canada is for internal flights only.

I believe some clarification is required.

sheryl Jun 23rd 2007 8:49 am

Re: cost - It might be cheaper to get a taxidermist!!!:eek: Only joking - may be?:rofl:

gloveman Jul 9th 2007 5:48 pm

We bought our dogs over in May - they are 12 and 15 so were very worried. The flight was a bit of an ordeal for them but they both love it here and the 15 year old has a real spring in his step again (the other one has always been too springy anyway!)