Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

anyone moved over with kids near christmas??

anyone moved over with kids near christmas??

Old Aug 24th 2006, 6:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to behold
Default anyone moved over with kids near christmas??

Hello
Not sure when we would be going yet as waiting on work permit and house to sell but have been thinking about what will happen about christmas!!
I am telling people not to buy us anything this christmas just money as would only been extra stuff to bring over with us... but we have a 3 year old daughter and not sure what to do... obviously i want 'father christmas' to visit her but just means even more toys to take??

Anyone got any tips/advice??
Old Aug 24th 2006, 6:23 pm
End of the line

IceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: anyone moved over with kids near christmas??

Originally Posted by Sarahad
Hello
Not sure when we would be going yet as waiting on work permit and house to sell but have been thinking about what will happen about christmas!!
I am telling people not to buy us anything this christmas just money as would only been extra stuff to bring over with us... but we have a 3 year old daughter and not sure what to do... obviously i want 'father christmas' to visit her but just means even more toys to take??

Well I don't have young children any more but just a thought ..... can you have a 'small' christmas celebration and tell her that Santa says that she can go to the stores in Canada to choose from the toys there. They will have some that are the same as the Uk and lots that will be different and Santa will either leave some for her in Canada (after you've bought them after you arrive), you could then have a 'second' christmas celebration.

When we travelled when ours were young, we told them that Santa would deliver theirs a bit later so that we can have a 'special christmas'.

Worth a thought? Good luck.
Old Aug 24th 2006, 6:24 pm
Forum Regular

cakeychef has a brilliant futurecakeychef has a brilliant futurecakeychef has a brilliant futurecakeychef has a brilliant futurecakeychef has a brilliant futurecakeychef has a brilliant futurecakeychef has a brilliant future
Wink Re: anyone moved over with kids near christmas??

Hello

hi we'r emoving nov 24 to perth, the children are 9 & 8. we just taking some of their smallgames in suitcases. as for xmas pressents, hoping to have money of family & will buy out there, wet suit, surf board etc.

good luck
simon
Old Aug 24th 2006, 6:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to beholdSarahad is a splendid one to behold

Good idea... she is only 3 and a half and has already started saying what she wants off father christmas!!
Old Aug 24th 2006, 6:37 pm
End of the line

IceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of light

Good idea... she is only 3 and a half and has already started saying what she wants off father christmas!!
So therefore just get one or two things here - that should keep her happy and tell her that Santa has said she can have 'another christmas' in Canada with even more presents. She's lucky because she is going to have 2 christmases.

I've worked with children for many years and have 3 (adults now) of my own - there are ways around everything. Been there, done that, got the t shirt
Old Aug 24th 2006, 6:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks! I know she is only 3 and wont really know the difference if she got 3 presents or 30 presents!! But its just how you feel yourself isnt it!! I spose though a new life in Canada is a pretty good christmas present..!!
Old Aug 24th 2006, 6:49 pm
End of the line

Thanks! I know she is only 3 and wont really know the difference if she got 3 presents or 30 presents!! But its just how you feel yourself isnt it!! I spose though a new life in Canada is a pretty good christmas present..!!

Not to a 3yr old!!
Although remember to tell her that Santa says that she'll have all new coat, gloves etc too (well if you've got to get it for her anyway....)

As I said I have been through a lot when mine were small so feel free to PM me if you want. It is a stressful time thinking of the what ifs and trying to think everything through in advance. I do understand.
Old Aug 24th 2006, 9:56 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

We went away for our last crimbo before moving here, got the in/outlaws used to the fact we weren't going to be around and got us used to the fact we weren't going to be around I think the idea of two christmases/or waiting till you get here to get pressies is a good idea - you could get her, her 1st set of ice skates! If you move before christmas get you families to give you some cash to get her gifts this end - as for gifts for you - cash is good too, you can send photo's back of the pressies your family 'bought' for you. If there is anything your daughter MUST have get it there as they may not have it here - there is still pokemon for sale here and I haven't seen teletubbies. BUT mine is 11 and not into that anymore, but I do look out for my nephew! OH! Bring a christmas PUD please
Old Aug 24th 2006, 10:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
We went away for our last crimbo before moving here, got the in/outlaws used to the fact we weren't going to be around and got us used to the fact we weren't going to be around I think the idea of two christmases/or waiting till you get here to get pressies is a good idea - you could get her, her 1st set of ice skates! If you move before christmas get you families to give you some cash to get her gifts this end - as for gifts for you - cash is good too, you can send photo's back of the pressies your family 'bought' for you. If there is anything your daughter MUST have get it there as they may not have it here - there is still pokemon for sale here and I haven't seen teletubbies. BUT mine is 11 and not into that anymore, but I do look out for my nephew! OH! Bring a christmas PUD please

Well we are hoping to get there and get settled before christmas but obviously all depends on how long the work permit takes and the house getting sold... the sooner the better!! Will bring some pud if can fit it in case hee hee!!
Old Aug 25th 2006, 12:21 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

I can only imagine what the West Ed Mall will be like around Christmas time!!

You will need to get some "presents" to keep her occupied during the flight anyway, eg storybooks and colouring stuff. Things that can be produced during the journey and so break it up a bit sound like a good idea. (mine are somewhat older so it didn't apply ... but I wouldn't look forward to keeping a lil'un occupied in a plane seat for 9 hours! ) :scared:
Old Aug 25th 2006, 1:33 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Well we are hoping to get there and get settled before christmas but obviously all depends on how long the work permit takes and the house getting sold... the sooner the better!! Will bring some pud if can fit it in case hee hee!!
Decent mince pies are hard to come by too, my sister sent me some Marks and Sparks ones last year - easier if you brought some, mine came in time for easter Still delish though!
Old Aug 25th 2006, 1:46 am
BE Enthusiast

tallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
Decent mince pies are hard to come by too, my sister sent me some Marks and Sparks ones last year - easier if you brought some, mine came in time for easter Still delish though!
Funnily enough I made a load of mince pies today! No, not in time for christmas but to scoff right now! I and the kids love them Have never managed to persuade the OH, being a frenchman he thinks they are just weird!
Old Aug 25th 2006, 7:52 am
Forum Regular

silver birch has a brilliant futuresilver birch has a brilliant futuresilver birch has a brilliant futuresilver birch has a brilliant futuresilver birch has a brilliant futuresilver birch has a brilliant future

Hello

We have the same dilemma - if all goes to plan (and when does that ever happen ), we will be moving over in early December to have Christmas in NS. The added complication is that the children are 6 at the end of November and we really want to have a party for them before we leave. We don't want loads of presents then as we may have already shipped our stuff at that point so I am trying to think of how best to handle it without upsetting the kids or offending anyone. If we say no presents it seems really mean but I don't like asking people to give money and gift vouchers won't apply. One possibility a friend suggested is to have a piggy bank at the party that people can stick money in if they want to, then we can buy stuff in Canada. As for Christmas, hopefully we will have time when we arrive to shop for presents but we regularly have two Christmases in the UK - one at home with the children and one with the wider family - the kids love the idea of getting presents twice and we just say that Santa delivered presents in two places (too much sherry ). The suggestion of small items that could then be used on the journey is a good one as well as stuff you will need as soon as you arrive. Thanks Morwenna and Ice Queen!
Old Aug 25th 2006, 2:46 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

I think you can explain that you don't want "presents" because of travelling, but personally I'd say be careful asking for money.

A work colleague put a note in her wedding invitations requesting cash rather than gifts, and while it made sense, I can't remember the wording, but it was extraordinarily offensive and presumptious! To begin with I thought it was just me, and then I heard other colleagues saying the same thing.

If people wish to give something, and they understand your reasons for not wanting bulk, they should be able to work out for themselves what to give you.

The piggy bank idea is not bad, but I can see two drawbacks ... 1- It is a mute appeal for cash, and people may feel obliged. 2 - if people do give, they generally do not want to do it anonymously as they like to be thanked!

I'm sorry if I am seeming contradictory ..... but there's none so queer as folks, is all, and feelings are easily hurt!

Last edited by Alberta_Rose; Aug 25th 2006 at 2:49 pm.
Old Aug 25th 2006, 3:06 pm
Forum Regular

dentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud of

christmas is a difficult thing , my boys are 15 and 18 and still have the santa sack i made for them as babies. i tried one year not to use it , there was near enough a riot, they like all the selection boxes etc. with that aside , we have spent the last 10 years having christmas abroad on holiday , , and although they were 5 and 8 the fisrt time away , i still made an effort with the xmas morning thing and took presents , not as many and they were usually holiday orientated , but i have found the boys accepted christmas well and although sometimes it was 90 degrees and we woke up in a hotel room , we still had the present opening as normal.
although money is nice , presents are always best

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.