British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Any VPNs still work for BBC/ITV? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/any-vpns-still-work-bbc-itv-875177/)

Gozit Apr 5th 2016 4:58 am

Re: Any VPNs still work for BBC/ITV?

Originally Posted by Londonuck (Post 11912192)

Download Hola app and use to download British apps.

No, do NOT download Hola. And if its installed on your machine, remove it. Here's why: Adios, Hola! - Why you should immediately uninstall Hola , scroll down a bit to see the reasons why not.

Gozit Apr 5th 2016 4:59 am

We are on unotelly trial as well and I am good on US netflix, and UK BBC iPlayer.

Tangram Apr 5th 2016 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by Gozit (Post 11914044)
We are on unotelly trial as well and I am good on US netflix, and UK BBC iPlayer.

Keep us informed, if Unotelly proves reliable I will switch from Unblockus as I'm only getting ITV/BBC through them now not all Netflix

bats May 14th 2016 1:57 am

BBC no longer works via Unblockus for us. It knows we are not in the UK. So with that Netflix choices gone it's very boring

Tootlepootle May 14th 2016 2:45 am

Originally Posted by bats (Post 11947684)
BBC no longer works via Unblockus for us. It knows we are not in the UK. So with that Netflix choices gone it's very boring

It was working for me, maybe need an update?

plasticcanuck May 14th 2016 12:54 pm

UNblockus works very well for me on my iPad and PC. As a matter of fact it is working even better over the past few weeks. I can get BBC, ITV and Channels 4 & 5 and more. Most times I want to watch any of these I go to UNblockUs and, although it's set for UK I tap the update button. That, so far, does the trick.
Good Luck.

bats May 14th 2016 1:46 pm

You mean the Netflix location setting on Unblockus?

I'll have a look, it was ok on Thursday and yesterday the screen just said we weren't in the uk so hop pit. Or words to that effect. I have emailed Unblockus so will see what they say.

Tangram May 14th 2016 4:43 pm

For those UK sites and players mentioned you actually don't need to update the location at all when you are using unblockus. I am currently using it and it is set to Netflix region Canada (as it doesn't work for Netflix anymore) but all devices and apple tvs allow the UK players without any issue. Just do an refresh of the IP DNS setting on the unblockus page if you occasionally come across issue, I did last night as I had flipped back and to from using another VPN during a download.

Wharfer May 14th 2016 5:26 pm

Unlocator is still working very well. Maybe sign up for their 7 day free trial?:fingerscrossed::thumbsup: What do guys think about the coming BBC Iplayer changes with the license fee implementation from 2017 onwards

Gozit May 14th 2016 8:16 pm

Unotelly still fine here as well...Unblockus seems to be non operational with the Netflix so we have switched our subscription over to Unotelly.

bats May 14th 2016 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by Tangram (Post 11948019)
For those UK sites and players mentioned you actually don't need to update the location at all when you are using unblockus. I am currently using it and it is set to Netflix region Canada (as it doesn't work for Netflix anymore) but all devices and apple tvs allow the UK players without any issue. Just do an refresh of the IP DNS setting on the unblockus page if you occasionally come across issue, I did last night as I had flipped back and to from using another VPN during a download.

So which page is that on please?

GC44 May 15th 2016 4:10 pm

Overplay, we have used this for probably the last 3 years. Still reliable, no complaints.

Tangram May 15th 2016 7:29 pm

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by bats (Post 11948220)
So which page is that on please?

The home page after you have logged in

fyi I have just given notice to stop unblockus, not because the BBC etc isn't working as it is ok, just poor information and communication following their failure with Netflix.
With only have the service working, I will let the month run out and move over to either Overplay or Unotelly

bats May 15th 2016 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by Tangram (Post 11948734)

fyi I have just given notice to stop unblockus, not because the BBC etc isn't working as it is ok, just poor information and communication following their failure with Netflix.
With only have the service working, I will let the month run out and move over to either Overplay or Unotelly

Thanks, after reading your previous post I refreshed that page and we are back with the Beeb.

Gozit May 16th 2016 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by Tangram (Post 11948734)

Yeah, kinda sucks for us as we had paid the yearly sub with unblockus in january, so technically we still have it all year, but now i'm going to do the monthly sub for unotelly, just in case it breaks then we aren't committed all year. Unblockus isn't really cooperating or fixing much :(