Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Anyone moved to Coquitlam?

Anyone moved to Coquitlam?

Old Nov 21st 2009, 5:07 am
BE Enthusiast

canadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Anyone moved to Coquitlam?

I concur with some of the other comments. Port Moody is really pleasant particularly the north part. I looked at a load of properties there and it's amazing. Poco looks good to. I may well be moving there spring next year.

A friend warned me about the West Coast express and I'm passing on this warning. There is a fast train service to downtown (waterfront), north of the city. The service is quite limited in terms of numbers of trains. Apparently they don't run late or all day. But plenty of people use it every day. Just something to bear in mind if you plan to use public transit. But public transit is way cheaper here than most in UK.

Best of luck.

Originally Posted by Kers1978
Hi Guys, Currently on holiday and staying in Abbottsford. I love town life for my kids but also like the buzz of the city at times. Coquitlam has been recommended as a good place and not too far from Vancouver.
Has anyone moved there from London/UK and can let me know how their experiences were like.
Schools are of great importance as i have a 3/5 and 13 year old.
Also what is the transport system like etc?
Any advice would be much appreciated.

K
Old Nov 21st 2009, 6:15 am
Best Place on Earth- LMAO

jandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Guys, Currently on holiday and staying in Abbottsford. I love town life for my kids but also like the buzz of the city at times. Coquitlam has been recommended as a good place and not too far from Vancouver.
Has anyone moved there from London/UK and can let me know how their experiences were like.
Schools are of great importance as i have a 3/5 and 13 year old.
Also what is the transport system like etc?
Any advice would be much appreciated.

K
For public transportaion there is the planned Evergreen line, a light rail transit system running from Lougheed station to Douglas College in Coquitlam and links with the West Coast Express. It's supposed to be complete by 2014.

http://www.evergreenline.gov.bc.ca/
Old Nov 21st 2009, 6:12 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't hold my breath about the Evergreen, where's the funding?

I agree with the other comments. If I had to live east-er, I'd take Port Moody over the 'Lam. Though, we have friends in Westwood Plateau, which is a quiet, nice family area near a good (allegedly) Catholic school, lots of mid 90's monster homes and big trees.
Old Nov 29th 2009, 1:53 am
Forum Regular

Kers1978 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lychee
I assume you've explored random Coquitlam streets via Google Street View? It'll give you a sense of the area if you haven't quite explored it.

Coquitlam in Google Street view
Hey, thanks a lot. I'm not great with these new applications. But looks like it will be a great help. I'd better get the Man of the house to help!
Old Nov 29th 2009, 2:08 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
I wouldn't hold my breath about the Evergreen, where's the funding?

I agree with the other comments. If I had to live east-er, I'd take Port Moody over the 'Lam. Though, we have friends in Westwood Plateau, which is a quiet, nice family area near a good (allegedly) Catholic school, lots of mid 90's monster homes and big trees.
Oh Okay! I thought Coquitlam was closer to Vancouver then Port Moody. What's wrong with the Westcoast express? Thanks so much guys. This is such a minefield. Have any of you guys immigrants? It sounds like you know your stuff. I will look into Co, Port Moody and Westwood Plateau. The need to juggle affordability and distance to down town Van is doing my head in....
Old Nov 29th 2009, 5:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

Oh Okay! I thought Coquitlam was closer to Vancouver then Port Moody. What's wrong with the Westcoast express? Thanks so much guys. This is such a minefield. Have any of you guys immigrants? It sounds like you know your stuff. I will look into Co, Port Moody and Westwood Plateau. The need to juggle affordability and distance to down town Van is doing my head in....
Port Moody's north of Coquitlam - both cities are equal distances east of Vancouver. Many people like Port Moody because it's along the water and therefore slightly more appealing/distinct than Coquitlam (which is slightly more generic suburbia).

There's nothing wrong with the West Coast Express - it's a commuter train which caters exclusively to commuters who work the 9-5 Monday-Friday schedule. It travels westbound in the morning and eastbound in the evening. The schedule is not flexible. It's not as flexible as the skytrain or the bus.

Look at the schedule:

http://www.westcoastexpress.com/sche...ageID=SCHEDULE

They have 5 departures from Port Moody heading west into Vancouver between 6:15am and 8:15am.

They then have 5 departures from downtown Vancouver heading east back into Port Moody and beyond from 4:11pm to 6:41pm.

The train doesn't operate on weekends.
Old Nov 29th 2009, 6:16 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

There's nothing wrong with the West Coast Express - it's a commuter train which caters exclusively to commuters who work the 9-5 Monday-Friday schedule. It travels westbound in the morning and eastbound in the evening. The schedule is not flexible. It's not as flexible as the skytrain or the bus.

That's what's wrong with West Coast Express.
Old Nov 29th 2009, 7:01 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, and that it's packed, but that's a whole 'nother thread.

It depends where you are in Coquitlam vis a vis Port Moody. For instance, Westwood Plateau is quite a lot further east into Coquitlam and the transit is not great from that area. If you would rather be closer to transit/lesser commute I'd avoid it. Also, it's at a higher elevation which means you'll definitely be dealing with snow during the winter, which will effect your commute. People choose it because it's quiet and it feels far from the city, which it is. It's also a more expensive area. There's a small shopping centre there too.

Agree with Lychee that the appeal of Port Moody is that it's waterside, with views of the inlet/mountains. I love Newport Village there - part of the reason I'd choose PM over the Lam. And if you buy close to the WCE, it's only 20 mins to DT.

If you're interested in using the skytrain, the Burquitlam (burnaby/coquitlam) border area is a good choice around Lougheed Skytrain station. It is a more built up/trafficky area though. Still $$$ for a house. But there are single family houses not that far from the skytrain station. There is also Lougheed Mall, big box stores, and redevelopment coming to that area.
Old Nov 29th 2009, 7:48 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

It's a handy place to live for a cheap meal at Ikea.
Old Dec 1st 2009, 9:24 pm
Forum Regular

Port Moody's north of Coquitlam - both cities are equal distances east of Vancouver. Many people like Port Moody because it's along the water and therefore slightly more appealing/distinct than Coquitlam (which is slightly more generic suburbia).

Look at the schedule:

http://www.westcoastexpress.com/sche...ageID=SCHEDULE

They have 5 departures from Port Moody heading west into Vancouver between 6:15am and 8:15am.

They then have 5 departures from downtown Vancouver heading east back into Port Moody and beyond from 4:11pm to 6:41pm.

Fantastic help. Thank you so much. Its really useful. I have been offered a job now so its a matter of time before the ball is rolling for my Visa. Im excited but also incredibly nervous. All happening so fast~!!!