Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Anyone know any thing about Electrics?

Anyone know any thing about Electrics?

Old Mar 23rd 2004, 11:11 am
Forum Regular

weezypenguin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone know any thing about Electrics?

I need some one to help me figure something out with Uk to Canda Electrics.
I realise you can get step up and down transformers.
But i hav a UK cooker electric Hob. I had the same one in the UK and it is damn site cheaper and more uptodate than over hear. My question is that this needs to have a hard wire connection and not a plug. Does anyone know of any step up and down transformers which will allow this kind of connection.
Also while i am on. Does anyone know anything about Sataltie TV. Specifically SKY in UK, what satalit does it use?
Hope everyone has suvived the cold. I have been in Winnipeg for nearly a year know but brought my family to Winnipeg in middle of a blizzard and the 2 months of -50.
Drop me a line please these are quite important questions for me to find answers.
Cheers
Rob
Old Mar 24th 2004, 3:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Mike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant future

Not an expert but I believe Sky broadcasts from the Astra satellite. What’s to stop you from disconnecting the plug from your transformer and running a length of flex to your hob
Old Mar 24th 2004, 4:44 am
Just going for Holidays

liftman is a jewel in the roughliftman is a jewel in the roughliftman is a jewel in the roughliftman is a jewel in the rough

You will probably find that the supply to your stove in canada is already 220v.
110v does not pack enough punch to run a stove.
Either get an electrician to check your supply voltage, or look on your old stove. There should be a data plate that lists 220v 60Hz
That would be compatible with UK 220v 50Hz
Old Mar 24th 2004, 1:57 pm
Forum Regular

CJ6680 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anyone know any thing about Electrics?

hi rob its claire from winterpeg,
columbus radio tel: 775 0435 on 1151 sanford ave (Behind the brick at polo park)

he specializes in transformers and everything like that, he sorted all our electrical needs for us and he´s great.
give him a go.
Old Mar 24th 2004, 7:13 pm
Just going for Holidays

liftman is a jewel in the roughliftman is a jewel in the roughliftman is a jewel in the roughliftman is a jewel in the rough

You will also need to check the fuse rating for this appliance.

Also the wattage of what you are taking out against what is going in.

The maximum wattage is calculated by:

Fuse value in amps x supply voltage

ie 13A x 240v = 3120 watts or 3.1Kw

The contributor above with an electrician would be the best bet as they will have the gear to test all this whilst being safe.

There is not masses of work here so it should not be too expensive!