Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

anyone return to UK then came back??

anyone return to UK then came back??

Old Jan 7th 2015, 9:59 am
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: anyone return to UK then came back??

Originally Posted by lindamchugh
Hey so I made the post but then got distracted with life to keep up the convo. To answer a few queries my children are 17 and 15, we will be here 2 years this August and I still feel the same. My daughter wants to return to Scotland to go to University and I do not want a broken family

Ironically my husband who I nagged for years to come is happy to stay and can see the better (all relative to what you consider better) prospects and lifestyle
I followed your posts from day one & you've had a tough go of it. You've been here 2 years & very shortly will *likely* be applying for Canadian citizenship.

You & yours have toughened it out. My suggestion is speak with your kids, explain this is a small step in life's journey & another couple of years in with citizenship in your pockets if she still feels she wants to go back, then everyone goes.

You'd be surprised how time is a great healer. Just look at what you've learned from all of this, which IMO will make you one heck of a go-getter should you return back home - life just wont be the same after walking in the shoes of an immigrant

All the best
Old Jan 7th 2015, 10:03 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
I followed your posts from day one & you've had a tough go of it. You've been here 2 years & very shortly will *likely* be applying for Canadian citizenship.

You & yours have toughened it out. My suggestion is speak with your kids, explain this is a small step in life's journey & another couple of years in with citizenship in your pockets if she still feels she wants to go back, then everyone goes.
I think that another 5 years or so is a more likely estimate for citizenship for the OP. Going on previous posts they only got PR in the middle of last year, given the imminent rule change that will mean they can't apply until they've spent 4 years in Canada as PR's, that will mean not being eligible to apply until 2018 and then if processing is still taking about the same amount of time it'll be 2019 at the earliest before they actually receive citizenship.
Old Jan 7th 2015, 10:28 am
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

post #62

not arguing the point, more out of interest - doesn't time here on a TWP count towards qualifying years for citizenship?

Again I don't recall the full extent of which visa's they had during the time here to PR

I suppose as you indicated it'll be a few more years than I thought before they get citizenship & if they stay to see it through, hopefully time will fly
Old Jan 7th 2015, 10:35 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
not arguing the point, more out of interest - doesn't time here on a TWP count towards qualifying years for citizenship?
No, not under the new rules that are about to be introduced. It used to, but won't be relevant for the OP by the time they're eligible.

HTH.
Old Jan 7th 2015, 10:21 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by xxdb
Everywhere in the UK is so small that they can simply walk to where you are.

Or another way of looking at it is this: due to the dampness, the chavs leak in to your manor. Boom. Boom. Anyway - even if you had a theoretically chav free area, as soon as you want to go downtown for a spot of grub or a nice glass of wine you have to deal with the yobbo culture and the vomiting and the skirmishing after hours etc etc.

On the other hand, here you have to put up with the sh!te driving, the faux-snobbery, the better-than-thou attitude, the lack of sense of humour, the clique-i-ness of the people etc etc
Do you know I just don't get why you haven't integrated well or why people don't just fall about laughing when you're near. You are hilarious.
Old Jan 7th 2015, 10:34 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tirytory
Do you know I just don't get why you haven't integrated well or why people don't just fall about laughing when you're near. You are hilarious.
Perhaps they do. Just not when he's trying to be funny.
Old Jan 8th 2015, 4:43 pm
Forum Regular

Red1974 has a reputation beyond reputeRed1974 has a reputation beyond reputeRed1974 has a reputation beyond reputeRed1974 has a reputation beyond reputeRed1974 has a reputation beyond reputeRed1974 has a reputation beyond reputeRed1974 has a reputation beyond reputeRed1974 has a reputation beyond reputeRed1974 has a reputation beyond reputeRed1974 has a reputation beyond reputeRed1974 has a reputation beyond repute

We originally came in April 2010 & returned to the UK June 2011 thinking we were too homesick for our families. After 10 months my husband, son & I all wished we had never left. We then got in touch with friends & an old employer & returned 2012. We now have PR and intend to only return for holidays.

we returned thinking things would be different but the thing was, nothing changed, life still continued without us & the area we come from life styles were still shit & work bad, but more importantly we had changed as a family & what we expected out of life. Canada did that & we longed for a stress free, relaxed environment again. Many thousands of £s & $s spent both times but hey its only money, long term happiness is far more important.
Old Jan 8th 2015, 4:51 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red1974
We originally came in April 2010 & returned to the UK June 2011 thinking we were too homesick for our families. After 10 months my husband, son & I all wished we had never left. We then got in touch with friends & an old employer & returned 2012. We now have PR and intend to only return for holidays.

we returned thinking things would be different but the thing was, nothing changed, life still continued without us & the area we come from life styles were still shit & work bad, but more importantly we had changed as a family & what we expected out of life. Canada did that & we longed for a stress free, relaxed environment again. Many thousands of £s & $s spent both times but hey its only money, long term happiness is far more important.
Old Jan 8th 2015, 4:58 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

A salutary lesson. I wish a learning experience like that could be part of the curriculum for immigration that everyone (who wanted to) could experience.
Old Jan 8th 2015, 5:03 pm
Forum Regular

Red1974 has a reputation beyond reputeRed1974 has a reputation beyond reputeRed1974 has a reputation beyond reputeRed1974 has a reputation beyond reputeRed1974 has a reputation beyond reputeRed1974 has a reputation beyond reputeRed1974 has a reputation beyond reputeRed1974 has a reputation beyond reputeRed1974 has a reputation beyond reputeRed1974 has a reputation beyond reputeRed1974 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
A salutary lesson. I wish a learning experience like that could be part of the curriculum for immigration that everyone (who wanted to) could experience.
It was defiantly an eye opener for me, and I am a person who does not like to live on regrets & once i make a decision I normally don't go back on it, I like to go forward & not live in the past, however this was to strong to ignore, especially when it was affecting my son.

However I have a friend who had dreamed of living in canada for over 10 years, to come over, live in 2 different cities & return to the UK 2 years ago & is happy then she has ever been. Whats right for one is not for another.
Old Jan 8th 2015, 5:11 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

It was defiantly an eye opener for me, and I am a person who does not like to live on regrets & once i make a decision I normally don't go back on it, I like to go forward & not live in the past, however this was to strong to ignore, especially when it was affecting my son.

)
Actually, you didn't go back on anything. You moved forward each time. You did what you thought best at each juncture.

Was it your son that wanted to return to Canada?
Old Jan 8th 2015, 5:14 pm
Forum Regular

Was it your son that wanted to return to Canada?[/QUOTE]

He never wanted to leave! It was all very selfish on our part, & when we told him we were returning he asked when the flight was & when i informed his school they said they were not surprised as he never spoke of anything else..
Old Jan 8th 2015, 5:16 pm
Yo

He never wanted to leave! It was all very selfish on our part, & when we told him we were returning he asked when the flight was & when i informed his school they said they were not surprised as he never spoke of anything else..[/QUOTE]

How old is he ?
Old Jan 8th 2015, 5:16 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

He never wanted to leave! It was all very selfish on our part, & when we told him we were returning he asked when the flight was & when i informed his school they said they were not surprised as he never spoke of anything else..[/QUOTE]

Good for you. It's tough. But I'm really glad it has worked out in the end!
Old Jan 8th 2015, 5:22 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Shard
He never wanted to leave! It was all very selfish on our part, & when we told him we were returning he asked when the flight was & when i informed his school they said they were not surprised as he never spoke of anything else..
How old is he ?[/QUOTE]

He is now 11 soon to be 12, came when he had just turned 7. Dont get me wrong there were many many bumps in the road to get to the point we are now with him but he finds school here alot easier, and the kids are not as harsh as in the UK. Being here has taught me how hard faced the kids are in the UK, environment and circumstances i think is the reason for this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.