Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Anyone in Stellarton or thereabouts?

Anyone in Stellarton or thereabouts?

Old May 17th 2009, 10:20 pm
Forum Regular

NoreenC is just really niceNoreenC is just really niceNoreenC is just really niceNoreenC is just really niceNoreenC is just really niceNoreenC is just really niceNoreenC is just really niceNoreenC is just really nice
Smile Anyone in Stellarton or thereabouts?

Hi,

we are seriously looking at buying a house in Stellarton and I wondered if anybody lives there to be able to tell me more about it. We came over last year and particularly liked New Glasgow and know that Stellarton is close to it. I've found the Stellarton website and looked at that. There seem to be a few things going on there. We are looking at buying a house of about 1200 sq ft. Any ideas about heating costs and what about Broadband? I have a good package here with BT for £35 per month which includes free weekend/evening calls and unlimited Broadband. Am I right in thinking that it will cost more in Canada? My husband is Canadian and has a pension there so we're trying to estimate our monthly outgoings, heating tv, phone etc.

Thanks,

Noreen
Old May 17th 2009, 10:35 pm
Pictou County Superstar™

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone in Stellarton or thereabouts?

I lived there for a while..not a bad place really, many amenities within walking distance. There is a railway line running pretty much directly through town though, personally I'd avoid buying anywhere too close to it.

A house of that size should be reasonably cheap to run providing it's well insulated. If it's not, forget it... or get the seller to insulate it fully before you buy. Phone, internet and TV will probably set you back $100-$150 a month depending on the package.

Originally Posted by NoreenC
Hi,

we are seriously looking at buying a house in Stellarton and I wondered if anybody lives there to be able to tell me more about it. We came over last year and particularly liked New Glasgow and know that Stellarton is close to it. I've found the Stellarton website and looked at that. There seem to be a few things going on there. We are looking at buying a house of about 1200 sq ft. Any ideas about heating costs and what about Broadband? I have a good package here with BT for £35 per month which includes free weekend/evening calls and unlimited Broadband. Am I right in thinking that it will cost more in Canada? My husband is Canadian and has a pension there so we're trying to estimate our monthly outgoings, heating tv, phone etc.

Thanks,

Noreen
Old May 17th 2009, 10:43 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Noreen, we moved to New Glasgow 2 years ago and love it here. For a small community it has plenty going on and has great community spirit. Stellarton is of course almost joined on to New Glasgow, as well as Westville and Trenton so there are plenty facilities around.

Re internet connection, phones, etc - it is definitely not as cheap here. Check out BellAliant and Eastlink for price comparison (the only two companies here).

Can't really give you an estimate for heating because our house is 2700 sq ft and we have an ETS system which stores heating cheap rate overnight. We don't use oil but also have a propane fire and wood burning stove.

PS Greenhill, you just beat me too it. Long time no see
Old May 17th 2009, 10:55 pm
Pictou County Superstar™

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute

You know, it's funny you should say that. I think I saw you on Saturday. Actually it's been a bit of a weird weekend, seems everywhere I went in town I either got a fleeting glimpse of an expat going by or thought I overheard a British accent. Superstore on Friday night, I'm sure a couple there were speaking with Yorkshire accents. Today in Futureshop, I heard some Londoners. Saturday, I'm sure I saw you in Walmart and also heard another familiar accent going by... possibly Liverpudlian.

I think we're being invaded

Originally Posted by Yes-can-do
Long time no see
Old May 17th 2009, 11:03 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Greenhill
You know, it's funny you should say that. I think I saw you on Saturday. Actually it's been a bit of a weird weekend, seems everywhere I went in town I either got a fleeting glimpse of an expat going by or thought I overheard a British accent. Superstore on Friday night, I'm sure a couple there were speaking with Yorkshire accents. Today in Futureshop, I heard some Londoners. Saturday, I'm sure I saw you in Walmart and also heard another familiar accent going by... possibly Liverpudlian.

I think we're being invaded
It was me. I was in Walmart on Saturday with the ladies I support

M Dignan's ma and pa are over from Dundee at the moment so there's a definite increase in Scottish accents around The Yorkshire couple could have been a couple we know who moved here 30 years ago and still kept their accents. We were all at the Dignans house this afternoon to celebrate wee Abbey's 2nd birthday

I think it's time to close the gates to Pictou County (except for rellies) - it's full of foreigners these days
Old May 17th 2009, 11:16 pm
Pictou County Superstar™

I keep seeing British registration plates on the front of cars too... three of them in the last two weeks alone.

Also Truro last weekend. We popped into Murphy's for lunch and I'm sure half the people in there were British or Irish

I think it's time to close the gates to Pictou County (except for rellies) - it's full of foreigners these days
Old May 17th 2009, 11:19 pm
Scottish Canuck

Originally Posted by Greenhill
I keep seeing British registration plates on the front of cars too... three of them in the last two weeks alone.

Also Truro last weekend. We popped into Murphy's for lunch and I'm sure half the people in there were British or Irish

"we have the warmest waters north of the Carolinas" you know
Old May 24th 2009, 10:04 pm
Forum Regular

NoreenC is just really niceNoreenC is just really niceNoreenC is just really niceNoreenC is just really niceNoreenC is just really niceNoreenC is just really niceNoreenC is just really niceNoreenC is just really nice

Hi Noreen, we moved to New Glasgow 2 years ago and love it here. For a small community it has plenty going on and has great community spirit. Stellarton is of course almost joined on to New Glasgow, as well as Westville and Trenton so there are plenty facilities around.

Re internet connection, phones, etc - it is definitely not as cheap here. Check out BellAliant and Eastlink for price comparison (the only two companies here).

Can't really give you an estimate for heating because our house is 2700 sq ft and we have an ETS system which stores heating cheap rate overnight. We don't use oil but also have a propane fire and wood burning stove.

PS Greenhill, you just beat me too it. Long time no see
Thanks to both of you for your replies. Unfortunately we had to pull out of buying that particular house as there were too many problems. We're disappointed but will keep looking. We are planning on coming over next year. It's encouraging to hear how much you like New Glasgow. We were impressed with it. Another quick question, if you don't mind, is how have you managed regarding health care? I understand it's not easy to get registered with a Doctor. I have a pacemaker and have to have it checked yearly. My general health is very good, but I do need to get my pacemaker checked!

Thanks again, Noreen
Old May 24th 2009, 11:35 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

This site is useful.
Old May 24th 2009, 11:53 pm
Scottish Canuck

Originally Posted by NoreenC
Thanks to both of you for your replies. Unfortunately we had to pull out of buying that particular house as there were too many problems. We're disappointed but will keep looking. We are planning on coming over next year. It's encouraging to hear how much you like New Glasgow. We were impressed with it. Another quick question, if you don't mind, is how have you managed regarding health care? I understand it's not easy to get registered with a Doctor. I have a pacemaker and have to have it checked yearly. My general health is very good, but I do need to get my pacemaker checked!

Thanks again, Noreen
We did not get registered with a Dr for at least a year but used the walk-in clinic. I would think they (or your own doctor) would refer you to the hospital to get your pacemaker checked anyway.

We have been registered with a Dr in Stellarton for around 6 months although I have not needed to go see him yet.