Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

anyone use skype to eep in touch at home

anyone use skype to eep in touch at home

Old Sep 12th 2008, 9:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Canada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud of
Default anyone use skype to eep in touch at home

we have been looking into getting skype and for our families aswell, but would love to have some feed back form you guys if you use it.
i understand that you can also get phones that plug into the laptop, we will mainly use it for video, but i also understand that you can get some good cheap packages on it too,

thanks again

paul & jo
Old Sep 12th 2008, 10:08 am
BE Enthusiast

PaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud of
Default Re: anyone use skype to eep in touch at home

Have used Skype lots, it's good. If your friends/family have it then you can call each other for free, otherwise you can buy credit and call any number for a small amount (1p a minute to most major countries). For an aditional fee you can also have an incoming number (in another country such as the UK) so people without Skype can call you at normal UK rates.
Haven't tried the video side of it yet but the voice side is good. Of course it relies on you having a reasonable internet connection.
Old Sep 12th 2008, 10:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

I use Sykpe and ichat (for macs) to keep in touch with my OH when he's working abroad. The video is brilliant especially for the kids so they can actually see daddy. I have a 15 month old little girl and she should be taking her first steps any day now so at least when she does OH won't miss her latest trick.
Old Sep 12th 2008, 10:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Canada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud of

what about the phone, you ca get one which plugs in or a wireless one, hav eyou tried those?
Old Sep 12th 2008, 11:02 am

or4ngecrush is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Canada Dreams
what about the phone, you ca get one which plugs in or a wireless one, hav eyou tried those?
I have skype on my mac and just use the microphone and speakers, I also use headphones if I don't want the call to be heard by others. I personally don't see the point in the phone, but thats my opinion.
Old Sep 12th 2008, 11:26 am
BE Enthusiast

minimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud of

I've used Skype many times for instant messaging, video and phone calls. It's good and costs nothing if the other person has skype too. It only cost about 30p for a half hour phonecall from Canada to a normal UK landline. The only problem I found with it was that calls often hang or drop and you end up phoning each other several times during a conversation. We have both phones that plug into the pc and wireless ones. The wireless ones are great as you're not forced to sit at the pc then Sound quality for me was good - just like talking on a normal telephone.
Old Sep 12th 2008, 11:34 am

or4ngecrush is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by minimeeze
The wireless ones are great as you're not forced to sit at the pc then
never thought of that, but that's a good reason to get them
Old Sep 12th 2008, 12:27 pm
HBN
Just Joined

HBN is an unknown quantity at this point

I use the excellent small Ipevo phone.
Old Sep 12th 2008, 1:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

I use iChat - being a Mac zealot, I wouldn't let the family buy anything else so they're all kitted out with Macs and iChat I only use Skype to access freephone UK 0800 numbers (for bank, credit card, etc) and it's always been dreadful - half an hour of "what? hello? pardon?" at both ends. I don't know if this is because I'm not a paying customer, but I kind of don't want to become one after the terrible calls I've experienced iyswim
Old Sep 12th 2008, 1:18 pm
Account Closed

iananddave is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't use Skype but Vonage - a similar VOIP competitor (superior in my mind). I pay 40 dollars a month for unlimited North America and unlimited to 5 European countries. It would replace your existing landline. I also have a london number connected to it so when work or family/friends call they call for free (most folks have some sort of free evening/weekend calls).

I still think if you do the Skype thing you're still going to end up paying out for a Rogers, Bell et al fixed line at least with Vonage you won't need an additional carrier. You will get an adapter and you just need to hook it up to a standard phone.

Not trying to pimp your business hehehehe but if anyone is interested I see they offer refer a friend (could that be a BE friend ) and you get some months free or summit.

Ian :-)
Old Sep 12th 2008, 1:21 pm
Just Joined

DSILK is an unknown quantity at this point

we have been looking into getting skype and for our families aswell, but would love to have some feed back form you guys if you use it.
i understand that you can also get phones that plug into the laptop, we will mainly use it for video, but i also understand that you can get some good cheap packages on it too,

thanks again

paul & jo
We use Skype a bit but mostly msn messenger as the kids use it to talk to their friends, with audio and webcam it helps us keep in touch what with half the family in Australia and my parents in Cyprus.
We also use the dreaded Facebook a lot for posting pics up for everyone to see and the occasional chat, I guess it comes down to personal preference and what you find easiest to use.
Old Sep 12th 2008, 1:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iananddave
Vonage - a similar VOIP competitor
I've never looked at VOIP as I'm not sure my monitored alarm system would work with that... do you know? Anyone else here with an alarm and non-landline set-up?
Old Sep 12th 2008, 1:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elaine B.
I use Sykpe and ichat (for macs) to keep in touch with my OH when he's working abroad. The video is brilliant especially for the kids so they can actually see daddy. I have a 15 month old little girl and she should be taking her first steps any day now so at least when she does OH won't miss her latest trick.
Skype, ichat and msn here. Sometimes even gizmo.. Am thinking of getting a toronto based gizmo number.

Anyway - I'm in the process of switching to a paygo with 3 in Sweden, get a 3G skype phone and then I'll have skype anywhere I am when back here. Plus they have a thing called 3global even for paygo. About $5 a month and the minute charge to Canada from here (including cell phones) will be about $0.03 per minute. That's even cheaper than using skype-out or the landline.
Old Sep 12th 2008, 1:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by or4ngecrush
I have skype on my mac and just use the microphone and speakers, I also use headphones if I don't want the call to be heard by others. I personally don't see the point in the phone, but thats my opinion.
skype/ichat/gizmo, macbook pro, bluetooth headset. Works marvelously. (apart from the "the line is really bad" thing.)
Old Sep 12th 2008, 1:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

skype 3g phone whats that then ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.