Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Anyone 'have to' move to Canada for their boyfriend/girlfriend?

Anyone 'have to' move to Canada for their boyfriend/girlfriend?

Old Feb 8th 2009, 11:44 am
Forum Regular

HSJones is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anyone 'have to' move to Canada for their boyfriend/girlfriend?

I met my canadian bf whilst travelling in south america. traveled there together for two months and have been doing the LDR thing for two years now.

Had hoped to be over there last Sept but after reading the difficulty in getting a WP i decided to hold out for a BUNAC visa. Have it now so off to Toronto in March. Very exctied!

Yes i'm going to be with my b/f but im also looking forward to meeting new people, seeing another way of life, changing jobs (though NO idea whatsoever what i'm going to do!)

B/f has higher earning potential and i like the idea of living somewhere new hence why i'm going there and not the other way round though not sure he understands what it's like to be in a position of giving up everything for love and hoping at some point we'll get back over to the UK for a bit so he can get to know my family and friends. This though brings up all sorts of issues!

Good luck to all those moving for love, and hey, if our relationships don't work out we can always stay or go! Easy! I'd always regret not giving love a chance! Though i can see myself growing old here with a cottage for the summer and skiing in the winter etc. A rosy view of life, but you have to think of the positives to make it all worth while!
Old Feb 12th 2009, 4:08 am
Just Joined

ruaillebuaille is an unknown quantity at this point

To the OP-

I moved from Ireland to be with my now husband and what a freaking bold move it was.

Neither of us was sure it would work out. He had come to Ireland multiple times and was unable to adjust to the mentality, culture etc. in the Emerald Isle So, in order to figure out if Canada was feasible I came to Toronto on the Under 35 Working Visa. In this regard we had nothing to loose. Initial few months were tough- the differences aren't large but they are there. The toughest part was leaving my friends behind. I will admit that there were days when I felt absolutely down in the dumps and had a little cry and then pulled myself together.

Now, while it;s all well and good to feel sorry for yourself remember you are the one making the move to a new country, so, if you want to make it work you have to get out there and do so. I was able to get a good job, a nice apartment with my husband ( at that stage he was still at the boyfriend stage) and was able to build a network of friends.

Make sure before you leave NI that this is what you want. Be absolutely certain. The Under 35 Visa worked for me and the ball and chain as it gave us time to see if we as a team could make things work. Once we knew it would work we got married and I am now a permanent resident.

If you want to talk more about this send me a PM- I know how tough it is to give up a lot for a loved one but if he's worth it and you go into the process with an open mind then it's worth all the risks!!!!
Old Feb 12th 2009, 3:35 pm
Forum Regular

KerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really nice

I am in the process of sorting out my passport to move over to Toronto to join my husband. I have lived in London all my life and it does feel a little scary sometime. But I feel ready to give it a go and getting quite excited now! I have no family out there and doing the move alone. I am looking forward to finally being with my OH and starting a new life out there. I am even looking forward to getting a job and exploring the country now. I understand how you feel I still question my move but until you get there you will never know. One thing I will also say, meeting other people also helps so much. A friend in London mutually passed on her friends details who also just moved to Canada. We met up a few weeks when I was out there and already it feels really nice to have made a new friend to relate to and meet up with as well. She has found a part time job already while looking for a perm job and only been there a few weeks! I have also become quite close with my OH girl cuz who makes the effort to meet up and go out with her friends. So I am looking forward to meeting even more people and embracing Canada.
Old Jul 13th 2009, 5:02 am
Just Joined

NaomiG. is an unknown quantity at this point

Most of my life I grew up in Arizona. Desert, rattlesnakes, cactus, The Grand Canyon, all that stuff. Today it was 45 Celsius!! I only moved back from Italy a year ago and finally got all of my affairs re-settled here in Phoenix. My boyfriend of six months moved down here six years ago from Edmonton, has both Canadian and U.S. Citizenship and now wants to move back up to Edmonton, taking me with him! Granted this whole process (If I indeed agree) won't start for another six months, but it still intimidates me.

I already have duel (U.S. and U.K.) citizenship and have lived over-seas (sometimes starting from scratch) many times in my life, never anywhere where I will be snowed in four months out of the year though. And I know it sounds strange, but I get bouts of depression when I'm not near the coast (from Phoenix its a 6 hour-drive, 45 minute flight; close enough). I never really had an interest in living in a vast northern prairie and the job outlook isn't promising. I'd also be trying to get my master's degree in Biology and I'm not impressed by what U of A has to offer. But I here the perogies at the Ukrainian culture center are phenomenal