Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Anyone Used BA to Fly Their Pets?

Anyone Used BA to Fly Their Pets?

Old Mar 24th 2006, 11:11 am
Forum Regular

The Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of light
Default Anyone Used BA to Fly Their Pets?

Hi,

Thought it was only right that we had another pet flying thread! Currently looking into flying our cat & dog out, and most people on the site seem to have used Air Canada. AC's website provides great information, but the only trouble is that they don't accept pets after June 20th.

Just wondered if anyone had used/researched BA's pet's policy, and if they had the same Summer blackout. (I've tried the BA website which is unhelpful; so just tried calling and after being on hold for 20 minutes finally got some woman who said they couldn't give any pet information until I had a booking - I said catch22 as I can't make a booking until I know if my pets can fly too...!, so she gave me some pets helpline number, which doesn't work... Just tried emailing them, but doubt I'll get any sensible reply - their lack of help and information is seriously putting me off!).
Old Mar 24th 2006, 2:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone Used BA to Fly Their Pets?

Tiaribbon used BA - PM her if she doesn't see this thread
Old Mar 25th 2006, 3:44 pm
Premium Member

Tiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of light

I flew all my animals over with BA. I recall they were awful to deal with on the telephone initially.....no-one seemed to know anything!! I finally was put through to someone who knew what they were doing and we booked the dogs and cat on our flight (as excess baggage) there and then. BA were wonderful carriers, gave me great tips and looked after the animals very well. The transporting of the animals went perfectly smoothly with no hitches at all. Good luck.
Old Mar 26th 2006, 4:13 pm
Forum Regular

The Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Tiaribbon
I flew all my animals over with BA. I recall they were awful to deal with on the telephone initially.....no-one seemed to know anything!! I finally was put through to someone who knew what they were doing and we booked the dogs and cat on our flight (as excess baggage) there and then. BA were wonderful carriers, gave me great tips and looked after the animals very well. The transporting of the animals went perfectly smoothly with no hitches at all. Good luck.
Thanks Tiaribbon - must say their initial customer service and lack of knowledge is putting me off a bit...! Do you know if they have a summer blackout period (like Air Canada do from 20th June)? Thanks.
Old Mar 26th 2006, 4:33 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

We used Air Transat, $150. Gatwick to Calgary.
Old Mar 26th 2006, 9:12 pm
Premium Member

Tiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by The Escapea
Thanks Tiaribbon - must say their initial customer service and lack of knowledge is putting me off a bit...! Do you know if they have a summer blackout period (like Air Canada do from 20th June)? Thanks.
I'm sorry, but I don't know; I moved my animals in December. Just keep persevering to call them and ask to speak to a Supervisor who knows the answers to your questions. I was also a bit worried about it all, however once I spoke to someone who was knowledgeable, I felt much better about it.

Once at LHR, BA were excellent - the checking-in staff were fantastic and processed us without any issues whatsoever.
Old Mar 26th 2006, 9:26 pm
Forum Regular

HJAMES has a brilliant futureHJAMES has a brilliant futureHJAMES has a brilliant futureHJAMES has a brilliant futureHJAMES has a brilliant futureHJAMES has a brilliant future

Hi,

Thought it was only right that we had another pet flying thread! Currently looking into flying our cat & dog out, and most people on the site seem to have used Air Canada. AC's website provides great information, but the only trouble is that they don't accept pets after June 20th.

Just wondered if anyone had used/researched BA's pet's policy, and if they had the same Summer blackout. (I've tried the BA website which is unhelpful; so just tried calling and after being on hold for 20 minutes finally got some woman who said they couldn't give any pet information until I had a booking - I said catch22 as I can't make a booking until I know if my pets can fly too...!, so she gave me some pets helpline number, which doesn't work... Just tried emailing them, but doubt I'll get any sensible reply - their lack of help and information is seriously putting me off!).
Apparently they dont fly short nosed dogs such as boxers and staffs
Old Mar 27th 2006, 10:36 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by HJAMES
Apparently they dont fly short nosed dogs such as boxers and staffs
Just to clarify - they don't fly 'snub-nosed' dogs, specifically bulldogs, pugs, and pekinese. This is similar to Virgin who specifically won't accept Pugs, Pekinese, Boston Terrier, English Bulldog, Brussels Griffin, French Bulldog, English Toy Spaniel, Shih Tzu and Japanese Spaniel (Chin) - as per Government guidelines.

Interestingly, other airlines will allow these to travel, (such as Delta, American Airlines and Northwestern Airlines) but stipulate a lower maximum hold temperature for these 24degrees rather than 29degrees).

The breeds listed above are most likely to suffer from brachycephalic syndrome (and heat and anxiety, suffered during flying, are likely to exacerbate this and could cause breathing difficulties).

These guidelines are also true for snub nosed cats, such as Persians & Burmese.

I think that other brachycephalic breeds - such as boxers - are not susceptible to this syndrome, hence okay to fly.

(You may guess that we have a boxer, so I've been looking into this...! ).

As for BA, after calling them last week, I sent a detailed email requesting info., and have still not had any response - so not impressed so far...!
Old Mar 27th 2006, 1:39 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

What does bradycephalic mean?

I mean it's literally slow-brained???
Old Mar 27th 2006, 1:41 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Morwenna

Posh word for snub or short-nosed - the official term for dogs like boxers!
Old Mar 27th 2006, 2:05 pm
Forum Regular

HJAMES has a brilliant futureHJAMES has a brilliant futureHJAMES has a brilliant futureHJAMES has a brilliant futureHJAMES has a brilliant futureHJAMES has a brilliant future

Just to clarify - they don't fly 'snub-nosed' dogs, specifically bulldogs, pugs, and pekinese. This is similar to Virgin who specifically won't accept Pugs, Pekinese, Boston Terrier, English Bulldog, Brussels Griffin, French Bulldog, English Toy Spaniel, Shih Tzu and Japanese Spaniel (Chin) - as per Government guidelines.

Interestingly, other airlines will allow these to travel, (such as Delta, American Airlines and Northwestern Airlines) but stipulate a lower maximum hold temperature for these 24degrees rather than 29degrees).

The breeds listed above are most likely to suffer from brachycephalic syndrome (and heat and anxiety, suffered during flying, are likely to exacerbate this and could cause breathing difficulties).

These guidelines are also true for snub nosed cats, such as Persians & Burmese.

I think that other brachycephalic breeds - such as boxers - are not susceptible to this syndrome, hence okay to fly.

(You may guess that we have a boxer, so I've been looking into this...! ).

As for BA, after calling them last week, I sent a detailed email requesting info., and have still not had any response - so not impressed so far...!
Now Im confused. It will be re-assuring to know that about Boxers cos I read on a website ages ago that Britain had stopped flying Boxers cos one had died on route. Do you know if BA still let Boxers go fly with them.
Thanks
Old Mar 27th 2006, 2:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Morwenna

Short head?
Old Mar 27th 2006, 2:29 pm
Forum Regular

Now Im confused. It will be re-assuring to know that about Boxers cos I read on a website ages ago that Britain had stopped flying Boxers cos one had died on route. Do you know if BA still let Boxers go fly with them.
Thanks
Yes they do - they only prohibit bulldogs, pugs and pekinese for health reasons.

As for a boxer dying en route, I know that BA have had a few dogs die in transit on longer routes such as when travelling to Singapore/Australasia, but I don't know which specific breeds these were, and the dogs died from dehydration in these cases (problems with their water bowls tipping up/leaking, and also not being re-filled in transit).

I checked on a boxer-specific forum, and other people there had flown their boxers with no problems...
Old Mar 27th 2006, 2:52 pm
Forum Regular

Yes they do - they only prohibit bulldogs, pugs and pekinese for health reasons.

As for a boxer dying en route, I know that BA have had a few dogs die in transit on longer routes such as when travelling to Singapore/Australasia, but I don't know which specific breeds these were, and the dogs died from dehydration in these cases (problems with their water bowls tipping up/leaking, and also not being re-filled in transit).

I checked on a boxer-specific forum, and other people there had flown their boxers with no problems...
Thanks for that. I must admit the thought of pets travelling on aircraft for 24 hours does worry me but I suppose its the chance will take as definitely not leaving him.
Old Mar 27th 2006, 3:16 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for that. I must admit the thought of pets travelling on aircraft for 24 hours does worry me but I suppose its the chance will take as definitely not leaving him.
Where are you flying from/to? If you can get a direct route that makes things a lot safer and easier.