Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Anyone in Canmore?

Anyone in Canmore?

Old Nov 30th 2007, 10:27 pm
Forum Regular

hughe has a spectacular aura abouthughe has a spectacular aura abouthughe has a spectacular aura about
Default Anyone in Canmore?

Hi everyone

We landed about 5 weeks ago and had originally planned to live in Bragg Creek but the pull of the mountains was just too strong so we have moved up to Canmore. We have only been here a week but it seems a great place to raise a family (house prices aside). I was just wondering if anyone else lives here and what your impressions are.

I've just read in the local paper that some Geordies are about to open a family restaurant here, it will be like home from home for us!

Anyway, any tips/recommendations or horror stories would be appreciated.

thanks

Hugh
Old Nov 30th 2007, 10:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone in Canmore?

Alro lives in Canmore - they might be along in due course to give you a local low down. Congrats on the move and welcome to Alberta !
Old Nov 30th 2007, 10:57 pm
Forum Regular

hughe has a spectacular aura abouthughe has a spectacular aura abouthughe has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by ann m
Alro lives in Canmore - they might be along in due course to give you a local low down. Congrats on the move and welcome to Alberta !
Thanks Ann, that's kind of you.

We just popped over to Cochrane yesterday actually to get a car seat for my daughter. We were pretty impressed with the range of shops on offer, Canadian Tire seems like a good place to go for a bargain!
Old Dec 1st 2007, 2:24 am
Forum Regular

Alro has a brilliant futureAlro has a brilliant futureAlro has a brilliant futureAlro has a brilliant futureAlro has a brilliant futureAlro has a brilliant futureAlro has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by ann m
Hi Ann M and Hughe.

Yes we do live in Canmore. Kids are in Banff schools and they love it there. Only chose Banff schools as we thought that we may move there. Have since decided that we like Canmore too much to move. Just started working at Sunshine Ski resort about six weeks ago and loving it. I wil PM you with my work details so give me a shout if you want to going sking there.

Where abouts are you ? Send me a PM of you wish. There are some very nice restaurants in Canmore. The Quarry is quite reasonable. I hope that you are settling in fine. Let me know if we can help in any way. Did you ever get your bank account sorted. We found no problems getting a doctor or dentist by the way.

Welcome to Canmore and hope that you are enjoying it as much as we are.

Alro
Old Dec 1st 2007, 5:36 am
Just Joined

graemejw is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes - been living here for 2+ years now. Good place to bring up kids, if outdoor pursuits are your thing you are in one of the best places on Earth! More Brits tha n you can shake a stick at as well. House prices may well have stabilised a bit too recently, there are more for sale notices than at any time since we arrived.

No horror stories - it's a nice place for sure - I even get my regular playing soccer fix, twice a week indoor in the winter & in the local league in the summer.
Old Dec 1st 2007, 1:37 pm
Cochrane AB Bound!

us3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really nice

Canmore was one of the places i wanted to move to but with the increase of house prices looks like it wont happen when we move april 08. Unless i win the lottery.
Now looking at Cochrane/ Water Valley area but still love Canmore.
Try Rocky Mountain Soap Co for some great soaps and bath remedies, im still getting them to ship regular parcels, absolutely love that place.
My sons favourite place to eat is Smittys. he loves the place so does Mr us3.
We had a late breakfast at the Quarry one day last year and it was great.
The pub on the corner was also great in the summer of 05 for a burger, think it has shut down now.
Old Dec 1st 2007, 2:38 pm
Forum Regular

Robbie500 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hugh,

Just enjoy. The people are great, the views are amazing and there are always things going on in town. You will soon find out how proud the Canadians are to be Canadian; unlike us Brits who have lost there identity. People have time for each other and will always chat instead of rushing off in mid sentence.

You will need to get used food shopping which my wife found difficult. There is no double cream or Bisto gravy or OXO cubes. These are mere trifles when you live here. Been here over a year now and we love it.

Rob
Old Dec 1st 2007, 6:51 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Alro
Hi Ann M and Hughe.

Yes we do live in Canmore. Kids are in Banff schools and they love it there. Only chose Banff schools as we thought that we may move there. Have since decided that we like Canmore too much to move. Just started working at Sunshine Ski resort about six weeks ago and loving it. I wil PM you with my work details so give me a shout if you want to going sking there.

Where abouts are you ? Send me a PM of you wish. There are some very nice restaurants in Canmore. The Quarry is quite reasonable. I hope that you are settling in fine. Let me know if we can help in any way. Did you ever get your bank account sorted. We found no problems getting a doctor or dentist by the way.

Welcome to Canmore and hope that you are enjoying it as much as we are.

Alro
Thanks for the reply Alro, I was hoping you might show up!

We have found a doctor already which I must say I was really relieved about, especially having a 14 month old. We have met a few people in Bragg Creek and Calgary and they all seemed to have struggled in finding a doctor. It seems like Canmore is the place to be for healthcare.

Never did get the money issue fully sorted, that is to say swift transfers work well but I still can't use my cards at any cashpoint. It's not such a great hardship as here I can get cash over the counter from a few banks whereas at Bragg Creek I was stuck with a long drive each time.

There will be a PM winging it's way to you later on. I am a complete novice at the whole skiing thing but what I lack in skill I make up for in enthusiasm!
Old Dec 1st 2007, 6:54 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by graemejw
Yes - been living here for 2+ years now. Good place to bring up kids, if outdoor pursuits are your thing you are in one of the best places on Earth! More Brits tha n you can shake a stick at as well. House prices may well have stabilised a bit too recently, there are more for sale notices than at any time since we arrived.

No horror stories - it's a nice place for sure - I even get my regular playing soccer fix, twice a week indoor in the winter & in the local league in the summer.
Thanks for the reply graeme. I'm quite the footy fan being from Newcastle and all that but it tends to be the armchair variety!
Old Dec 1st 2007, 7:00 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by us3andthedog
Canmore was one of the places i wanted to move to but with the increase of house prices looks like it wont happen when we move april 08. Unless i win the lottery.
Now looking at Cochrane/ Water Valley area but still love Canmore.
Try Rocky Mountain Soap Co for some great soaps and bath remedies, im still getting them to ship regular parcels, absolutely love that place.
My sons favourite place to eat is Smittys. he loves the place so does Mr us3.
We had a late breakfast at the Quarry one day last year and it was great.
The pub on the corner was also great in the summer of 05 for a burger, think it has shut down now.
Thanks for the tips. I know what you mean about the house prices but it seems like such a great place we really want to try and make it work. I would live in a shack for this scenery!
Old Dec 1st 2007, 7:02 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Robbie500
Hugh,

Just enjoy. The people are great, the views are amazing and there are always things going on in town. You will soon find out how proud the Canadians are to be Canadian; unlike us Brits who have lost there identity. People have time for each other and will always chat instead of rushing off in mid sentence.

You will need to get used food shopping which my wife found difficult. There is no double cream or Bisto gravy or OXO cubes. These are mere trifles when you live here. Been here over a year now and we love it.

Rob
Thanks Rob, you wife must be on the same wavelength as mine as the first thing she complained about was the lack of Bisto!
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 2:15 am
Forum Regular

Londonlady108 is just really niceLondonlady108 is just really niceLondonlady108 is just really niceLondonlady108 is just really niceLondonlady108 is just really niceLondonlady108 is just really niceLondonlady108 is just really niceLondonlady108 is just really niceLondonlady108 is just really niceLondonlady108 is just really niceLondonlady108 is just really nice

Hi there - we were at Sunshine last weekend Nov 25th and found more Brits than Aussies- that's a first hey? Anyway where do you work in Sunshine I will look out for you next time. Will probably be up there again before Xmas - Cari
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 2:57 am
Forum Regular

Alro has a brilliant futureAlro has a brilliant futureAlro has a brilliant futureAlro has a brilliant futureAlro has a brilliant futureAlro has a brilliant futureAlro has a brilliant future

Evening All,

Got home from work out at Sunshine today where it was very cold. Still quite busy as they some fresh snow a few days ago. It was-23 putting the kids onto the school bus yesterday. Just been out for a meal with the OH and kids. Fantastic place, it was called Mine, a Thai / Japanese restaurant.

Funny, a Saturday night and the place was not busy due to the extreme cold.

We love it here as it is not a tourist town like Banff. Have to say that the drive to work every morning is a pure delight as the scenery is beautiful. Also will never tire of the wild animals that we encounter. On Wednesday evening, driving back from work, had to slow down for the probably the biggest elk I had ever seen. Good God alive it was the size of a horse.

Anyone planning to go out to Sunshine, then PM me. Would love to hear how you are all settling in.

Agree that house prices are crazy. We were lucky to have bought back two and a half years ago when prices weren't too bad, God only knows how people manage to live here.

Hope you all are not finding it too cold at the moment, wrap up warm.

Alro