British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Anybody moving in May to Canada? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/anybody-moving-may-canada-788234/)

Theoldfields Apr 9th 2013 10:08 pm

Re: Anybody moving in May to Canada?

Originally Posted by siouxie (Post 10649134)
I think giving her a link to a specific page that shows what it is negates the interpretation problem, to be honest, and I did say 'trailer'.

http://coachmenrv.com/products/fifthwheels.aspx

An RV is a recreational vehicle, not a specific type of one. What you are "thinking" is an RV is a motorised RV. Stating 'caravan' could be interpreted as a static caravan or a motorised caravan - do you see what I mean?

I think you are going to have fun learning :D

I understood the link thanks but not too pleased at being called 'her' !!

Mrs. B. Apr 9th 2013 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by Jane Barlow (Post 10648952)
Mrs B - whereabouts north of Calgary are you going? We're going to Cochrane mid/end May all being well! Can't book flights yet as are waiting on house completion date....

We are going to red deer which is about an hour north of where you will be. Same boat as you, cant book flights until we sell house but possibly my hubby will go ahead if his job needs him to start. I hate this waiting game so much!

Siouxie Apr 9th 2013 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by Theoldfields (Post 10650128)
I understood the link thanks but not too pleased at being called 'her' !!

Apologies - I edited my original post to amend that statement for you!

;)

Theoldfields Apr 9th 2013 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by siouxie (Post 10650138)
Apologies - I edited my original post to amend that statement for you!

;)

No need to apologise - just a bit of fun. If I could work out how to edit statements I'd change mine too!

Theoldfields Apr 9th 2013 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by AberystwythGirl (Post 10648234)
I caused a total riot in our vets the other day getting the cat and dog pet passports - not easy to handle an excited dog on a lead and his best friend in a carry cage!

A 5th wheel is a type of caravan which has a raised part at the front which goes over a pick up truck and links into a large articulated hitch. Much more stable than our ball hitches (called bumper hitches in Canada).

We will also be flying into Vancouver hopefully with the cat and dog on the same flight but the horses will be flying into Calgary!

Will definately have to meet up for a drink and chat - will PM you our address & my husbands cell number.

The vets sounds like fun and you'll get to do it all again when they go back for the fit to travel certificate ( assuming cats need one too.). The first time we took the dog on the ferry she cried the whole night so we're just hoping she's not within earshot on the flight!!

I'll PM you our address and my wife's mobile number when I'm back home as we'll be using her mobile when we get there.

dollface Apr 13th 2013 7:16 am

Originally Posted by siouxie (Post 10649134)
I think giving "the OP" a link to a specific page that shows what it is negates the interpretation problem, to be honest, and I did say 'trailer'.

http://coachmenrv.com/products/fifthwheels.aspx

An RV is a recreational vehicle, not a specific type of one. What you are "thinking" is an RV is a motorised RV. Stating 'caravan' could be interpreted as a static caravan or a motorised caravan - do you see what I mean?

I think you are going to have fun learning :D

I'd call a 5th wheel a trailer:o to me, an RV is an all in one, motor home type thingy and i'd been in Canada over 13 years.

warbs1981 Apr 14th 2013 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by Welsh Sparky (Post 10649550)
Thanks, no doubt my wife will be asking lot's of questions about Red Deer soon

I need to make a massive list of things to ask... be prepared ladies (and gents if there are any?) :D

Spent a chunk of today looking at Red Deer, and I'm still no wiser as to where we should live (other than in the south/south east), trying to live fairly close to schools too

Piff Poff Apr 14th 2013 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by warbs1981 (Post 10658865)
I need to make a massive list of things to ask... be prepared ladies (and gents if there are any?) :D

Spent a chunk of today looking at Red Deer, and I'm still no wiser as to where we should live (other than in the south/south east), trying to live fairly close to schools too

Dont worry about living too close to schools as the school buses will pick the kids up, in fact you dont want to be too close Lol

Www.rdpsd.ab.ca

Www.rdpsd.ab.ca/transportation.php

The bussing to and from schools is excellent imo.

Mad Jockette Apr 14th 2013 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by warbs1981 (Post 10658865)

you could register with a realtor and they would give you some good info regards the areas to live with the decent schools etc. That is what we did (excluding the schools as we don't need these) and our realtor and his wife became very good friends of ours. it was a chance we took and came up trumps with a really informative and nice man and his family.

AberystwythGirl Apr 14th 2013 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by Mad Jockette (Post 10658899)
you could register with a realtor and they would give you some good info regards the areas to live with the decent schools etc. That is what we did (excluding the schools as we don't need these) and our realtor and his wife became very good friends of ours. it was a chance we took and came up trumps with a really informative and nice man and his family.

Our realtor in Kelowna was fantastic - he asked the sellers all the questions we didn't know to ask - school bus routes (not because we need schools but because the roads get ploughed), fire cover, etc etc etc - he really acted for us and found us the perfect property and made sure we were well treated. We think its a wonderful system - shame it doesn't exist in the UK.

AberystwythGirl Apr 14th 2013 10:53 pm

Expecting an inspection of our property tomorrow to grant us permission to quarrantine the horses there - hope our fences are still standing!!! Keep your fingers crossed for us. If we get it we can book our flights!!!!

Mad Jockette Apr 15th 2013 1:32 am

Originally Posted by AberystwythGirl (Post 10659017)
Expecting an inspection of our property tomorrow to grant us permission to quarrantine the horses there - hope our fences are still standing!!! Keep your fingers crossed for us. If we get it we can book our flights!!!!

:fingerscrossed: hope it all goes your way and you can get your flights booked.

:D

Mrs. B. Apr 15th 2013 10:52 am

Originally Posted by AberystwythGirl (Post 10659017)

Best of luck x

warbs1981 Apr 17th 2013 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by Piff Poff (Post 10658898)
Dont worry about living too close to schools as the school buses will pick the kids up, in fact you dont want to be too close Lol

Www.rdpsd.ab.ca

Www.rdpsd.ab.ca/transportation.php

The bussing to and from schools is excellent imo.

That's good to hear! They're a nightmare in North Wales. I don't want to live too far as I can't drive at the moment, so need to be able to get there if I need to... but no, wouldn't want to live too close to them, far too many children about :p

warbs1981 Apr 17th 2013 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by Mad Jockette (Post 10658899)

Thanks, I'll definitely do that! We have our house for sale over here not heard anything from the Estate Agent since we put it up (not holding out much hope of it ever selling though!)