Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Anyone live in Canmore or Banff?

Anyone live in Canmore or Banff?

Old Jun 22nd 2014, 9:56 pm
Forum Regular

Bertie41 is a splendid one to beholdBertie41 is a splendid one to beholdBertie41 is a splendid one to beholdBertie41 is a splendid one to beholdBertie41 is a splendid one to beholdBertie41 is a splendid one to beholdBertie41 is a splendid one to beholdBertie41 is a splendid one to beholdBertie41 is a splendid one to beholdBertie41 is a splendid one to beholdBertie41 is a splendid one to behold
Default Anyone live in Canmore or Banff?

Hi

We are planning to move to either Canmore or Banff next spring, however we are a little worried about the lack of accommodation. We like the idea of hopefully lots of low wage jobs available but worried about living there as there doesnt seem to be much specially if you have pets (2 cats).

The other option is to move to BC but in that case the worry is getting work. I am a teaching assistant and my hubbie is a driver for a local furniture company. However I cant get a job as a TA in Canada unless I go back to school......errr no thanks cant afford it :-(

So anyone got any suggestions for a flat/condo/small house or where to go about finding one, plus the best time of year to find one.

Many thanks :-)
Old Jun 22nd 2014, 11:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone live in Canmore or Banff?

Originally Posted by Bertie41
Hi

We are planning to move to either Canmore or Banff next spring, however we are a little worried about the lack of accommodation. We like the idea of hopefully lots of low wage jobs available but worried about living there as there doesnt seem to be much specially if you have pets (2 cats).

The other option is to move to BC but in that case the worry is getting work. I am a teaching assistant and my hubbie is a driver for a local furniture company. However I cant get a job as a TA in Canada unless I go back to school......errr no thanks cant afford it :-(

So anyone got any suggestions for a flat/condo/small house or where to go about finding one, plus the best time of year to find one.

Many thanks :-)
I believe that anyone can live in either Banff or Canmore, but that there are restrictions on who can own property in Banff. I don't believe that there are any such restrictions in Canmore.
Old Jun 22nd 2014, 11:53 pm
Forum Regular

Bertie41 is a splendid one to beholdBertie41 is a splendid one to beholdBertie41 is a splendid one to beholdBertie41 is a splendid one to beholdBertie41 is a splendid one to beholdBertie41 is a splendid one to beholdBertie41 is a splendid one to beholdBertie41 is a splendid one to beholdBertie41 is a splendid one to beholdBertie41 is a splendid one to beholdBertie41 is a splendid one to behold

Sorry i needed to make it clear we will be renting a property, or rather trying to.

Thanks anyway for your reply AC :-)
Old Jun 23rd 2014, 7:06 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Canmore appears to have more rental potential than Banff - but will you be able to find work there? Are you in Canada now?

Padmapper is quite good for searching for rentals

Apartments for Rent - PadMapper Apartment Search for Oodle, Rent.com, Kijiji, and Craigslist Apartments
Old Jun 23rd 2014, 7:10 pm
Forum Regular

MountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond repute

Banff can be easy to find accommodation depending on the time of year April-May and September-October is the best time to look as it's when the season workers leave and more rentals become available. The height of winter season January-February you will be lucky to get anything decent.
Old Jun 23rd 2014, 7:11 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Siouxie thats helpful

And yes we are in Canada at the mo but the other side of the country, NS. So no chance of a recee visit, we shall just be taking a chance, a big chance!
Old Jun 23rd 2014, 7:14 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Mountain Hiker, we are planning to arrive somewhere between end of April and beginning of May
Old Jun 23rd 2014, 7:38 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Mountain Hiker, we are planning to arrive somewhere between end of April and beginning of May
On the stroke of midnight?
Old Jun 23rd 2014, 7:47 pm

TheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond repute

If only I'd seen this post a few days ago!! A friend of mine has just rented out a condo in Canmore! I live about 40 minutes or so from Canmore and rental prices there are considerably higher than here. Unfortunately you pay a premium for the mountains.
Old Jun 23rd 2014, 8:00 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you so much Thornes, I have PM you :-)
Old Jun 23rd 2014, 9:04 pm
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Photoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond repute

If I can ask, why specifically Canmore and Banff?

Depending on what you're looking for, Cochrane might be a good option too. Closer to the mountains than Calgary proper, but close enough to Calgary itself to have access to its job market.
Old Jun 23rd 2014, 9:08 pm
Forum Regular

The main reasons for Canmore and Banff are 2. One is my hubbie is a ski instructor and we want to go down the seasonal work route. And two is I have lost all confidence in myself as an employable person due to living in NS where there is no work, I cant even get a job at the local supermarket or Tims. So we felt with all the seasonal work generated by the tourists Im sure even I can get a job.
Old Jun 23rd 2014, 9:29 pm
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Photoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond repute

The main reasons for Canmore and Banff are 2. One is my hubbie is a ski instructor and we want to go down the seasonal work route. And two is I have lost all confidence in myself as an employable person due to living in NS where there is no work, I cant even get a job at the local supermarket or Tims. So we felt with all the seasonal work generated by the tourists Im sure even I can get a job.
I get the seasonal work thing. Lived in a few ski hills in France for a few years, what seems like a lifetime ago.

Bear in mind that competition in ski towns is fierce with all the local, regional, national, and international (Working Holiday Visa) seasonal migrants.
Old Jun 23rd 2014, 9:41 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

I do understand the undermined confidence with relation to work - but it's not just a NS problem, trust me. With more than 25 years of experience as an administrator and office manager I couldn't get any job at all either (including Tim's and the big box stores) despite there being plenty of jobs available.