Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Anyone emigrating from Edinburgh??

Anyone emigrating from Edinburgh??

Old May 22nd 2011, 10:37 am
Forum Regular

Location: unfortunately Edinburgh, but dreaming of a better life.
woz718 has a brilliant futurewoz718 has a brilliant futurewoz718 has a brilliant futurewoz718 has a brilliant futurewoz718 has a brilliant futurewoz718 has a brilliant futurewoz718 has a brilliant future
Default Anyone emigrating from Edinburgh??

We're currently living in Edinburgh (not originally from Scotland) and are in the throes of emigrating. We are a family of 4, mum, dad and 2 daughters, 5 and 15 months. We lived in Alberta 10 years ago for a couple of years and have been desparate to move back ever since.(although we might consider Nova Scotia) Unfortunately had to wait till hubby finished his career in the army and we're now on countdown as he has 18 months left. We were wondering whether there were any other families on here from Edinburgh or surrounding areas, as it would be great to keep in touch and vent frustrations at how long this is taking, and to have someone who can relate to what we are going through. So, if you're in a similar situation, then let's get in touch

regards

Sarah.
Old May 23rd 2011, 12:38 am
Just Joined

jennianne is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anyone emigrating from Edinburgh??

Hi

We r from the Paisley, Scotland. We moved to Alberta 6 months ago!
Old May 23rd 2011, 3:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Mad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
I am originally from Edinburgh, and we have been in Alberta since Aug 2009.
Good luck in the process and moving.

Last edited by Mad Jockette; May 23rd 2011 at 3:18 am. Reason: grammar correction
Old May 23rd 2011, 9:58 am
Forum Regular

Location: Formerly of nr Kinross, Scotland, now Burlington, ON!
furries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to all

Just up the road - nr Kinross. We are moving in about 6 weeks! Maybe ... house still needs to complete, need to pack etc ... feels like masses still to do, but hey ho ... 6 weeks and counting! Me, the OH and three dogs ...

best of luck with your move - where you going to? OH work is moving to TO so there are a few of us from the Ed & surrounding area off in July ...
Old May 23rd 2011, 3:21 pm
Forum Regular

Glam is just really niceGlam is just really niceGlam is just really niceGlam is just really niceGlam is just really niceGlam is just really niceGlam is just really niceGlam is just really nice

Originally Posted by woz718
We're currently living in Edinburgh (not originally from Scotland) and are in the throes of emigrating. We are a family of 4, mum, dad and 2 daughters, 5 and 15 months. We lived in Alberta 10 years ago for a couple of years and have been desparate to move back ever since.(although we might consider Nova Scotia) Unfortunately had to wait till hubby finished his career in the army and we're now on countdown as he has 18 months left. We were wondering whether there were any other families on here from Edinburgh or surrounding areas, as it would be great to keep in touch and vent frustrations at how long this is taking, and to have someone who can relate to what we are going through. So, if you're in a similar situation, then let's get in touch

regards

Sarah.
Hi,

We're in Dunfermline, and we're off to Calgary 4 weeks on wednesday (me the Mrs and 2 boys 6 & 4) !!! WooHoo!!. I know it's a frustrating wait but i'm sure it'll be worth it on the end!

Gav.
Old May 23rd 2011, 7:22 pm
Forum Regular

imoutofhere is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Sarah,

We are from Livingston and got permanent residency papers in February this year so I went out to Alberta to sort a few things out.. I just got back yesterday after 3 months. I now leave next Wednesday with the wife and kid to start our new adventure... I have a rented house and job fixed up so it's easy for us just to go. We have the house up for sale ( 2 weeks ago ) Don't know how long that will take to sell but we are just leaving it with friends to sell for us... We can't wait now.. All we have to do now is clear more out of the house and jump on the plane next week... ps, it took us about 18 months from start to finish for immigration through the skilled worker route... Good luck with your application.
Old May 28th 2011, 8:22 pm
Forum Regular

bcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nice

Hi there, we're in East Lothian also not from here originally and hoping to move next year to Kelowna in BC, got our PR status in Oct 2010, seems like ages away but we've both still to sort out registration for the jobs we do before we can apply for work. Are you thinking of going back to Calgary or somewhere else?
Old Jun 1st 2011, 10:55 am
Banned

monkeyboy3 will become famous soon enoughmonkeyboy3 will become famous soon enough

Hi,

Me and my wife are from edinburgh and have been looking into moving to Canada we are 30 and 29, my wife just received her proof of citizenship yesterday (by descent her mum was born there but now lives in uk).

I wish we knew she had citizenship a few years back as after much debate it has been decided that we will be holding off on moving to Canada due to the fact that we are looking to have kids in the next 12-18 months and we jut simply can not afford full time child care, we have family support here to help. We will need to look at moving in the next 5-7 years or unless we can convince the mother in law to move back with us

I am gutted but know for US its the right decision for now anyway, I'm juts glad we have her citizenship sorted out now so its there for the future

Good luck with whatever you decide
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 1:53 pm
Just Joined

anitac is on a distinguished road

Hi

We're from Glasgow been living in Belgium for the last year and leaving for Ottawa in 2 weeks. Canada was always our long term plan for 5 years in the future but my husband got his Canadian Citizenship (his mother is Canadian) a few months ago and the temptation was just too much so after 3 whole months of planning we're off to Canada. Things seem to be working out pretty well considering what an un thought out decision it was. Good luck with the move I'm sure it will all be worth it in the end!
Old Jun 4th 2011, 6:27 am
BE Enthusiast

SivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Sarah,

Before jumping the pond to Canada, I lived in Livingston (raised in Bathgate - family moved to Livingston when I was 12y/o) ... relocated to the Okanagan Valley here in BC, back in December 2002 (age 32 at the time).

Like I mentioned in another thread, that's the short version!

We are FINALLY! getting summer here in the valley, been a long wait.

All the best from this Scotsman!
Cheers