Reload this Page >

Anyone took Rabbits to Canada?

Anyone took Rabbits to Canada?

Old May 23rd 2011, 2:44 pm
Just Joined

flicketyflick is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone took Rabbits to Canada?

Hello,

Slowly starting to plan my move to Canada.

I was just wondering if anyone has taken their rabbit/s with them and how were they? Mine seem to be ok in cars if they are kept together with lots of greens and paper to shred but a little worried with the long flight.

I have emailed jets4pets and got a qoute off them. But thought I would ask on here before I email airlines.

Can you take them on board or would they have to go as Cargo? If I have to do Cargo I was hoping to keep them all together in one box.

It would be great to hear other peoples experience.

Flick
Old May 23rd 2011, 2:59 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone took Rabbits to Canada?

Years ago I took a rabbit my mum gave me, it traveled with me on the aircraft, neatly wrapped in pastry.
Old May 23rd 2011, 3:02 pm
Just Joined

Old May 23rd 2011, 5:31 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by flicketyflick
You may want to look into this a little deeper as it appears that you need an import certificate from any country other than the US.

Import of Pet Rabbits http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/...gomorphe.shtml

This information is current as of 2011-05-23.

From countries other than the United States:

Canada has permit and quarantine requirements for the importation of domestic rabbits from countries other than the United States. To obtain detailed information about this process, you should contact the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) office in the province into which the rabbits will be imported. You will be required to complete and submit an Application for Permit to Import to the CFIA along with an originally signed declaration of the following:

that the rabbits have been in your possession as personally-owned pets;
that you will personally accompany the rabbits from the country of origin to Canada

You should apply for the import permit at least 30 days in advance of your proposed importation. CFIA staff will assist you with the process of arranging for the approval of Canadian quarantine premises. An import permit may be issued once the above information has been submitted and the quarantine premises has been approved. Fees are applicable when applying for an import permit, approval of a quarantine facility, and inspection of animals. The CFIA will advise you on the fees applicable to your particular situation.

For clarification of the Canadian Food Inspection Agency import policies, please contact a local CFIA Office.
Old May 23rd 2011, 8:55 pm
Just Joined

thewolfman is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by flicketyflick
Hello,

Slowly starting to plan my move to Canada.

I was just wondering if anyone has taken their rabbit/s with them and how were they? Mine seem to be ok in cars if they are kept together with lots of greens and paper to shred but a little worried with the long flight.

I have emailed jets4pets and got a qoute off them. But thought I would ask on here before I email airlines.

Can you take them on board or would they have to go as Cargo? If I have to do Cargo I was hoping to keep them all together in one box.

It would be great to hear other peoples experience.

Flick
We moved to Edmonton last year and took our rabbits with us. You do need an export certificate which DEFRA post to your vet and the vet will need to give them a healthcheck and confirm they are up to date with their vaccinations. The healthcheck needs to be completed no earlier than 72 hours before your flight. (I think, there was so much to organise that that week is a bit of a blur) They were a bit subdued after the nine hour flight but they were fine after a day or so.
Old May 24th 2011, 9:40 am
Just Joined

Thanks so much for your help. Im glad someone else has taken them with them.

Im just starting to collect notes together as their is so much to think about.

Did you go through the airline itself or get someone to sort that out for you?

Thanks again,

Flick
Old May 24th 2011, 11:49 am
Just Joined

Ducks will become famous soon enoughDucks will become famous soon enough

Wow, I can't believe somebody else has taken rabbits, when going through the process I felt like nobody had ever done it before!

We brought 2 rabbits to NS last march. I was a nervous wreck but when we picked them up from the cargo depot they were absolutely fine, as if nothing had happened, and they are both pretty bad car passengers. The only problem was adjusting to new food, and one of them went on hunger strike for a few days before deciding that she was going to have to give in and eat.

The whole process was rather convoluted and (as others have said) you need export certificates, health checks, some sort of import certificate and quarantine premises. But once you work it all out it's fine.

We arranged it ourselves and flew with Air Canada. The rabbits had to fly as cargo as only cats and dogs are considered pets apparently!

Anyway, if you need any more information just PM me and I will look it all up. I don't remember how much it cost, but approaching £1000 (eek!) is springing to mind (including all airline costs, certificates, quarantine and airline approved crates).

Good luck sorting it all out!
Old May 24th 2011, 6:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

dgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Aviator
Years ago I took a rabbit my mum gave me, it traveled with me on the aircraft, neatly wrapped in pastry.
You've read the book, you've seen the film, now eat the pie?
Old May 24th 2011, 6:30 pm
Banned

immichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to behold

Pet the rabbits, George.

Old May 24th 2011, 11:30 pm

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point

I wouldnt even think about bring the rabbits. I doubt very much they will survive the trip. It will cost loads of money. Why put the poor things through the stress, buy a new one here and give the one you have got to a good home.
Old May 25th 2011, 2:18 am
Forum Regular

HSJones is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ducks
Wow, I can't believe somebody else has taken rabbits, when going through the process I felt like nobody had ever done it before!

We brought 2 rabbits to NS last march. I was a nervous wreck but when we picked them up from the cargo depot they were absolutely fine, as if nothing had happened, and they are both pretty bad car passengers. The only problem was adjusting to new food, and one of them went on hunger strike for a few days before deciding that she was going to have to give in and eat.

The whole process was rather convoluted and (as others have said) you need export certificates, health checks, some sort of import certificate and quarantine premises. But once you work it all out it's fine.

We arranged it ourselves and flew with Air Canada. The rabbits had to fly as cargo as only cats and dogs are considered pets apparently!

Anyway, if you need any more information just PM me and I will look it all up. I don't remember how much it cost, but approaching £1000 (eek!) is springing to mind (including all airline costs, certificates, quarantine and airline approved crates).

Good luck sorting it all out!
Even cats and dogs have to be cargo on trans-atlantic flights. On some carriers for some domestic flights if you have a small enough cat or dog they may be ok to fly under your seat, but it's airline specific not animal specific.

I took a cat TO to London and it costs a ton of money what with vets bills and the flight itself. The cat was freaked out at the other end. Though it wasn't my cat (I happened to be going home to visit family and volunteered to take the cat for my brother in law), if I did have pets I don't think i'd put them through the trauma. If you know a good home to leave the rabbits with, I'd recommend that.

Plus, everytime I tell a Canadian I want a rabbit they look at me as if i'm loopy. Nowhere near as popular as pets here as back in the UK!
Old May 25th 2011, 5:26 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

My wife brought her Rabbit with us and was allowed to have it in her carry-on luggage. She had to take the batteries out though.
Old May 25th 2011, 7:00 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
My wife brought her Rabbit with us and was allowed to have it in her carry-on luggage. She had to take the batteries out though.
I wouldn't want to be on a flight with any other kind of rabbit in the carry-on luggage!
Old May 25th 2011, 11:13 pm
Forum Regular

HSJones is an unknown quantity at this point

Ah ha ha ha ha ha ha!
Old May 25th 2011, 11:15 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

el_richo is here all week ladies and gentlemen.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.