Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Anyone settled in Turner Valley/Black Diamond

Anyone settled in Turner Valley/Black Diamond

Old Jul 31st 2008, 5:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone settled in Turner Valley/Black Diamond

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
Seriously it's all down to personal choice.
I cant understand the fascination with Lake Communities
Kids

Last edited by Almost Canadian; Jul 31st 2008 at 5:54 am.
Old Jul 31st 2008, 5:53 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
\

Kids
Get them a Horse, interested in sports, go bike riding, get out of 'town'......

I see what you're saying but that ONLY (to me at least) explains families such as yourselves. Doesnt explain empty nesters or families where ALL the kids are old enough (and have the desire) to 'piss' off to the Mall (or wherever) with their friends.
Old Jul 31st 2008, 5:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Get them a Horse, interested in sports, go bike riding, get out of 'town'......

I see what you're saying but that ONLY (to me at least) explains families such as yourselves. Doesnt explain empty nesters or families where ALL the kids are old enough (and have the desire) to 'piss' off to the Mall (or wherever) with their friends.
Molly and Grace have now started riding lessons - I can see the request for an acreage is just around the corner

How do I go about growing my sixth toes
Old Jul 31st 2008, 5:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Getting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond repute

No offence intended to people who live there.

Seriously it's all down to personal choice.
I cant understand the fascination with Lake Communities, why ANYBODY would live in the far SE, Why people would choose Edmonton over Calgary, Why people snowboard instead of ski, Why ride english instead of western, Why George Strait isn't running for US President?

Am I going off track and losing the plot?
None taken.

And yes, it is all about personal choice. For us, we could easily have gone for southern reaches of Calgary (SE or SW!) instead of Okotoks but a strategy to try and construct a life here that did not depend on commuting to downtown Calgary (whilst still being able to enjoy it as and when we want to) and an affinity with the reasonably quaint (by North American standards) Okotoks downtown area, helped it to come to the fore in our decision making.

Re George Strait...we so agree!

Eamonn

Last edited by Getting There; Jul 31st 2008 at 5:58 am. Reason: typo
Old Jul 31st 2008, 7:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Little D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
This sums up how I feel about areas such as Okotoks, High River and Chestermere etc.

If you live in any of the communities in these areas, I fail to see the difference between, let's say, living in Shawnessy Sundance, except that you are that much further from the City.

Communities in the city of Calgary do not feel like inner city living in the UK (unless you are living downtown. Okotoks etc, has the same stores, laid out in the same fashion as most communities in the city. In essence, I would imagine living there is the same as living in Shawnessy etc. Granted the houses are cheaper than in the city but, for me, the additional travelling time one would have to bear each day if one works in the city, isn't worth whatever benefit there is in living in such areas.
I completely agree with you there. We found the commute from Okotoks a right pain, so moved to Evergreen. It's so much more convenient. Does not feel like living in the city, and is alot more convenient for everything.