Reload this Page >

Anyone shipped just boxes?

Anyone shipped just boxes?

Old Jun 3rd 2007, 4:04 pm
Forum Regular

theDIV is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone shipped just boxes?

Hi,
Ive read a lot of threads on here about shipping containers. Has anyone just shipped a few boxes? Can anyone recommend a good company that would do this (from Scotland to Vancouver)? Can anyone give me an idea of the cost involved in this?

thanks!
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 5:54 pm
Thinking the unthinkable.

Madmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone shipped just boxes?

Originally Posted by theDIV
Hi,
Ive read a lot of threads on here about shipping containers. Has anyone just shipped a few boxes? Can anyone recommend a good company that would do this (from Scotland to Vancouver)? Can anyone give me an idea of the cost involved in this?

thanks!
We shipped 13 boxes to Toronto by AIR with Anglo Pacific for $1400. If you wanted them by SEA then it was nearer $500.

Depends on how quickly you want them over?
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 8:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to behold

We shipped 11 boxes and used London excess baggage. They collected from our house in cheshire and then delivered to the door in Wabamun. Cost around 800 uk pounds and took about 2 mths to get to us which we did not mind as was nothing really needed desperately in them just things we did not want to leave behind, photos and stuff.
Old Jun 4th 2007, 8:18 am
Forum Regular

thanks guys, sounds like the cost can mount up, so Id better watch what I pack!
Old Jun 4th 2007, 1:57 pm
Forum Regular

uprightdog is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by theDIV
Has anyone just shipped a few boxes? Can anyone recommend a good company that would do this (from Scotland to Vancouver)? Can anyone give me an idea of the cost involved in this?
!
I'm also moving to Vancouver shortly, only in my case from Manchester. I will have only a few boxes, and obviously want to keep the price down. So far I've received only one quote, from Anglopacific (anglopacific.co.uk).

to residence
£198 for one 5 cu ft tea carton
£69 for each additional 5 cu ft tea carton (2-5)
£41 for each additional suitcase/bag or 3 cu ft export carton
£25 for each additional 2 cubic foot book carton

They provide free packing materials apparently.

I'm also waiting on a couple of more quotes. In the meantime, feel free to share any quotes you might get!
Old Jun 4th 2007, 3:12 pm
Thinking the unthinkable.

Madmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by uprightdog
I'm also moving to Vancouver shortly, only in my case from Manchester. I will have only a few boxes, and obviously want to keep the price down. So far I've received only one quote, from Anglopacific (anglopacific.co.uk).

to residence
£198 for one 5 cu ft tea carton
£69 for each additional 5 cu ft tea carton (2-5)
£41 for each additional suitcase/bag or 3 cu ft export carton
£25 for each additional 2 cubic foot book carton

They provide free packing materials apparently.

I'm also waiting on a couple of more quotes. In the meantime, feel free to share any quotes you might get!

Well you are paying for them but they do supply bubble wrap, kraft paper, packing tape and all the boxes you need. If you don't use a box you can return it to them for a refund.
Old Jun 4th 2007, 4:12 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Madmac
Well you are paying for them but they do supply bubble wrap, kraft paper, packing tape and all the boxes you need. If you don't use a box you can return it to them for a refund.
Well, guy on the phone said I wouldn't be charged for boxes.
Old Jun 4th 2007, 4:48 pm
Forum Regular

ezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really nice

Having boxes moved via airplane is very fast (with door to door delivery usually)--the only hold up will be customs, but you can expect your stuff in a matter of a couple weeks. But the important thing to remember is that if you go by air, you are paying by the weight, so this is a good option if you are shipping light stuff, like clothes etc.

But going by sea, they only care about the size of the shipment, so you can ship very heavy stuff and pay no more than you would if you moved a box of feathers. The advantage as well is that it is much cheaper than air, but of course you have to wait for room on a ship that can take your boxes--ie, a container that isn't full. We shipped our stuff from Brisbane to Vancouver by sea and it took six months door to door. No biggie as we knew it would take ages and so didn't need the things we shipped right away.

If you use sea, you don't have to worry about using light weighted packing material, so you can use clothes, bedding, towels etc. to protect your fragile goods--this is a space saver.

And yes, moving companies will supply boxes and packing material. No matter what you choose, you will still have to wait for customs to get to your boxes and provide more paper work once the boxes are in Canada--there is nothing a moving company can do to speed this part up.
Old Jun 4th 2007, 4:52 pm
Forum Regular

Further quotes in:

Excess Baggage (http://www.internationalrelocations.co.uk) quoted £229.50 for 2 tea crates.

Shipit.co.uk quoted a huge £702 to ship 2 cubic metres - that is to the Vancouver depot, not door-to-door! Maybe they are saving up for a redesign of their website, it sure needs one...
Old Jun 6th 2007, 9:12 am
Forum Regular

Excess baggage just quoted me £682 for 98 cubic feet, from Scotland to Vancouver. That was for 10 tea crates, and some other items including nest of tables, set of golf clubs, wooden chest and a couple of other items.
Old Jun 6th 2007, 9:19 am
BE Enthusiast

karla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant future

Hi,

I know this subjecy has been covered so many times and there is alot of companies out there - so why not try and do a search on "shipping boxes" or "boxes by air".

Just a thought

Karla x x x
Old Jun 6th 2007, 4:18 pm
Forum Regular

a1anm is on a distinguished road

this is the cheapest i could find - door to door delivery from Belfast to Victoria, BC:

http://www.sevenseasworldwide.com/index.aspx

£129 for 1st tea chest and £55 for every other one after that. (By Sea)

They also provide all packing materials and unused boxes can be returned.
Old Jun 6th 2007, 11:19 pm

Canada Jane has disabled reputation

We only shipped a few boxes when we moved last July. In total we had 440 kg of stuff in 15 boxes being shipped by air. The final cost was £1,268 plus insurance which was £400.

We used Excess Baggage, who I can recommend as far as providing customer service and packaging etc before the shipment. However we did have an issue with them when we got to Canada as they gave us the wrong shipping number which meant we were trying to collect someone else's boxes.

This was resolved, but needed several phone calls to the UK and we did collect everything on time and all product were ok except for one picture where the glass cracked, but otherwise fine..

You can read the full details on my blog archive entry here (if you are so inclined): http://britishexpats.com/blogs/Canad...re+stress.html

Old Jun 7th 2007, 8:38 am

Member123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello a1anm - it's good to see a fellow expat from Northern Ireland on the boards. When are you leaving - I see you are headed for BC. My OH and I are going to Saskatchewan!! Glad to see your link to the shipping company as it will come in useful for us to get shipped direct from Belfast.
Originally Posted by a1anm
this is the cheapest i could find - door to door delivery from Belfast to Victoria, BC:

http://www.sevenseasworldwide.com/index.aspx

£129 for 1st tea chest and £55 for every other one after that. (By Sea)

They also provide all packing materials and unused boxes can be returned.
Old Jun 7th 2007, 9:04 am
Forum Regular

a1anm is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Alvic
Hello a1anm - it's good to see a fellow expat from Northern Ireland on the boards. When are you leaving - I see you are headed for BC. My OH and I are going to Saskatchewan!! Glad to see your link to the shipping company as it will come in useful for us to get shipped direct from Belfast.
hi alvic - we are just playing the waiting game at the minute. Once our application gets approved we're going to hand our 1 months notice in at work and then leave. Ideally we'd like to be in Canada by the end of July. Hopefully our application will be finalised soon.

When are you planning on leaving?

We tried a lot of different shipping companies but a lot of them don't operate from Belfast. Of the ones that do this one seems to be the cheapest. I think we'll be shipping about 8 boxes for just over £500.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.