Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Anyone here work in Schools in BC Canada?

Anyone here work in Schools in BC Canada?

Old Mar 30th 2016, 10:10 am
Forum Regular

FromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Schools

Originally Posted by Snowy560
I was reading through this thread and wondering the same as Shirtback: how are you going to "move to BC" to do all this?

Are you coming as a business visitor?

Or are you just coming to a conference for a few days in the summer?

S
i am just attending the conference/wellness event this summer for market research purposes which will then inform my decision as to what i need to do to adapt my services for the Canadian market

i was also looking to book up some meetings outside of the event with the relevant persons (teacher/ assistant superintendent/union/school board etc??) also as part of market research

posting here on this Forum was an attempt to get a better idea of who it might be best to have the meetings with. In the UK, i liaise with Deputy headteachers for pastoral care/safeguarding leads

so i will be attending the conference as a delegate and in Canada as a business visitor in the summer

Last edited by FromUKtoBC; Mar 30th 2016 at 10:35 am.
Old Mar 30th 2016, 10:31 am
Forum Regular

FromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shirtback

Receptivity at the event won't be a problem. Do not expect any tangible or concrete results from event attendance.

I meant provincial government. It's very unlikely that you will be able to "sell" your professional development training courses for teachers, or your inspirational/motivational programs for students to anyone in the public sector, unless they are government or union (for teachers) funded & approved.

There are various consultant positions available sometimes. Usually at Union/provincial or Federal government level, or with NP organisations. Without solid CDN experience/backing, I think you may have difficulty breaking into the field.

Given your description of what you want to do, school boards aren't particularly relevant, until you get through multiple other steps first, & it wouldn't be your job to deal with them.

Do I know you??? You weren't a lawyer in a past life, were you? !??

What visa do you hold/hope to acquire to come & work in Canada?

definitely not a lawyer!

have options of either getting student visa for masters in psychotherapy/family therapy and work part-time or set up as new business in Canada or self employed and get a work permit; or do speaking engagements in Canada whilst in UK to test the waters

Who deals with school boards then? slightly confused by the school system hence reaching out for clarification in this Forum

as i understand the system, it is as follows:

Federal, provincial government; school boards; school districts; K-12 schools?

Many thanks Shirtback

Last edited by FromUKtoBC; Mar 30th 2016 at 10:44 am.
Old Mar 30th 2016, 10:42 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Shard
Based on your punctuation, I would never have guessed it. What have you written?

i am glad that i dont have to pay too much attention to grammar on the Forum and especially having read the netetiquette!

at 23.40pm I am more concerned about getting my points across than my grammar to be honest, and gleaning some insights where possible
Old Mar 30th 2016, 10:50 am
Forum Regular

by the way, i am liaising with UKTI (UK Trade & Industry) in Canada & UK and i am being told that there is a big push for UK businesses to work in Canada, which also includes the education sector

i am here on this Forum to check things out at the grassroots level, to add to my research
Old Mar 31st 2016, 2:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FromUKtoBC
by the way, i am liaising with UKTI (UK Trade & Industry) in Canada & UK and i am being told that there is a big push for UK businesses to work in Canada, which also includes the education sector

i am here on this Forum to check things out at the grassroots level, to add to my research
You might like to do some basic research on business/self employed immigration routes at the same time as your market research. I realise your projects are in the early stages, but so far, I'm not seeing either of those routes being very feasible from what you've posted.
Old Mar 31st 2016, 11:59 pm
Forum Regular

You might like to do some basic research on business/self employed immigration routes at the same time as your market research. I realise your projects are in the early stages, but so far, I'm not seeing either of those routes being very feasible from what you've posted.

Many thanks Shirtback for your response

I am also looking at the business/self employed immigration routes too, hence liaising with UKTI. That said, i wanted to touch base with people at grass routes level to check out people's experiences of living in Canada and the routes that helped to get them there (this last bit will be a new thread).

i had previously looked at Federal/Provincial business sponsorship routes but the investment they wanted is out of my affordability (right now). Self employment is slightly different and i have more research to do on this

at some future point, i will make it happen to work with young people when living in Canada, however, my highest priority right now is finding the right route for me to get to Canada

thanks again
Old Apr 1st 2016, 5:34 am
Forum Regular

thanks everyone here for your support and info.
Much appreciated! :-)
Old Apr 1st 2016, 5:53 am
Forum Regular

Default Anyone here work in Schools in BC Canada?

hi

I am attempting to get an insight into what i might need to do to be able to work with schools from a wellbeing/wellness perspective for teachers and students.

Also, are the school districts far apart in terms of travelling time?

Canadian High Commission & UKTI (UK Trade & Industry) are telling me that UK businesses are looked at favourably by Canadians but it seems as if it might be a different experience dealing with schools

I am still in UK and doing market research currently which includes attending a wellbeing conference this summer in BC

If i was to start developing a relationship within the Canadian school system, who would be best person to approach first?

thanks in advance
J
Old Apr 1st 2016, 7:48 am
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone here work in Schools in BC Canada?

hi

I am attempting to get an insight into what i might need to do to be able to work with schools from a wellbeing/wellness perspective for teachers and students.

Canadian High Commission & UKTI (UK Trade & Industry) are telling me that UK businesses are looked at favourably by Canadians but it seems as if it might be a different experience dealing with schools

I am still in UK and doing market research currently which includes attending a wellbeing conference this summer in BC

If i was to start developing a relationship within the Canadian school system, who would be best person to approach first?

thanks in advance
J
Good luck with finding any teachers to meet with in August. They're all busy hard at work at their second jobs.
Old Apr 1st 2016, 7:55 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

I've moved all your posts from the 'schools' thread (which had nothing to do with the original posters questions) to your own one here.

hi

thanks in advance
J
Please note that BE is not the place for 'market research'. If you are researching for your move over that is one thing, if for your business then that is a whole different ballgame and your posts can and will be removed.

Site rules:
10. Research
The forums/private message, blog and email system are not to be used for the purpose of research, (questions, surveys or polls). Any such posts found will be removed without notice. From time to time university students wish to use the forums for educational research etc, in these instances prior approval must be sought from the site administrators first, if approval is not sought then the posts will be removed.

Last edited by Siouxie; Apr 1st 2016 at 7:58 am.
Old Apr 1st 2016, 8:57 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Siouxie
I've moved all your posts from the 'schools' thread (which had nothing to do with the original posters questions) to your own one here.

Please note that BE is not the place for 'market research'. If you are researching for your move over that is one thing, if for your business then that is a whole different ballgame and your posts can and will be removed.

Site rules:
10. Research
The forums/private message, blog and email system are not to be used for the purpose of research, (questions, surveys or polls). Any such posts found will be removed without notice. From time to time university students wish to use the forums for educational research etc, in these instances prior approval must be sought from the site administrators first, if approval is not sought then the posts will be removed.
hi

sorry, i asked my question in the previous post as i struggled to find where to ask it. that problem has now been solved

i will be visiting Canada BC in summer specifically for market research.
i am asking people on the forum their experience of Canadians and if i am likely to be accepted as a foreign delegate if i attend in summer; and for people's experience with schools.

all this is a prerequisite research for move my to BC

I intend to do recce visit another time

i have posted also in immigration section questions re moving for business

i am new here so happy for to tell me what to leave out as i am still in a dilemma as to which entry route into BC to take, one of which is the business route
Old Apr 1st 2016, 9:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

hi

thanks in advance
J
I'm going to be blunter than usual.

You can muck about with UKTI & the High Commission as much as, and as long as you like. Neither will advise you/tell you what you need to actually be eligible to immigrate. You should have a good look at CIC for your possible options & requirements.

As for the "Canadian" school system: several of us have tried to point out to you that it's provincially governed. And that your "project"/ideas are dead in the water as you have so far presented it/them & and your marketing 'plan'.

I have no clue why you are asking about travelling times between school districts? Do you mean school boards? Which province? Let me give you an example: locally I can cross the road from one school to another (30 second walk) and have changed school board...

TL: DR : I don't think you are asking the right questions/researching in the right places ...
Old Apr 1st 2016, 9:04 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

hi

sorry, i asked my question in the previous post as i struggled to find where to ask it. that problem has now been solved

i am asking people on the forum their experience of Canadians and if i am likely to be accepted as a foreign delegate if i attend in summer; and for people's experience with schools.

i am new here so happy for to tell me what to leave out as i am still in a dilemma as to which entry route into BC to take, one of which is the business route
It's all good - it's fine to ask questions in relation to a potential move over, I just didn't want you making this a business research project.

You might find these websites useful for your personal research.

http://www.bcstats.gov.bc.ca/statist...s/Schools.aspx (this map is zoomable and clickable)
http://www.makeafuture.ca/regions-districts/

Last edited by Siouxie; Apr 1st 2016 at 9:10 am.
Old Apr 1st 2016, 9:07 am
BE Forum Addict

hi

Already answered: yes you can attend the conference. No, IMO, it won't be of much use._

BC business immigration route is very clear: do you have 600k? Do we really need to gtfy?
Old Apr 1st 2016, 9:12 am
Banned

BC business immigration route is very clear: do you have 600k? Do we really need to gtfy?
He could go via the Start Up Visa route though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.