Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Anyone been able to Rent while on an IEC visa?

Anyone been able to Rent while on an IEC visa?

Old May 28th 2014, 1:58 am
Forum Regular

AnotherBloke is a name known to allAnotherBloke is a name known to allAnotherBloke is a name known to allAnotherBloke is a name known to allAnotherBloke is a name known to allAnotherBloke is a name known to allAnotherBloke is a name known to allAnotherBloke is a name known to allAnotherBloke is a name known to allAnotherBloke is a name known to allAnotherBloke is a name known to all
Default Anyone been able to Rent while on an IEC visa?

Hello BE,

Simple question; does anyone have any experiance or knowledge of renting while on an IEC Visa?

I'm working full time, and looking to rent. I have no credit history in canada; which I think might be a road block.

Please let me know

Last edited by AnotherBloke; May 28th 2014 at 3:42 am.
Old May 28th 2014, 2:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone been able to Rent while on an IEC visa?

Originally Posted by AnotherBloke
Hello BE,

Simple question; does anyone have any experiance or knowledge of renting while on an IEC Visa?

Knowledge, yes. In which province? What exactly is your question? Are you already renting, or are you looking to rent?

I'm permenantly employed,
^^^ this does not compute (in my mind) with IEC visa?

S
Old May 28th 2014, 2:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shirtback

S
Full time hours for the 12 months is my bet.
Old May 28th 2014, 3:40 am
Forum Regular

AnotherBloke is a name known to allAnotherBloke is a name known to allAnotherBloke is a name known to allAnotherBloke is a name known to allAnotherBloke is a name known to allAnotherBloke is a name known to allAnotherBloke is a name known to allAnotherBloke is a name known to allAnotherBloke is a name known to allAnotherBloke is a name known to allAnotherBloke is a name known to all

S
Looking to rent, and I'm in Montreal QC.
Old May 28th 2014, 4:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Full time hours for the 12 months is my bet.
Fairy 'nuff.

Originally Posted by AnotherBloke
Looking to rent, and I'm in Montreal QC.
So what do you want/need to know? Quebec is very tenant friendly: it is illegal to request or require a security deposit; 1st month's rent in advance is the most that can be asked; credit check, sometimes (& 0 credit - i.e. No history either way - is deemed to be positive). Some LL may ask you to provide post-dated cheques, which is illegal, but sometimes seen as a way to "reassure" LL.

A lease is a legal obligation (I.e. LL must provide one); for more info see rdl.gouv.qc.ca.

Rules are slightly different for furnished/unfurnished, short v. Long term rentals.

S
Old May 28th 2014, 9:58 pm
Forum Regular

So what do you want/need to know? Quebec is very tenant friendly: it is illegal to request or require a security deposit; 1st month's rent in advance is the most that can be asked; credit check, sometimes (& 0 credit - i.e. No history either way - is deemed to be positive). Some LL may ask you to provide post-dated cheques, which is illegal, but sometimes seen as a way to "reassure" LL.

A lease is a legal obligation (I.e. LL must provide one); for more info see rdl.gouv.qc.ca.

Rules are slightly different for furnished/unfurnished, short v. Long term rentals.

S
Thanks very much.

Old Jun 1st 2014, 7:46 pm
is awesome

catpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud of

I rented my own apartment in Quebec on IEC. For my first year with no credit history, I just rented from a landlord that didn't care about looking at it. My second IEC year I also found a landlord that didn't care about looking but did have a credit history by then obviously. In other words, it would only be an issue with some landlords. The thought of Montreal apartments - particularly the older ones - fills me with horror! I loved hearing my landlords snoring in the downstairs apartment during the night. Make sure you don't pick one of the old wooden dumps.