Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

anyone transported tortoises to vancouver..help and advice please

anyone transported tortoises to vancouver..help and advice please

Old Feb 9th 2009, 3:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

kmcguinness is a name known to allkmcguinness is a name known to allkmcguinness is a name known to allkmcguinness is a name known to allkmcguinness is a name known to allkmcguinness is a name known to allkmcguinness is a name known to allkmcguinness is a name known to allkmcguinness is a name known to allkmcguinness is a name known to allkmcguinness is a name known to all
Default anyone transported tortoises to vancouver..help and advice please

Hello All,

I am hoping there is someone out there who could offer some advice..our situation is:

Vancouver bound in June 09 (fingers crossed).. we have 2 dogs and 2 tortoises which we want to take with us...I am okay with the rules for taking the dogs but i cannot find anything on taking the tortoises to Vancouver. Ive had two numbers for the canadian embassy in London from a nice gentleman at DEFRA...but when calling both these numbers neither could help with this matter.

Both the tortoises are less than 2 yrs old, they are hermanns and are both certificated for me as legal owner. Im stuck as to how or what I need to do to take them with us.
Old Feb 9th 2009, 6:31 pm

Canada Jane has disabled reputation
Default Re: anyone transported tortoises to vancouver..help and advice please

Originally Posted by kmcguinness
Hello All,

I am hoping there is someone out there who could offer some advice..our situation is:

Vancouver bound in June 09 (fingers crossed).. we have 2 dogs and 2 tortoises which we want to take with us...I am okay with the rules for taking the dogs but i cannot find anything on taking the tortoises to Vancouver. Ive had two numbers for the canadian embassy in London from a nice gentleman at DEFRA...but when calling both these numbers neither could help with this matter.

Both the tortoises are less than 2 yrs old, they are hermanns and are both certificated for me as legal owner. Im stuck as to how or what I need to do to take them with us.
You might find this link useful

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/...turtlese.shtml
Old Feb 9th 2009, 6:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

rach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud of

Great link!

We used Ladyhaye to transport our parrots, they deal with more exotic pets I think, so may be worth a call?

They are based near London

Good luck!
Old Feb 9th 2009, 7:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

kmcguinness is a name known to allkmcguinness is a name known to allkmcguinness is a name known to allkmcguinness is a name known to allkmcguinness is a name known to allkmcguinness is a name known to allkmcguinness is a name known to allkmcguinness is a name known to allkmcguinness is a name known to allkmcguinness is a name known to allkmcguinness is a name known to all

Originally Posted by rach_woz99
Great link!

We used Ladyhaye to transport our parrots, they deal with more exotic pets I think, so may be worth a call?

They are based near London

Good luck!
thanks to you both who have replied, yes i agree the link is fab..many thanks
k
Old Feb 9th 2009, 7:15 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

will prob have to fly Air canada or BA - they seem to be only ones that do other animals rather than just cats and dogs like Air transat
Old Feb 9th 2009, 7:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
will prob have to fly Air canada or BA - they seem to be only ones that do other animals rather than just cats and dogs like Air transat
thanks 4bells, that was going to be my next question!!!
Old Feb 9th 2009, 8:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, I also forgot to mention in my PM. Some airlines will let you take them in the cabin if their carrier is small enough to stow under the seat infront...although I have a feeling that the UK has its own rules that preclude having any animals in the cabin, even if the carrier would normally allow it. The guy who I'm putting you in touch with will have more idea on that...
Old Feb 9th 2009, 8:41 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

I WANT TORTOISES
I hope you manage to ship them easily - seeing as you have all the paperwork it should be OK I would have thought.
Old Feb 9th 2009, 8:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
I WANT TORTOISES
I hope you manage to ship them easily - seeing as you have all the paperwork it should be OK I would have thought.
awh, thanks piff poff, had some good advice already and the consensus is bring them with us than not. just need the details of how to do so and who to speak to at canada end re their laws etc as those i spoke to today were very unhelpful. have got the 2 dogs also so want them transported at the same time from manchester to vancouver.
Old Feb 9th 2009, 8:54 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

awh, thanks piff poff, had some good advice already and the consensus is bring them with us than not. just need the details of how to do so and who to speak to at canada end re their laws etc as those i spoke to today were very unhelpful. have got the 2 dogs also so want them transported at the same time from manchester to vancouver.
I had to leave mine behind as I didn't have any paperwork for them and all of a sudden we were moving I have also had some since I've been here, bought them from a reptile trade show,was told they would grow to about 12 inches or so. HAH! I had Sulcutas - the third largest type So I sold them on last year to someone that already has a few and a massive barn to keep them in

When the time is right I will get some more torts - one of the coolest creatures in the world IMHO, so cool to watch and so easy to look after.

I would have thought a pet transporting company should be able to tell you what you need to know. Good luck!
Old Feb 9th 2009, 8:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond repute

I WANT TORTOISES
Don't worry L - you're at the very top of our list if/when our little ones breed
Old Feb 9th 2009, 9:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

I had to leave mine behind as I didn't have any paperwork for them and all of a sudden we were moving I have also had some since I've been here, bought them from a reptile trade show,was told they would grow to about 12 inches or so. HAH! I had Sulcutas - the third largest type So I sold them on last year to someone that already has a few and a massive barn to keep them in

When the time is right I will get some more torts - one of the coolest creatures in the world IMHO, so cool to watch and so easy to look after.

I would have thought a pet transporting company should be able to tell you what you need to know. Good luck!
crikey, bet that was a shock when they grew so big...good to hear you managed to re-home them.

will start contacting companies tomorrow- dont want to leave them...my mum bought the 2nd one...he's called 'whistler'...but norris likes him (or her) they get on well. would miss them so much if had to leave them.

thanks again for your advice and support.
k
Old Feb 9th 2009, 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by AlexInBC
Don't worry L - you're at the very top of our list if/when our little ones breed
YAY! Thank you
Old Feb 9th 2009, 10:37 pm

crikey, bet that was a shock when they grew so big...good to hear you managed to re-home them.

will start contacting companies tomorrow- dont want to leave them...my mum bought the 2nd one...he's called 'whistler'...but norris likes him (or her) they get on well. would miss them so much if had to leave them.

thanks again for your advice and support.
k
Thankfully after some research I realised the size implications when they were still very little

You've gotta have two - Whistler and Norris! Love the names.
Old Feb 9th 2009, 11:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

rach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud of

I found this list of contacts from the Canadian end

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/.../conpere.shtml

We used Alan McLean as we were bringing the parrots to Nova Scotia, and he was fabulous. He told us what we needed to do from the English end aswell as the Canadian end, a good job really because DEFRA didn't bother to tell us about the CITES permits we would have needed - it would have been a disaster at cargo

Have you tried anyone off that list?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.