Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?

Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?

Old Feb 10th 2016, 11:58 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?

Everyone knows Canada isn't for everyone, and we'll take any thread off-topic if it stalls, we don't mean to be rude. Passive-aggressive pancake chatter and juvenile bear spotting, all part of the emotional roller-coaster.
Old Feb 11th 2016, 12:13 am
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
Everyone knows Canada isn't for everyone, and we'll take any thread off-topic if it stalls, we don't mean to be rude. Passive-aggressive pancake chatter and juvenile bear spotting, all part of the emotional roller-coaster.
Its Canada, where everyone's viewpoint is welcome

its the foreign 'non-traditional' British foods that throw folks off track, such as those brine soaked ribs cooked in a smoker - something you'd never see back in the UK...

Originally Posted by caretaker
Got the extra pack of ribs and brined them 24 hrs (salt, pepper, molasses, brown sugar, red chili, sriracha, bay leaves) and now have the smoker going in the back yard full of pork ribs and hot Italian sausage.
Next thing you'll hear is folks will be eating 'Bear meat'

Last edited by not2old; Feb 11th 2016 at 12:17 am. Reason: added to the post
Old Feb 11th 2016, 12:31 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
Its Canada, where everyone's viewpoint is welcome

its the foreign 'non-traditional' British foods that throw folks off track, such as those brine soaked ribs cooked in a smoker - something you'd never see back in the UK...

Next thing you'll hear is folks will be eating 'Bear meat'

Its so boring here that after awhile they'll even get a taste for beaver.
Old Feb 11th 2016, 12:46 am
Formerly known as Hangman

Tinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Its so boring here that after awhile they'll even get a taste for beaver.
Eat a beaver save a tree.
Old Feb 11th 2016, 1:01 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymum
Or the more juvenile approach I note here ..... To smother the thread with completely irrelevant comments about pancakes...is passive aggressive and I believe that this demonstrates contempt for the original poster.
It's easy to spot Alan's irony but am I missing it in your post?

The OP left this thread more than 10 days ago and there have been about 250 posts since. She's not been active since Feb 1.

Not only that, the first mention of pancakes was suggesting that a comment critical of the OP resulted from too much lemon. That's precisely the opposite of what you suggest.
Old Feb 11th 2016, 1:17 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

I disagree, I find that anyone who makes negative comments (Haylee in this case, but I have seen it many times) are subjected to all sorts of insults.

Or the more juvenile approach I note here ..... To smother the thread with completely irrelevant comments about pancakes and animal spottin this is passive aggressive and I believe that this demonstrates contempt for the original poster.
I think it really depends on how negative comments are put across. If they are sweeping generalisations such as "Canadians are boring!!!" then they will likely draw in a multitude of responses refuting this. On the other hand, if the negative comment is along the lines of "The Canadians I have met so far have been boring" that isn't a generalisation and will likely get a more positive response.

As to irrelevant and irreverent comments, that's BE for you, lol - it happens on almost every thread, regardless of content. It doesn't demonstrate contempt, it's just normal banter... and thread drift...

Old Feb 11th 2016, 1:20 am
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
I think it really depends on how negative comments are put across. If they are sweeping generalisations such as "Canadians are boring!!!" then they will likely draw in a multitude of responses refuting this. On the other hand, if the negative comment is along the lines of "The Canadians I have met so far have been boring" that isn't a generalisation and will likely get a more positive response. As to irrelevant and irreverent comments, that's BE for you, lol - it happens on almost every thread, regardless of content. It doesn't demonstrate contempt, it's just normal banter... and thread drift...
I was going to say that. I've just had to delete it all.
Old Feb 11th 2016, 1:44 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
It's easy to spot Alan's irony ...
I thought I was being subtle
Old Feb 11th 2016, 1:47 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
I think it really depends on how negative comments are put across. If they are sweeping generalisations such as "Canadians are boring!!!" then they will likely draw in a multitude of responses refuting this. On the other hand, if the negative comment is along the lines of "The Canadians I have met so far have been boring" that isn't a generalisation and will likely get a more positive response.

As to irrelevant and irreverent comments, that's BE for you, lol - it happens on almost every thread, regardless of content. It doesn't demonstrate contempt, it's just normal banter... and thread drift...

Beautifully well put
Old Feb 11th 2016, 1:50 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
I thought I was being subtle
You might have gotten away with it if it wasn't for those meddling kids the facebook reference.
Old Feb 11th 2016, 2:01 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
You might have gotten away with it if it wasn't for those meddling kids the facebook reference.
I finally created a FB account earlier this year.

I used to suspect that many of my relatives were a bit (or in some cases a lot) racist and, sadly, seeing the kind of shit that they share has removed all doubt. It's actually really ****ing depressing.
Old Feb 11th 2016, 2:06 am
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

I finally created a FB account earlier this year. I used to suspect that many of my relatives were a bit (or in some cases a lot) racist and, sadly, seeing the kind of shit that they share has removed all doubt. It's actually really ****ing depressing.
Same for me but the opposite. My lot are a bunch of "love the whale, kiss the tree, share your wife" hippies; who incidentally wouldn't follow through on any of them apart from "share you wife" if anyone else was stupid-pissed-stoned enough to follow through
(sorry Rugbymum for the thread thrift again)(not really).
Old Feb 11th 2016, 2:16 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I used to suspect that many of my relatives were a bit (or in some cases a lot) racist and, sadly, seeing the kind of shit that they share has removed all doubt. It's actually really ****ing depressing.
Thank naff for that I'm not the only one. It appears that most my relatives share sympathies with various iterations of current neo-Nazi anti-Islam groups.
Old Feb 11th 2016, 3:32 am
Account Closed

vanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond reputevanity has a reputation beyond repute

I disagree, I find that anyone who makes negative comments (Haylee in this case, but I have seen it many times) are subjected to all sorts of insults.
Ditto.

Has Haylee gone? Pity.

They should really warn newbies to be careful posting here. Cheers for your contributions, rugbymum. Have a good year
Old Feb 11th 2016, 4:33 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
Same for me but the opposite. My lot are a bunch of "love the whale, kiss the tree, share your wife" hippies; who incidentally wouldn't follow through on any of them apart from "share you wife" if anyone else was stupid-pissed-stoned enough to follow through
(sorry Rugbymum for the thread thrift again)(not really).
Originally Posted by Oink
Thank naff for that I'm not the only one. It appears that most my relatives share sympathies with various iterations of current neo-Nazi anti-Islam groups.
You people need to visit TIO for the joy that is the Replies To Facebook thread.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.