Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

anyone use skype to eep in touch at home

anyone use skype to eep in touch at home

Old Sep 12th 2008, 1:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Paul in Victoria is a name known to allPaul in Victoria is a name known to allPaul in Victoria is a name known to allPaul in Victoria is a name known to allPaul in Victoria is a name known to allPaul in Victoria is a name known to allPaul in Victoria is a name known to allPaul in Victoria is a name known to allPaul in Victoria is a name known to allPaul in Victoria is a name known to allPaul in Victoria is a name known to all
Default Re: anyone use skype to eep in touch at home

I don't know how I could have afforded to keep in touch with home whilst over here on my own, st the moment.
I bought a cheap skype/voip phone, plug in and your away.
Lots of my friends and family have got the same and I can keep in touch no problem.

I have had a bit of echo when on the phone for over 1/2hour.
easy, ring off, then phone straight back, line back perfect.

I would definitely recommend going down this route.
I know it doesn't cost a great deal to call UK, but why pay when you can it for FREE!!!!!!!!!!!

Old Sep 12th 2008, 1:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Paul in Victoria is a name known to allPaul in Victoria is a name known to allPaul in Victoria is a name known to allPaul in Victoria is a name known to allPaul in Victoria is a name known to allPaul in Victoria is a name known to allPaul in Victoria is a name known to allPaul in Victoria is a name known to allPaul in Victoria is a name known to allPaul in Victoria is a name known to allPaul in Victoria is a name known to all

Skype 3G not available in Canada.

It's basically a mobile + skype
Old Sep 12th 2008, 1:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Canada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud of

POO :curse:
Old Sep 12th 2008, 2:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Canada Dreams
skype 3g phone whats that then ?
http://www.skype.com/allfeatures/3skypephone/

But not available in Canada. Neither is the 3 network.

You might be able to get a plugin to your existing phone and use that but won't be free as goes on dataplan.
Old Sep 12th 2008, 4:22 pm
Corn Nibbler

cornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud of

www.voipdiscount.com is good for calling back to the UK. Along with the dozen or so other brand names that company uses.

Adding $15 or so credit gives you a few months of free calls to UK landlines and various other destinations.

You install an application on your computer, and the other end just needs a normal phone.

If you're feeling adventurous, they support SIP, so you can use a VOIP phone or adapter instead of your PC or Mac.
Old Sep 12th 2008, 6:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Canada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud of

this is getting complicated now
Old Sep 12th 2008, 6:13 pm
Forum Regular

ctcrm will become famous soon enoughctcrm will become famous soon enough

ive used skype a lot and saved money calling canada from the uk, as someone said its 0.012p a min.... very easy to use and the video is very good too, better than doing it through msn messenger. Ive got a bog standard phone which was about 8 quid from the internet.

certainly will be getting it for the outlaws when we go.
Old Sep 12th 2008, 6:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ramsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really nice

Originally Posted by YYZlover
http://www.skype.com/allfeatures/3skypephone/

But not available in Canada. Neither is the 3 network.

You might be able to get a plugin to your existing phone and use that but won't be free as goes on dataplan.
Be careful with 3G in general as there are different technologies in different countries which are of course, incompatible! (NZ and Canada have different technologies for sure!)

If you have a PDA style phone with wi-fi, you can get skype working for free if you are in a wi-fi hotspot (Starbucks, etc)
Old Sep 12th 2008, 6:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ramsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really nice

Originally Posted by Canada Dreams
what about the phone, you ca get one which plugs in or a wireless one, hav eyou tried those?
You can get phones which are both skype and landline and dont require your pc to be switched on.

You plug your network cable and a phone line intop the box and the handset itself is wireless so you can use it all over.

They are good as they are always on!

http://www.consumer.philips.com/cons...e+VOIP8411B-37
Old Sep 12th 2008, 8:07 pm
Forum Regular

The Hampsons is an unknown quantity at this point

We use SKYPE via our laptop to talk to friends in New Zealand.
We just downloaded the FREE software from SKYPE.Com and rely on the laptop speakers, microphone and webcam.
Sound quality is generally very good.
Since you'll probably have a laptop/pc with a broadband connection, you may as well get the software for nothing and give it a try.
If you're parents have a pc, get them to download it and pre-arrange a time to talk each week. Webcams can give them the chance to see their grandchildren grow up, even though they may be several thousand miles away.
Old Sep 12th 2008, 8:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

yep will give this a go i think, i just need to get the parents broadband, you know what the old folk are like, stuck in there ways, (dial up)
Old Sep 12th 2008, 8:18 pm
Fluffy Dippindoodle

pinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond repute

Do use Skype to keep in touch with technical members of the family and find it really good, particularly with nieces/nephews. Doesn't work too well with my mum though - she just goes - oh it's you, you're really there, and just smiles and waves. ah well, at least she doesn't cry anymore which is what she did for the first wee while.
Old Sep 12th 2008, 8:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ramsey
Be careful with 3G in general as there are different technologies in different countries which are of course, incompatible! (NZ and Canada have different technologies for sure!)

If you have a PDA style phone with wi-fi, you can get skype working for free if you are in a wi-fi hotspot (Starbucks, etc)
I used three for a very short while in UK and hated the carrier. I know loads of people here in Sweden using three and that is where I would be using it. I have a vodafone sim for germany and a rogers for canada already in place and an unlocked blackberry for the purpose of using those sims.

The three paygo requires 3G phone sp that is what I will have to get. at £0.03/SEK 0.18 (which is almost 3 cents canadian) can't even be beat by skype, unless I get an unlimited skype world wide account, which I could get but it won't work on mobile and I'm sorry to say that I won't be shouting "hello, can you hear me" to prospective employers down a skype line. :-)
Old Sep 12th 2008, 10:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by YYZlover
I used three for a very short while in UK and hated the carrier. I know loads of people here in Sweden using three and that is where I would be using it. I have a vodafone sim for germany and a rogers for canada already in place and an unlocked blackberry for the purpose of using those sims.

The three paygo requires 3G phone sp that is what I will have to get. at £0.03/SEK 0.18 (which is almost 3 cents canadian) can't even be beat by skype, unless I get an unlimited skype world wide account, which I could get but it won't work on mobile and I'm sorry to say that I won't be shouting "hello, can you hear me" to prospective employers down a skype line. :-)
All I ment was is that there are a number of 3G systems in play around the world. They are not all compatible. The GSM 2G part of your phone will work worldwide (depending on the band coverage), but not nec. the 3G part.

My NZ 3G phone only has 2G functionality here in Canada.
Old Sep 13th 2008, 6:33 am

terese677 is an unknown quantity at this point

We use skype to keep in touch with family and friends. I wouldn't be without it especially for my little one who doesn't understand why she can't go to visit Grandma, but she loves to see and talk to her.
I would recommend it to others
Terese

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.