Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

anyone got the 2009 subaru impreza sport hatch?

anyone got the 2009 subaru impreza sport hatch?

Old Sep 29th 2008, 9:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud of
Default anyone got the 2009 subaru impreza sport hatch?

has anyone got one of the new 2009 subaru impreza sport (170bhp model) hatch backs?

how are you liking it? im thinking of one for myself to go with our nissan rogue..

hows the fuel economy? any major issues?
thanks..
Old Sep 29th 2008, 11:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: anyone got the 2009 subaru impreza sport hatch?

No, but we're probably going to buy the non-sport saloon for my girlfriend; now that they've put VDC on the 2009 base model Impreza there's no real need to buy the sport anymore unless you want the odds and ends that come with it (body kit, etc).

The only problem I'm aware of with the 2008s is some people complaining that the paint chips easily; supposedly Subaru have improved that for 2009, even if only by sticking bits of plastic over the parts that chip.
Old Sep 30th 2008, 12:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Kittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud of

yeh the basic is fine, but the sport looks soooo much nicer with the body styling, and the sirius radio and the heated window wiper thing will be good for me too as it will be going to the mountains 3 times a week all winter... as will the heated seats... and i like the leather wrapped wheel and gear stick too.. all little things i know, but i plan on keeping it for at least 5 years, so i might as well like it...
Old Sep 30th 2008, 12:43 am
Forum Regular

Homegrown has a brilliant futureHomegrown has a brilliant futureHomegrown has a brilliant futureHomegrown has a brilliant futureHomegrown has a brilliant futureHomegrown has a brilliant futureHomegrown has a brilliant futureHomegrown has a brilliant future

I work in the parts supply side of the auto business and hear little tidbits
all the time about this car or that. For Subarus it's the timing belt. They have to be changed every 80,000 km's religiously. This is true of any engine that uses a belt instead of a chain to run the valve train but most other cars have a timing belt service interval of abut 160,000 km's. For that reason Subarus are considered a high maintenance vehicle. There have been oil consumption issues in the past as well due to poor piston ring quality.

Subarus are like VW's. When new they are fine running cars but should be avoided when older than five years.
Old Sep 30th 2008, 12:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Homegrown
I work in the parts supply side of the auto business and hear little tidbits
all the time about this car or that. For Subarus it's the timing belt. They have to be changed every 80,000 km's religiously. This is true of any engine that uses a belt instead of a chain to run the valve train but most other cars have a timing belt service interval of abut 160,000 km's. For that reason Subarus are considered a high maintenance vehicle. There have been oil consumption issues in the past as well due to poor piston ring quality.

Subarus are like VW's. When new they are fine running cars but should be avoided when older than five years.
hmm, your view totally contradicts every report ive ever read about subaru.. they have a reputatiion of lasting forever. even in top gear they talk about subarus being handed down through the generations...

timing belt isnt a huge deal though..

edit,
according to this

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/subaru_maintenance.html

the timing belt is 168k... just an inspection at 60k..

maybe the old subarus were a bit more maintenance heavy?

Last edited by Kittykerr; Sep 30th 2008 at 12:59 am.
Old Sep 30th 2008, 5:31 pm
Forum Regular

Alan B is an unknown quantity at this point

They have had major engine issues, in the last 12 months with the 2.5 turbo unit, to the point where all the dealers were instucted to stop selling the cars for almost 2 months,

check out : http://forums.finalgear.com/automoti...-recall-26545/

I have always been impressed with subaru's product, the Justy being one of the better if not smaller ones,

As for TOP GEAR yes they are long term supporters of Subaru, and the Legacy estate was one of their cars of the year last year, but they SLATED the new Impreza,

for me you can tell the new one is Designed and Built in the US for the US market, its just not got what the older ones have, Individuality for a start.

Alan
Old Sep 30th 2008, 5:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Alan B
They have had major engine issues, in the last 12 months with the 2.5 turbo unit, to the point where all the dealers were instucted to stop selling the cars for almost 2 months,

check out : http://forums.finalgear.com/automoti...-recall-26545/

I have always been impressed with subaru's product, the Justy being one of the better if not smaller ones,

As for TOP GEAR yes they are long term supporters of Subaru, and the Legacy estate was one of their cars of the year last year, but they SLATED the new Impreza,

for me you can tell the new one is Designed and Built in the US for the US market, its just not got what the older ones have, Individuality for a start.

Alan
well im not getting a turbo, so thats fine.. and TG hardly slated the impreza, jeremy just preferred the evo X, but that was the sti model, not the normal everyday version.. in fact i watched that episode last night! and his complaint was its too technical, and didnt do as well on the track as old ones..

and the canadian one i was looking at was jap built..
Old Sep 30th 2008, 6:06 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Homegrown

My subaru is now 12 years old and still going strong. The body will rust out from it before the drivetrain fails.

Things to be aware off Subaru wise;

The majority of the slating of the impressa was based on looks anyway. I think the Impressa and its offspring (Forester) are Jap built, the Legacies and its kin (Outback) are made in Indiana.

AWD and horizontal engine configuration = not the best economy,

In the real world 22 mpg is about normal for the 2.5 in my (albeit heavier) Legacy. The newer ones are basically the same engine design and wont be significantly better. Compare that to 39MPG from a (much cheaper) Honda Civic with a 1.8litre

As a lower volume niche import, spares and service for a Subaru are a bit more expensive, but you wont need them very often. Timing belt is the main one. The improved belt life of the next generaion engines is a bonus, my older one gets valve damage if the belt fails, so it needs to be done every 96k km. Its a dealer job, runs just about $800 from memory, I dont trust the average garage to have much experience with a flat 4 with a huge long belt. They should do the belt tensioner at the same time. (My dealer didnt...it failed, engine ate valves, replaced at dealers expense. Cant fault subaru customer service on how they handled it though.)

Keep an eye out for brake caliper / rotor issues. The calipers can rub causing rotors to warp. Its not uncommon. Mine is on its third set of front rotors. One wheel will feel hotter than the others if its doing it.

Get winter tires anyway, all seasons are fundamentally compromised in the snow and ice. Winter tires on a Subaru provide an awesome all weather capability, and it will stop too, something AWD wont help with.

The horizontal flat 4 engine can seem noisy at idle because the valve gear points to the side sending sound out, rather than up like a conventional 4. Its a bit distracting at first. They have a distinctive sound. "Piston slap" can be a factor, although its said to be harmless. Im told its a function of the short piston skirts required to get a 2.5l capacity out of the standard block.

I am a Subaru fan, they handle great in the dry , and in the winter the extra security of the seamless AWD is great to have and comes into its own.

Handling and Roadholding is very good, vehicle dynamics are much more European than American, they are "fun to drive" The trade off is that the fuel economy is not the best, but its better than any SUV and handles better, and handles the winter better, while still being fun to drive. The interior might be considered a bit out of date by some, but generally its at least good quality materials.

But the bottom line is that now that I am comfortable with winter driving and the imposing size of many Canadian vehicles, I'm happy to take the Civic instead and pocket the difference. If AWD is important to you, then Subaru is a good way to go. But get snow tires anyway.

Last edited by iaink; Sep 30th 2008 at 6:35 pm.
Old Sep 30th 2008, 6:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan B
That's probably why this Impreza is breaking sales records in North America; though as far as I'm aware the Impreza hatchback was released in America despite Subaru America wanting a saloon... only to go on to greatly outsell the saloon model.

Also, aren't Imprezas still built Japan?
Old Oct 9th 2008, 8:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

well, bit the bullet today.. placed my order for a 2009 subaru impreza sport 5 spd in dark grey.. all being well should collect it on sat/mon...

2nd new car purchase this year!! shows the cost of living is better here, cos we could never afford even one new car back in the UK...
Old Oct 9th 2008, 8:36 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Are you aware that Subaru have given the Impreza WRX a fairly thorough makeover (see: http://windingroad.nextautos.com/windingroad/200811web/) and all the unsold '08 WRX models will be re-badged and sold as a 'GT'?

I purchased an 09 Forester XT a month or so ago and have been very happy with it, it's my 3rd Subaru of various types, and I've never had any issues with them.
Old Oct 9th 2008, 8:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by R I C H
Are you aware that Subaru have given the Impreza WRX a fairly thorough makeover (see: http://windingroad.nextautos.com/windingroad/200811web/) and all the unsold '08 WRX models will be re-badged and sold as a 'GT'?

I purchased an 09 Forester XT a month or so ago and have been very happy with it, it's my 3rd Subaru of various types, and I've never had any issues with them.
there are no 08's left.. and that is america only. canada still has the two wrx's. one is 224bhp, the true WRX is now 265bhp...
Old Oct 9th 2008, 8:42 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kittykerr
there are no 08's left.. and that is america only. canada still has the two wrx's. one is 224bhp, the true WRX is now 265bhp...
My local dealer's got 2 '08 WRX's on the forecourt. He was told that the new GT and WRX differentiation was for N.America, not just the US.

Just checked the website and all flavours are available there - 265bhp WRX, 225bhp GT and the STi too.

Last edited by R I C H; Oct 9th 2008 at 8:46 pm.
Old Oct 9th 2008, 8:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

My local dealer's got 2 '08 WRX's on the forecourt. He was told that the new GT and WRX differentiation was for N.America, not just the US.
well, according to subaru.ca, the 2009 brochure i have here, and the dealer there is no GT in canada... just a 2.5i, 2.5i sport, wrx, and wrx 265... and STI obviously..
USA has the 2.5, 2.5 premium, 2.5 outback sport, GT and then wrx 265 and wrx 265 premium...
so USA has two levels for the 265, canada doesnt, but it keeps the wrx224.

the normal wrx is a step down from the sport in a lot of ways. as you loose the sirius radio, heated seats, sunroof and a few other things. but obviously gain a turbo and more power..

then the 265 has all the luxury things the sport has, and then even more power..
Old Oct 9th 2008, 8:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Just checked the website and all flavours are available there - 265bhp WRX, 225bhp GT and the STi too.
that was the USA website, try subaru.ca

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.