Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Anyone have problems finding a multi region DVD player

Anyone have problems finding a multi region DVD player

Old Jul 18th 2007, 12:58 am
Forum Regular

alex_glw is just really nicealex_glw is just really nicealex_glw is just really nicealex_glw is just really nicealex_glw is just really nicealex_glw is just really nicealex_glw is just really nicealex_glw is just really nice
Default Anyone have problems finding a multi region DVD player

Can't seem to find one here in Lethbridge Alberta, tried most stores. We are unable to play our DVD's from the UK except on the PC.
Old Jul 18th 2007, 1:12 am
Worth the wait...

wiggs1034 is a jewel in the roughwiggs1034 is a jewel in the roughwiggs1034 is a jewel in the roughwiggs1034 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Anyone have problems finding a multi region DVD player

Originally Posted by alex_glw
Can't seem to find one here in Lethbridge Alberta, tried most stores. We are unable to play our DVD's from the UK except on the PC.
Try Walmart (Diamond Vision less than $30), Real Canadian Superstore (Citizen I think, about $35) or the cheap brand in Future Shop (can't remember the make). All are multi-region, although the packaging does not state it, and the staff are unlikely to confirm it. Our Walmart one work fine.

If all else fails, buy a "normal" one, and search the web for the conversion code.
Old Jul 18th 2007, 1:13 am
BE Enthusiast

getoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond repute

By the cheapest DVD player you can find which ironically are usually multi region - talk to a guy in Future shop for advice or by a DVD player that you can get a hack from this site:-

http://www.dvddemystifiziert.de/code.../codefree.html
Old Jul 18th 2007, 1:17 am
Forum Regular

alex_glw is just really nicealex_glw is just really nicealex_glw is just really nicealex_glw is just really nicealex_glw is just really nicealex_glw is just really nicealex_glw is just really nicealex_glw is just really nice

Ok thanks for your help.
Old Jul 18th 2007, 1:25 am
Just Joined

Myau is an unknown quantity at this point

Me and my family have three cheapie Wal Mart DVD players in the house, and they're all region free. Only trouble is that electronics from Wal Mart are very hit and miss -- We're on our third TV from them now (first two didn't work at all), and had to exchange the DVD player once.
Old Jul 18th 2007, 2:15 am
Forum Regular

pomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant future

Here is the cheap way most DVD player's can be changed to mulit region all you need to do is type your make and model into a internet search.

Example type / multi code sony 1234 dvd player

most dvds you enter a pass number into the remote that gives you an change region for your player then you just enter number 0 thats all regions.

you can do this on some of the most cheap players I brought a $89AUD player and it worked no worries.

Old Jul 18th 2007, 2:42 am
To Infinity and Beyond

Dive06 has much to be proud ofDive06 has much to be proud ofDive06 has much to be proud ofDive06 has much to be proud ofDive06 has much to be proud ofDive06 has much to be proud ofDive06 has much to be proud ofDive06 has much to be proud ofDive06 has much to be proud ofDive06 has much to be proud ofDive06 has much to be proud of

Whatever happened to the good old VHS, none of this multi region thing to worry about, just plug and play!

Although I wouldn't be seen dead with one now
Old Jul 18th 2007, 3:02 am
Forum Regular

pomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Dive06
Whatever happened to the good old VHS, none of this multi region thing to worry about, just plug and play!

O No VHS was worce i remember bring some tapes back from hoildays to the UK and the tape was a diffent size wouldent even go in the player lol

At least with DVD's you can get them multi played not like VHS
Old Jul 18th 2007, 7:45 am
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

Ok thanks for your help.
Alex

Def had them a couple of weeks ago as Phil bought one from the SOuthside Walwart - the diamond one that some one mentioned

Gaynor
x
Old Jul 18th 2007, 11:30 am
Senile Member

Daedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond repute

Unlock codes are a boon, my OH has already Google searched unlock region codes for 2 of our DVD players over the past 3 years (gave our old one as a gift to his parents) all you need is a remote, the name and model of your DVD player and the ability to do appropriate Google searches for 'multi region' and 'unlock code'
Old Jul 18th 2007, 11:37 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dive06

We watched a film on VHS last night. I like it better than dvd.
Old Jul 18th 2007, 11:47 am
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by burton bunch
Alex

Def had them a couple of weeks ago as Phil bought one from the SOuthside Walwart - the diamond one that some one mentioned

Gaynor
x
PSSSSSS

When I checked out the make and model of the DVD phil bought - didnt even need unlocking but it doesnt tell you on the box

Gaynor
x
Old Jul 18th 2007, 11:57 am
BE Enthusiast

PeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond repute

The sales guy in Best Buy told me of one of theirs that did, except it was $270. I think I'll try a cheapy Walmart one first.
Old Jul 18th 2007, 2:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud of

thing is multi region isnt the end of the problem.

i have a multi region little player which has a built in screen. but if i try and connect it like a normal DVD player to a Canadian TV it doesnt work.

so the DVD player needs to be multi region, and either convert the PAL to NTSC or have a TV that works in both modes.

do these cheap walmart ones do that for you?
Old Jul 18th 2007, 2:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kittykerr

do these cheap walmart ones do that for you?
Yes.

I took a few of them back, they didn't like my kid's R2 discs with games and interactive features. Some played for a while and then not at all, but that was a feature of a 23 CAD DVD player I'm sure rather than a region issue. After the third or fourth I went back to a multiregion player in the 60-70 CAD price range (which is what I'd have before trying the WalMart cheapy) and have been fine since.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.