Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

anyone upgraded on canadian affair?

anyone upgraded on canadian affair?

Old Mar 3rd 2010, 7:37 am
Forum Regular

goodpikey has a brilliant futuregoodpikey has a brilliant futuregoodpikey has a brilliant futuregoodpikey has a brilliant futuregoodpikey has a brilliant futuregoodpikey has a brilliant futuregoodpikey has a brilliant future
Default anyone upgraded on canadian affair?

hi guys,
just wondered if anyone paid the £99 upgrade on canadian affair.
was it worth the extra money?
any experiences would be greatly appreciated.

many thanks
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 7:48 am
Just Joined

lindseysm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: anyone upgraded on canadian affair?

Hi,
We upgraded when we went to Toronto to land in December. We think that it is worth upgrading because of the extra space. Transat was very good, excellent cabin staff who couldn't do enough for the passengers.
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 9:24 am

Bali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond repute

I tried to at the airport once as I knew my baggage was over by 8kg, but it was fully booked.

Given I paid £80 for the extra luggage that I would have got in premium it would have been worth it for that alone.
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 1:34 pm
Forum Regular

montpro is an unknown quantity at this point

If you don't have to drive at the other end it's well worth it

Although when I went I only paid £39 for it (last minute deal)
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 2:11 pm
Just Joined

juneaa is an unknown quantity at this point

just as long as you are aware that the extra room seats arent like going on BA economy plus or something. They are basically selling you the emergency exit row seats and those in the front row of each section of the cabin.
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 2:12 pm
Forum Regular

goodpikey has a brilliant futuregoodpikey has a brilliant futuregoodpikey has a brilliant futuregoodpikey has a brilliant futuregoodpikey has a brilliant futuregoodpikey has a brilliant futuregoodpikey has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by montpro
If you don't have to drive at the other end it's well worth it

Although when I went I only paid £39 for it (last minute deal)
that's a fair point! we are getting picked up by friends on the other side.
i think i'll save the drinking until we have actually landed and picked up our dog from customs!! then the celebrations can really begin!!
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 2:15 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by juneaa
just as long as you are aware that the extra room seats arent like going on BA economy plus or something. They are basically selling you the emergency exit row seats and those in the front row of each section of the cabin.
hi juneaa,
i got a brochure in from canadian affair yesterday and they have a seperate section at the front of the plane for upgrades! i don't know if this is a new thing!
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 2:19 pm
Just Joined

juneaa is an unknown quantity at this point

I guess so! When we went air transat and canadian affair to calgary after christmas they were selling those seats as the upgrade seats which i thought was a bit rubbish! Maybe it depends which route you are on
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 2:30 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by goodpikey
hi juneaa,
i got a brochure in from canadian affair yesterday and they have a seperate section at the front of the plane for upgrades! i don't know if this is a new thing!
According to my father-in-law, the upgrade sits you in a separate cabin but the seats are still small and shit.

If you're not bothered about cramped seating and are interested in the extra luggage allowance, the price is good enough and the upgrade is worth it.

All according to my FIL when he visited a few months ago (we made him take some of our stuff back with him, the poor old sod).
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 2:39 pm
and the cat too

JulieandDave has much to be proud ofJulieandDave has much to be proud ofJulieandDave has much to be proud ofJulieandDave has much to be proud ofJulieandDave has much to be proud ofJulieandDave has much to be proud ofJulieandDave has much to be proud ofJulieandDave has much to be proud ofJulieandDave has much to be proud ofJulieandDave has much to be proud ofJulieandDave has much to be proud of

We upgraded when came out to land, well worth it I thought. As I walked into gatwick and saw the huge line to check in my heart sank.

Then you walk pass that line and straight up to your own check in desk, with maybe one person in front of you if you are unlucky!

On the plane first and off first so you get to immigration pretty much straight away as well

And extra luggage allowance. More legroom, we had the front row seats and my 6' 2" hubby could stretch out and I could still walk pass him to get out of my seat.

To me it was worth it just for those bits.

And as others have said free booze, which provided much entertainment from a drunken woman giving the bloke across the aisle from us a free lap dance, which he didn't want! Cabin crew stepped in and she was arrested when we landed
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 2:55 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

The upgrade to "premium Economy" has you sitting in a separate section at the front of the plane.

IF you are flying on an Air Transat flight - absolutely worth it, the seats are bigger, you get more luggage allowance, "proper:" cutlery and glasses, choice of meals (and lots of them), free alcohol, and a complimentary comfort pack.

If you are flying on a Thomas Cooke flight you get a bigger seat and that is about it apart from alcohol which you get on all airlines. You should check the luggage allowance as it's not as much as Air Transat. You get the same food / utensils etc as economy class.

My son flew out on Air Transat at Christmas and couldn't find fault with them, he said it was like flying business class. (He is well travelled). However, his return flight was with Thomas Cooke (flightshare) and he was very disappointed particularly as the return flight upgrade cost more!

Check who is flying before deciding

Last edited by Siouxie; Mar 3rd 2010 at 3:28 pm. Reason: alcohol :)
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 3:17 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by siouxie
...he said it was like flying business class. (He is well travelled). )
Short haul Europe, i assume.
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 3:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond repute

If you are flying on a Thomas Cooke flight you get a bigger seat and that is about it. You should check the luggage allowance as it's not as much as Air Transat. You get the same food / utensils etc as economy class.
That wasn't my parents' experience when the flew Manchester/Calgary with Thomas Cook last Summer - they certainly got the complimentary booze, anyway
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 3:25 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
Short haul Europe, i assume.
No, actually.

He had his first "1st class" flight at 6 months between Hong Kong and Singapore.

He had flown around the world twice by the time he was 5.

He travelled between England and Hong Kong twice a year between the ages of 5 and 10 and throughout the Far East, USA, Australia, NZ etc. from the age of 6 months to 17. He has visited the Pacific Islands several times, including Fiji, Cook Islands and Tahiti.

From the age of 17 until 22 he flew to Barbados several times a year and has been flying to Canada twice a year since he was 21.

There aren't many places he hasn't been to.

Old Mar 3rd 2010, 3:29 pm
Beep

No, actually.

He had his first "1st class" flight at 6 months between Hong Kong and Singapore.

He had flown around the world twice by the time he was 5.

He travelled between England and Hong Kong twice a year between the ages of 5 and 10 and throughout the Far East, USA, Australia, NZ etc. from the age of 6 months to 17. He has visited the Pacific Islands several times, including Fiji, Cook Islands and Tahiti.

From the age of 17 until 22 he flew to Barbados several times a year and has been flying to Canada twice a year since he was 21.

There aren't many places he hasn't been to.

My comment was of his experience of long haul, 4/5 star airline, business/club/upper class travel if he likens it to the premium economy offerings of Transat and Cook.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.