Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Is anyone else massively impressed in Canada?

Is anyone else massively impressed in Canada?

Old Jan 29th 2016, 3:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Is anyone else massively impressed in Canada?

I will take the flack over this one as Im almost at the point of having spent equal time living in both countries albeit at a different stage in life.

First of all Im not saying Canada is better or worse than the UK except there are certain similarities and there are differences.
English is the most popular language spoken as a whole across the country and if you speak French as well than you have a better advantage.
Both countries have single males and females that can be dated if one wishes.
Canada is just a tad bigger than the UK in size but has almost less than half of the UK's population so some could argue less people to choose from and make friends with.
You can find almost stuff they sell in the UK and if not allegedly there is this thing called the internet you can buy stuff off if you miss that sort of thing.
As we are only 150 years old (2017) don't expect to see 300 year old buildings in our cities and towns.
We are a multicultural nation so yes you will see other nationalities living and working here. Some assimilate others don't.
We basically have one road going across the country but west of Portage La Prairie is another road (Hwy 16) that can be taken. Similar for rail service.
We have mountains, lakes, desert, tundra, beaches and forests to occupy a wide variety of outdoor interests.
We usually measure driving distances in days not hours and pay exorbitant air fares if we wish to fly anywhere. No Ryanair or Easyjet here.
80% of the population live within a 2 hour drive of the US border so many choose to spend weekend getaways in the US when our dollar isn't tanking against its US counterparts.
Between December and March many choose to travel to places like Mexico, Cuba, Jamaica or the Dominican Republic for a week or 2 because they are tired of freezing their asses off in most parts of Canada.
We pay more for car insurance, internet, TV and cell phone plans. We also probably pay a shit lot more in property taxes, personal income tax and a raft of other things.
Some people have higher salaries over here some don't it all depends on what you do or are qualified to do.

Im neither massively impressed or disappointed in Canada the same as I am with the UK.
Old Jan 29th 2016, 3:46 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is anyone else massively impressed in Canada?

As I'm from the UK and US not very. If I was from Belarus or Tajikistan it be alright.
Old Jan 29th 2016, 3:49 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

I'm impressed with the conveyor belt of Hooters girls and sweet potato fries.

This is however countered by the lack of career opportunities and naff salaries.
Old Jan 29th 2016, 3:52 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM

This is however countered by the lack of career opportunities and naff salaries.
And you get to live in one of these beauties.
Attached Thumbnails Is anyone else massively impressed in Canada?-00160.jpg  
Old Jan 29th 2016, 3:56 pm
Just Joined

OUTDOOR is an unknown quantity at this point

I am considering moving to Canada since none of my efforts of getting back to the US are working out. With Canada I could at least be in North America.

I like the space, the bigger homes and I don't mind the colder weather. Not sure about job opportunities but I get frequent calls and emails from CA recruiters. This may not be the case once I am there though.

trying IEC this year.
Old Jan 29th 2016, 3:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

So move to Nottingham in the UK then

Now this was written in February 2015 so I don't know if Hooters in the UK has expanded or not
Hooters in Britain: Controversial US bar where waitresses dress in skimpy clothes looks to expand - Mirror Online
Old Jan 29th 2016, 4:08 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Im am impressed with fashions, Canadian humour, architectural styles of commercial buidings, cheese, Canadian TV, Canadian music, easy transport links/cheap flights/effective rail networks, strong currency- there.... Hayleeeeeee Im coming with you
Old Jan 29th 2016, 4:31 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
Im am impressed with fashions, Canadian humour, architectural styles of commercial buidings, cheese, Canadian TV, Canadian music, easy transport links/cheap flights/effective rail networks, strong currency- there.... Hayleeeeeee Im coming with you
You can dress like a cowboy in Canada and people don't even think you have dressed up for Halloween
Old Jan 29th 2016, 4:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
And you get to live in one of these beauties.
Oh come on..they get worse than that

https://goo.gl/maps/TUyB3MCooJU2

Keep in mind that the UK isn't all chocolate box villages
Old Jan 29th 2016, 4:49 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm impressed by how much taller chris gailus is than squire barns.
Old Jan 29th 2016, 5:07 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
I will take the flack over this one as Im almost at the point of having spent equal time living in both countries albeit at a different stage in life.

First of all Im not saying Canada is better or worse than the UK except there are certain similarities and there are differences.
English is the most popular language spoken as a whole across the country and if you speak French as well than you have a better advantage.
Both countries have single males and females that can be dated if one wishes.
Canada is just a tad bigger than the UK in size but has almost less than half of the UK's population so some could argue less people to choose from and make friends with.
You can find almost stuff they sell in the UK and if not allegedly there is this thing called the internet you can buy stuff off if you miss that sort of thing.
As we are only 150 years old (2017) don't expect to see 300 year old buildings in our cities and towns.
We are a multicultural nation so yes you will see other nationalities living and working here. Some assimilate others don't.
We basically have one road going across the country but west of Portage La Prairie is another road (Hwy 16) that can be taken. Similar for rail service.
We have mountains, lakes, desert, tundra, beaches and forests to occupy a wide variety of outdoor interests.
We usually measure driving distances in days not hours and pay exorbitant air fares if we wish to fly anywhere. No Ryanair or Easyjet here.
80% of the population live within a 2 hour drive of the US border so many choose to spend weekend getaways in the US when our dollar isn't tanking against its US counterparts.
Between December and March many choose to travel to places like Mexico, Cuba, Jamaica or the Dominican Republic for a week or 2 because they are tired of freezing their asses off in most parts of Canada.
We pay more for car insurance, internet, TV and cell phone plans. We also probably pay a shit lot more in property taxes, personal income tax and a raft of other things.
Some people have higher salaries over here some don't it all depends on what you do or are qualified to do.

Im neither massively impressed or disappointed in Canada the same as I am with the UK.
WTF is this about FL? First you imply that you are "massively impressed 'in' Canada, then you produce a monologue of mundanities aimed at nobody, then you conclude you are "neither impressed or disappointed in Canada, nor the UK"??

The only noteworthy point is James' revelation that there is some sort of conveyor belt of Hooters girls. Now that's impressive.
Old Jan 29th 2016, 5:10 pm
Forum Regular

jayca has a reputation beyond reputejayca has a reputation beyond reputejayca has a reputation beyond reputejayca has a reputation beyond reputejayca has a reputation beyond reputejayca has a reputation beyond reputejayca has a reputation beyond reputejayca has a reputation beyond reputejayca has a reputation beyond reputejayca has a reputation beyond reputejayca has a reputation beyond repute

I'm from Nottingham and I have lived in Calgary since 2012 and i havent looked back since! love it!
Old Jan 29th 2016, 5:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

mjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond repute

I've seen these threads both negative and positive about Canada and ultimately neither opinion is right or wrong..............it is all down to personal experience. What one person might think is great , another person might hate, so these type of threads should really be taken with a pinch of salt. The only way you can tell is to experience it yourself.
From a personal point of view, I can honestly say moving to Canada has been the best experience I could ever have wished for. I love pretty much everything about this place. I came with an open mind and I came with a sense of making it work, and luckily for us this is what has happened.
We have been here 8 years now, and have since had a Canadian born child , so this is most definitely our home. I look at the children now, the activities they do, their friends and the attitude of children in general.........and im pretty sure we've made the right decision on where we want our girls growing up.
Although this may seem petty to some people, I love football, so having two girls and the ability within North America to have these girls actively participate and be encouraged to enjoy the sport I love is a massive thing..........Correct me if im wrong but girls football in the UK just wasn't much of an option when we left 8 years ago, maybe things have changed, I don't know, but im sure they wouldn't have had the same opportunity within England. I followed my eldest to a tournament in Seattle last week, and the friendship and camaraderie she experienced whilst on that trip was amazing.
Before we moved to Canada, I would say we had plenty of friends and had a good social life within the UK.
Although not on the same level in Canada, I have made friends and enjoy my social circle here. Granted , Canadians can be a little different, but if you make the effort to get to know them, and not expect them to come up to you first, you can make friends.
If Canada isn't for you, that's fine, you gave it a go and it didn't work. If you love Canada, that's fine too...........whichever boat your in, I honestly believe most people will better for having the experience.
Old Jan 29th 2016, 5:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Shard
WTF is this about FL? First you imply that you are "massively impressed 'in' Canada, then you produce a monologue of mundanities aimed at nobody, then you conclude you are "neither impressed or disappointed in Canada, nor the UK"??

The only noteworthy point is James' revelation that there is some sort of conveyor belt of Hooters girls. Now that's impressive.
Where do I state Im massively impressed Your assumption I guess.
Both countries have pros and cons. I have also lived in Germany, Northern Ireland and Belize. The mundanities in your words show similarities or differences between the UK or Canada.
Compared to Belize Im massively impressed but compared to Germany no Im not.
Old Jan 29th 2016, 5:21 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

You can dress like a cowboy in Canada and people don't even think you have dressed up for Halloween
I don't do that but I do live in a way that would be infeasible for me in the UK so, yes, if you want what you can have here, there's cause to be impressed. We ride horses most days, we don't spend a lot of money on it, we don't have expensive outfits for it and, in the course of it, we don't deal with anyone faintly well-to-do. We live on a plot that can sustain a small herd. Horses are not a pastime that would be sustainable in Camden Town.

I think a case can be made that Canada's better suited to people who like animals than to those who like people and it's especially better for those who like the absence of evidence of human endeavor than it is for those who celebrate human creativity. Things people have done here tend to look lame, the CNN Tower is not an architectural wonder compared to the Tower of London (or, indeed, to Basingstoke Town Hall), American football is not a artful game like actual football, but the fields and cows look much the same here as in the UK and you can have acres of one with hundreds of the other.

The happiest posters seem to be those who can identify the fauna seen from their decks, even those who want to kill it all, and those who want lots of big noisy things. The least happy those who know when they're hearing iambic pentameter and can identify the style of clothing worn by the orator.

Canada. A classless society.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.