Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Anyone in Quinte Region?

Anyone in Quinte Region?

Old Feb 24th 2006, 7:32 am
Forum Regular

susie evans is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Anyone in Quinte Region?

Hi there, just wondered if anyone out there has emigrated to the Quinte region, particularly Belleville or Prince Edward County? We really like the look of the area and wondered how any of you are getting on and how you are enjoying it (or not!). Thanks, Susie
Old Feb 24th 2006, 11:35 am
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone in Quinte Region?

Originally Posted by susie evans
Hi there, just wondered if anyone out there has emigrated to the Quinte region, particularly Belleville or Prince Edward County? We really like the look of the area and wondered how any of you are getting on and how you are enjoying it (or not!). Thanks, Susie

Not exactly in the Quinte region but close to it in sleepy old Napanee. Been here over 25 years and like it especially now that I'm close to retirement.

Good points are

1) Laid back small town lifestyle

2) Reasonable property costs

3) Good recreational opportunities (picnics, beaches, golf, boating, fishing, other sports etc.)

4) No traffic jams

5) Montreal, Toronto, Ottawa 2-3 hrs away by road or train.

6) Winters aren't as severe as Ottawa or Montreal.

Bad points are

1) Getting a decent job can be difficult (I lived here and worked in Toronto for about 5 years)

Iaink is the expert.
Old Feb 24th 2006, 11:49 am

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

If you wait a while, ian will show up. He lives there.
Old Feb 24th 2006, 12:01 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Souvenir
If you wait a while, ian will show up. He lives there.

Thanks very much - all your points for and against is pretty much what we were expecting. We were thinking of running a bed and breakfast (possibly organic). I'll wait for Ian to show up!
Old Feb 24th 2006, 12:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks very much - all your points for and against is pretty much what we were expecting. We were thinking of running a bed and breakfast (possibly organic). I'll wait for Ian to show up!
My wife and I considered the B & B route too and the research we did re the Quinte area including Prince Edward County indicated the Glenora/Picton area However, property prices in the Picton area tend to be expensive and indications are that this will continue to be the case for a number of reasons including 'grape/wine industry' that I am told is starting to focus on this area. As for the area regarding quality of life, in my humble opinion it has a great deal going for it.

Last edited by macadian; Feb 24th 2006 at 12:25 pm.
Old Feb 24th 2006, 1:17 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Here I am.

Been here 8 years now. Got a job here when in the UK, didnt know anything about the place.

Guess it depends what you are looking for in life, but I have no regrets about moving here. I actually live in the more northern bit, near Stirling, a bit up form Belleville and Trenton.

Flashman summed it up pretty well. Close enough to the major cities when I want to go (not often), cheap property compared to other areas a similar distance from TO, with the advantage we are closer to Ottawa and Montreal, Plus the cost of and standard of living is great.

There are a few B&Bs around, but we are not saturated for sure. Sandbanks is probably the major tourist attraction round here, but that part of the county also takes more of a hammering from winter storms off the lake.

I think there is room for tourism growth, it seems to be coming up on the radar, and Ive seen mentions of it as a hidden vacation gem in the Globe and Mail and the CAA magazine, both relatively recently.

There are real jobs, mainly in Belleville. Its not a huge market, but then there is not the same number of people applying either, and there is not the market saturation for newcommers that seems to exist in the larger cities that people usually gravitate towards. As a brit I have not had any issues with qualifications or experience recognision, but I think networking plays a part in landing good jobs here (which of course dont pay as much as GTA jobs, but then they dont have to), it helps to know someone who knows someone I suspect, but thats not so different to anywhere else in Canada.

Come visit and see what you think.

Last edited by iaink; Feb 24th 2006 at 1:35 pm.
Old Feb 24th 2006, 1:49 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by iaink
Here I am.

Been here 8 years now. Got a job here when in the UK, didnt know anything about the place.

Guess it depends what you are looking for in life, but I have no regrets about moving here. I actually live in the more northern bit, near Stirling, a bit up form Belleville and Trenton.

Flashman summed it up pretty well. Close enough to the major cities when I want to go (not often), cheap property compared to other areas a similar distance from TO, with the advantage we are closer to Ottawa and Montreal, Plus the cost of and standard of living is great.

There are a few B&Bs around, but we are not saturated for sure. Sandbanks is probably the major tourist attraction round here, but that part of the county also takes more of a hammering from winter storms off the lake.

I think there is room for tourism growth, it seems to be coming up on the radar, and Ive seen mentions of it as a hidden vacation gem in the Globe and Mail and the CAA magazine, both relatively recently.

There are real jobs, mainly in Belleville. Its not a huge market, but then there is not the same number of people applying either, and there is not the market saturation for newcommers that seems to exist in the larger cities that people usually gravitate towards. As a brit I have not had any issues with qualifications or experience recognision, but I think networking plays a part in landing good jobs here (which of course dont pay as much as GTA jobs, but then they dont have to), it helps to know someone who knows someone I suspect, but thats not so different to anywhere else in Canada.

Come visit and see what you think.
My homework via the wonderful internet seems to back up what you are saying. In the UK we live "away from it all" but "near enough if you want it" and that appeals for Canada also.
It seems that this area does have tourism based on canadians "escaping the city" for the weekend. So I hope that a B&B would prove useful. Certainly for me anyway - hubby can go out and get a real job!
Am applying for Visa now and will come over and see Quinte next year when our application will hopefully be half way there.
Do you spend any time in Belleville itself? is there plenty to entertain you if and when you need it?
Susie
Old Feb 24th 2006, 2:00 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Do you spend any time in Belleville itself? is there plenty to entertain you if and when you need it?
Susie
I work in Belleville, so yes

Right now we have two small kids, so not much opportunity to go out and be entertained, but there are restaurants (no decent indian though ), multiplex cinema, theater etc, as well as the usual small town stuff.

If you want something a bit more up scale TO is easy to get to and has everything you could think of, and in the great canadian scale of things a 2h drive or train ride is not so bad, or we just make a day of it and get a hotel there if its a late stop. Driving is easy here for the most part.

Last edited by iaink; Feb 24th 2006 at 2:13 pm.
Old Feb 24th 2006, 3:44 pm
Forum Regular

Talking Re: Anyone in Quinte Region?

I work in Belleville, so yes

Right now we have two small kids, so not much opportunity to go out and be entertained, but there are restaurants (no decent indian though ), multiplex cinema, theater etc, as well as the usual small town stuff.

If you want something a bit more up scale TO is easy to get to and has everything you could think of, and in the great canadian scale of things a 2h drive or train ride is not so bad, or we just make a day of it and get a hotel there if its a late stop. Driving is easy here for the most part.
Not much chance for us either as we've got two small kids and escaping is difficult here - shame about the indian - we like our takeaways! -Can I ask what you do for a living?
Old Feb 24th 2006, 4:00 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Not much chance for us either as we've got two small kids and escaping is difficult here - shame about the indian - we like our takeaways! -Can I ask what you do for a living?
Mainly Engineering, on good day Today is not a good day!

Sometimes if we are in Kingston for something well go to one of the indian restaurants there. Otherwise I've got pretty handy at DIY bhajis now
Old Feb 24th 2006, 5:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

Mainly Engineering, on good day Today is not a good day!

Sometimes if we are in Kingston for something well go to one of the indian restaurants there. Otherwise I've got pretty handy at DIY bhajis now

Maybe it's time for a career change!

How about a Curry Joint in Belleville?
Old Feb 24th 2006, 6:23 pm
Forum Regular

johnnyc has a brilliant futurejohnnyc has a brilliant futurejohnnyc has a brilliant futurejohnnyc has a brilliant futurejohnnyc has a brilliant futurejohnnyc has a brilliant future

We are planning to go to Belleville this summer (If the PPR's arrive in time)We have lots of friends there and really like the feel of the place.We last visited Aug 05 and had a great time.

Last edited by johnnyc; Feb 24th 2006 at 6:26 pm.
Old Feb 24th 2006, 6:35 pm

Canada Jane has disabled reputation
Red face Re: Anyone in Quinte Region?

Hi all

We are visiting this area in April. We are staying in Belleville, but will be looking at the general Quinte area and Prince Edward County as well as the Kingston, Napanee areas.

If we love it as much as we suspect, we hope to buy a house whilst there and then land once the house purchase has been completed and our house in the UK is sold (in a perfect world anyway). Our passports are currently with CHC having lovely new visas put in them.

We will let you all know what we think of the area on our return and if our house plans have worked out as we hope.

regards
Jane
Old Feb 24th 2006, 6:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Johnny C & Canada Jane,

If you send me a PM when you're going to be in the area I'll treat you to a coffee at the nearest Timmy's
Old Feb 24th 2006, 6:58 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by Canada Jane
Hi all

We are visiting this area in April. We are staying in Belleville,
My brother is visiting in July. He found this site usefull for finding alternate accomodation, rather than the usual hotel options.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.