British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Anyone who has shipped a dog to canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/anyone-who-has-shipped-dog-canada-458175/)

R I C H Jun 22nd 2007 2:49 am

Re: Anyone who has shipped a dog to canada

Originally Posted by Mayfly (Post 4951320)
Hi Rich
How much approximately did it cost to send your dogs ? We have a golden retriever to bring with us. She would probably be the same size as your dogs.
Thanks
Mayfly

After paying for vet examination/jabs, crates and the flight, I seem to remember that it was around 1,500GBP for the pair of them (2yrs ago). We chose pretty big crates for our dogs, but collies are not quite as bulky as retrievers, so you might need to go up a size, and therefore pay a little more.

My wife made all the arrangements as I was already in Canada, but she said that there'd have been no point using a company to sort everything out - the process and paperwork's quite straightforward and BA were very helpful making sure she had everything prepared.

Friends that moved out here this April flew 2 Labradogs over and used an agency - it cost them a little over 2,000GBP (Zoom). They used 'disposable' crates which were just thrown away once the dogs landed at Vancouver, I assume this saved some cost rather than purchasing the rigid plastic type that we did.

gibbos1 Jun 22nd 2007 3:01 am

Bl**dy hell! didn't realise it was sooooooo expensive, we have a black Lab, that the whole family loves, but I'm thinking of putting him in the carboot we going to have soon.

So roughly speaking, it's about £1000 per dog of this size.:ohmy::curse:

thanks all:thumbup:

kb33 Jun 22nd 2007 3:05 am

Jets for pets have just quoted me £1100 for 3 weeks boarding ,vet bills and transport to Manchester Airport then flight to Calgary. all for one PBGV . :ohmy:

Wife me an Daughter flying to Calgary with Canadian Affair = £800 :frown:

Lyndon001 Jun 22nd 2007 3:24 am

nope, wish it was a typo

shipping means, the flight, the crate, taking him from colchester to whichever airport, booking him in and giving him a kiss goodbye ;)

gibbos1 Jun 22nd 2007 4:04 am

Bloody hell; think we will need to do some more research on him and travel, and start saving for this extra cost. It's terrible that they can take advantage of people and their pets.

How long will all the certificates last, say we had him all jabbed and sorted now, then didn't ship him until next year?

Sorry about hi-jacking this thread, it's all on the same topic. Hope you don't mind? Let me know if you do.

Thanks for the help and info,
Regards,
Carl:thumbup:

Robski Jun 22nd 2007 4:56 am

Blimey, glad my cat is already booked on our Air Canada flight for July 3rd, cost of just £120.

R I C H Jun 22nd 2007 4:59 am

Originally Posted by gibbos1 (Post 4953222)
Bloody hell; think we will need to do some more research on him and travel, and start saving for this extra cost. It's terrible that they can take advantage of people and their pets.

How long will all the certificates last, say we had him all jabbed and sorted now, then didn't ship him until next year?

Sorry about hi-jacking this thread, it's all on the same topic. Hope you don't mind? Let me know if you do.

Thanks for the help and info,
Regards,
Carl:thumbup:

The dogs have to be checked by a vet less than 3 days before the flight (if I remember correctly), so getting jabs etc a long time in advance doesn't necessarily save time.

Steve_P Jun 22nd 2007 5:00 am

Originally Posted by Robski (Post 4953449)
Blimey, glad my cat is already booked on our Air Canada flight for July 3rd, cost of just £120.

Yes but your cat can work part of his/her passage by doing a bit of mousing on the journey.;)

Dogs are crap at that, and you don't need a guard at 35,000 feet. :p

MikeUK Jun 22nd 2007 6:32 am

Just an FYI for those planning on bringing pets in After July 15th

http://www.thestar.com/News/article/228293

Daedra Jun 22nd 2007 6:59 am

I also wanted to throw in this link which is to the official Canadian Food Inspection agency which governs the Canadian laws on pet imports, from that page you can select what kind of pet you want to import & it will give you the laws & regulations. The United Kingdom is on its list of "Rabies free countries" ie; just need an import certificate from the vet (for our small cat we were quoted about £50 for the certificate but it needs to go through DEFRA first who then forward papers to the Vet to sign & complete) ID that your pet has been living in the UK the past 6 months + prior to travel. I think Pet Passports are done for pets you want to be able to bring back to the UK or just be able to travel with country to country type of thing, costs quite a bit of dosh though!

Jumped onto this link to get up to date on the latest too as next Spring (around April/May 2008) me, Brit partner and our little kitty are hoping to move to Canada... read somewhere on this site a while ago that Air Transat also offer pet transport in cargo (ventilated/AC section) and am hoping it stays that way or we'll be up the creek next year :frown:

Daedra Jun 22nd 2007 7:02 am

Just wanted to add that Rabies vaccines are far cheaper to have done in Canada as it is one of the 'standard' diseases yearly vaccines include. Just pre-empt your move by making sure you have enough time & a dated certificate from the vet in the UK of when their last vaccination was & what was included. Bring it with you once you get settled in Canada to your new vet upon your first apointment and most of them will log in their computers the info from your previous vet's vaccine & advise (probably insist if outdoor pets) when you should have the rabbies vaccine done & how much it will set you back.

EDIT: Just read this in Mike's new article link "However, pets can still travel through its cargo division via its AC Live Product service." To me that sounds like its just saying you cant bring pets in the luggage/passanger hold compartments of the plane??

MikeUK Jun 22nd 2007 7:43 am

Originally Posted by Daedra (Post 4954188)
EDIT: Just read this in Mike's new article link "However, pets can still travel through its cargo division via its AC Live Product service." To me that sounds like its just saying you cant bring pets in the luggage/passanger hold compartments of the plane??

From what I can gather these are separate cargo flights, they want to avoid putting the pets in the regular cargo holds of the regular flights and keep it free for more luggage.
The Pets would travel on special cargo flights that have heated and pressurized holds

boxerdog03 Jun 22nd 2007 8:01 am

One of my dogs has just had his rabies jab, vet said he'd do it whilst he was being seen for something else then we didn't have to pay another consultation fee. The jab was about £46.

Sharon

blueRussell Jun 22nd 2007 8:35 am

We arrived last Thursday with two dogs & two cats. Total cost was just over £1,600.00. But our Giant Schnauzer was quoted at £1,200.00 on his own.

Air Canada has just announced that they no longer take pets on passenger flights, cargo only. So you can’t fly with them. We used Ladyhaye to organise everything. Dropped the animals off on the Tuesday, they had their DEFRA checks on the Wednesday and flew out with us on the Thursday (on Zoom).

They are all fine. The dogs enjoy the Ottawa River and the cats do whatever they did in Cornwall I suppose!

Russell...

Daedra Jun 22nd 2007 10:18 am

Originally Posted by MikeUK (Post 4954333)
From what I can gather these are separate cargo flights, they want to avoid putting the pets in the regular cargo holds of the regular flights and keep it free for more luggage.
The Pets would travel on special cargo flights that have heated and pressurized holds

Cripes, thats no good, we wanted to minimize the amount of time apart/away from our cat by being on the same flight. I'd be worried no end if she got lost (like has happened to a couple of our suitcases in the past) somewhere during a flight transfer or just not being on the same flight as us :huh: