Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Anyone in Amherst NS?

Anyone in Amherst NS?

Old Jan 30th 2010, 9:16 pm
BE Troll

Lord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone in Amherst NS?

Originally Posted by Lady Locket
You are right, we would like to be outside of the town. Where we are at the moment is semi-rural with just one shop-come-mini-post-office, a pub and community hall nearby, but is still within a 15-20min drive (longer in traffic!) of shops and petrol stations etc; so that kind of set up would suit us fine. Wherever we end up, we would need to be within a 20-30 minute commute of a hospital with A&E and Diagnostic Imaging for hubby to work at.

I personally would like a library somewhere nearby, and some social facilities for young children (moms&tots etc) would be good. Room to expand our home grown food, and access to hiking etc.

We did like Bridgewater and the surrounding area, but there is no work for hubby there (at the moment). Truro is also an option, especially with the new hospital being built. Obviously there is Halifax, which offers the best work options, but we feel that getting the space we want, at the price we want within a short commute is a bit unobtainable - though our minds are open!
There is a member "silverdragon" who I believe lives outside of Amherst. Maybe they will be along to give you an opinion. good luck with whatever you decide.
Old Jan 30th 2010, 9:36 pm
Forum Regular

Lady Locket has a brilliant futureLady Locket has a brilliant futureLady Locket has a brilliant futureLady Locket has a brilliant futureLady Locket has a brilliant futureLady Locket has a brilliant futureLady Locket has a brilliant futureLady Locket has a brilliant future

Thank you!
Old Jan 31st 2010, 11:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Did someone mention my name

I live about 18 miles (30 km) from Amherst and love it. Yes it has some rough patches but to be honest have seen a lot worse in the UK. It takes me about 20 mins to drive to Amherst and in the UK it would take me a lot longer to drive the same distance. Traffic is a lot quieter and a lot more free flowing. I do all my shopping in Amherst with no real problems and as DH is veggie I can still get everything I need shopping wise. Saying that Moncton is about 30 mins up the road and anything I can't get in Amherst and that isn't much I can usually get from Moncton. I live about 10 mins from the coast and there are plenty of beaches to go to which are generally quiet especially compared to the UK. We have approx 18 acres of land and a great big house which is great for us as we have 4 dogs and dh works from home so is able to have a good office without impacting on the rest of the house. I don't have kids but my neighbour who has 3 kids says the schools where her kids go are very good. I do have a small veggie plot which I didn't do well with last year (first year) but hoping to do better this year. Seasons for veggie growing is a bit later than the UK but that is more due to the likely getting of frost up to beginning/middle of June. However many here do have and grow their own veggies.

If you want to chat at all I am happy to chat on the phone.
Old Jan 31st 2010, 11:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Just to add the hospital is a fairely newly built one and the ER isn't too bad, I had to use the ER last year after a bad fall following the ice storm we had and was seen, Xrayed and treated within 2 hours and on my way home. Also have found the roads in general ploughed regularly in the winter so although driving can get a bit bad at times it isn't as bad as I expected and this winter up to now is certainly milder that last winter