Anyone in B.C

Old May 4th 2009, 9:53 am
Just Joined

debzf is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone in B.C

Hi all

Our original plan was a move to Vancouver with other half as the main bread-winner (he's a research engineer) and me working part-time (dialysis nurse)Unfortunately with the global recession all of his potential job offers have been put on hold and now we are exploring the option of going with only me working!!

Bit worried about how we will manage as Vancouver seems quite an expensive place to live and would love to hear from anyone who has gone through a similar experience. We would consider other places in B.C. but not sure where to start.

We also have two boys aged 9 and 11 who have to be taken into consideration.

Thanks
Old May 4th 2009, 5:50 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone in B.C

Originally Posted by debzf
Hi all

Our original plan was a move to Vancouver with other half as the main bread-winner (he's a research engineer) and me working part-time (dialysis nurse)Unfortunately with the global recession all of his potential job offers have been put on hold and now we are exploring the option of going with only me working!!

Bit worried about how we will manage as Vancouver seems quite an expensive place to live and would love to hear from anyone who has gone through a similar experience. We would consider other places in B.C. but not sure where to start.

We also have two boys aged 9 and 11 who have to be taken into consideration.

Thanks

Hi Debzf and welcome to the forum.

We're heading for Vancouver and I won't be working (we have a 2 year old and 4 year old to keep me busy!) so we'll be relying on my husbands income.

But if you can manage will depend on things like how much money you will be taking with you, what salary you will be earning and what area you are hoping to live in. Plus what kind of lifestyle you will want (i.e. 2 cars/skiing every weekend/eating out, or a bicycle/no activities/home cooked food!).

If you can give us an idea of the above, then somebody who lives there should be able to tell you if it's feasible or not to live on just your salary in case it takes your husband a long time to find work.

Old May 4th 2009, 7:21 pm
Bring on the snow!

Rob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond repute

In terms of cost of living, Vancouver is no different from most parts of the UK. Would you survive in the UK on only your salary? Also consider how long could you survive before he gets a job.

We came over here with no jobs, but then the economy was strong and we had no kids to think about. Personally I wouldn't move right now unless one of you has firm job offer and you know you can last a year with the OH not working...
Old May 4th 2009, 7:49 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

What Rob says - we are on one salary - would prefer two - but its hard here at the mo!
Old May 4th 2009, 8:10 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

You may not be able to afford certain areas of metro Vancouver but could probably survive on 1 income if its sufficient to cover your needs.

There are also places like Abbotsford which just opened a brand new hospital, cost of living is lower, a little more rural, but still a short hop to the city for recreation.

Vancouver is just 1 city in the metro area.
Old May 4th 2009, 9:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond repute

My nursing co worker from UK lives on 1 pay cheque with a stay at home husband and 3 kids.There are lots of overtime,she loves her work that is a plus and on an average she works 4 -5(12hrs) shifts OT per month.

She lives about 45mins-1hr.from downtown Vancouver , not everyone can function like her and she has been doing this for 5 years now.

It can be done,however you need a fulltime job and do some overtime
shifts.Rent first,get that RN registration and pass the probation period
at work before buying a house.

There are satellite dialysis centers all over BC,you might find a job there in a smaller community which is more affordable.Good luck with your decsion.

Yoong
Old May 4th 2009, 9:07 pm
9 months, start to finish

gibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond repute

north shore.....ummmmm, expensive!!! vancouver, as in the city of, is expensive, as is downtown......but it all depends on your income and needs......if your income will stretch to you living nearer to the centre of things and your comute time is okay in terms of work location to home location, then any of the above is brilliant.....

port moody, coquitlam, laddner, burnaby, abbottsford....all cheaper areas and very nice areas......some parts of surrey are cheaper (it's a big area).....comute time to downtown is about 45/1 hour ish.......there is alot of translink going into the outlying areas, so it's always improving.....
Old May 5th 2009, 7:56 pm
West Coast Enthusiast

Frank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud of

Hi Debzf,

You have got a lot of advice already. As someone who sees a lot of people moving into BC, I see quite a variety of experiences too. Quite a few do survive on one salary or one plus some part time. Nurses are pretty well paid from my understanding and UK nurses seem to be valued and at least a couple of our nurse clients have seen fairly rapid promotion.

Choosing an area is hard without getting a handle on where you'll be working, schooling, how much of a commute you'll do and the budget. As a realtor I can help with prices of houses but you are better of renting initially unless you are VERY sure of where you want to be.

Keep working the jobs though, as there is work around.

Warmly,

Frank
Old May 13th 2009, 10:54 am
Just Joined

debzf is an unknown quantity at this point

Massive thanks for all of your replies they have given us a lot to think about!

Had set my heart on North Vancouver but are considering a second reece in September to have a look furthur afield.

Wish us luck and watch this space!

Deb
Old May 13th 2009, 3:55 pm
Forum Regular

islandboy will become famous soon enough

Hi,You could think about Vancouver Island it is a growing place,both Victoria and Nanaimo have large hospitals and I would think would be interested in you.It also tends to be less expensive to live on the Island it also happens to be one of the most beautiful places on the planet which is a big plus.
Old May 22nd 2009, 6:20 am
Just Joined

maxinehynes is just really nicemaxinehynes is just really nicemaxinehynes is just really nicemaxinehynes is just really nicemaxinehynes is just really nicemaxinehynes is just really nicemaxinehynes is just really nicemaxinehynes is just really nice

hi, we moved to kamloops nov 5th 08 so 6 months in now, and we love it here. its 4 hours drive to vancouver, we go down there sometimes to visit friends and cant wait to get back up here to kamloops no traffic jams, sun shinning its like going from england to spain. mind you lots of snow in the winter but good for skiing which we did for the first time this year. my boys are 12 and 14 and the love it and dont miss the uk at all, the youngest said it was like he never lived there, they both have made lots of friends and both play in football teams which is where we have made a lot of friends too. its a lot cheaper up here we brought a 4 bed house opp the golf course for $275,000 so if you are looking in B.C. i cant recomend this place high enough. we got our passports back today now we have to go to the states come back in and are perminant residents which is handy as we are of to the states for a soccer tournament with our boys next month. we came here on TWP and applied for PR at xmas and now its all done. Hope this helps any more questions ask away. good luck max
Old May 23rd 2009, 5:46 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by debzf
Massive thanks for all of your replies they have given us a lot to think about!

Had set my heart on North Vancouver but are considering a second reece in September to have a look furthur afield.

Wish us luck and watch this space!

Deb
If you have you heart set on North Van then why not rent there at first?

You'll likely want a three bedroom place and these start from $1,700 a month. However, for a really nice place you would need to budget $2,400 a month plus utilities.

I like North Van very much, but it is one of the more expensive areas and has more than its fair share of winter rain.

A year gives you plenty of time to look around before you commit to buying.