Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Any vegetarians in Canada?

Any vegetarians in Canada?

Old Aug 18th 2009, 3:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any vegetarians in Canada?

Originally Posted by el_richo
Just out of curiosity, do the vegetarians on here still wear leather products, use capsuled medicine, wear cashmere, eat chewing gum, own silk products, use soap, use tooshpaste, use washing powder.........etc etc?
My OH is actually vegan so he won't wear leather or silk or eat anything with gelatine etc., I'm a little more lax I do my best to avoid animal products but I still eat eggs and cheese and drink milk.
Old Aug 18th 2009, 3:46 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gloveman
No - understanding bacon is meat!!! When you say you don't eat meat it means any part of an animal or fish not just the lumps of steak.
You complained that vegetables were cooked on the same grill as had been used for meat. That's what I'd offer at a home barbecue, I wouldn't buy a second grill in order to indulge someone's cullinary preferences. Blimey, a guest as demanding as that wouldn't get offered one of my fags.
Old Aug 18th 2009, 3:49 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

No - understanding bacon is meat!!! When you say you don't eat meat it means any part of an animal or fish not just the lumps of steak.
Check the ingredients of your toothpaste, it may contain Glycerine

I think photographic film uses Gelatin too so you house may be decorated with animal by-product
Old Aug 18th 2009, 3:49 pm

gloveman is an unknown quantity at this point

Just out of curiosity, do the vegetarians on here still wear leather products, use capsuled medicine, wear cashmere, eat chewing gum, own silk products, use soap, use tooshpaste, use washing powder.........etc etc?

I'm not against vegetarians in the slightest. My veggie friends make me smile with regards to their double standards when they refuse to eat meat on the grounds of compassion while walking around in their leather shoes after brushing their teeth and then popping a bit of chewie (not of star wars fame) in their mouths

Granted some of the items above can be found containing no animal by-products but many don't.

Hope this doesn't start a debate on the subject mind you. Saying that, i am feeling grumpy today................
Can't speak for others but I don't wear leather, silk or cashmere. As for food, I always check the label but I am sure something has slipped through inadvertently over the years. To be honest, don't check the toothpaste/washing powder labels. Is there really animal by-products in washing powder? Just checked, no ingredients are given on the package.
Old Aug 18th 2009, 3:50 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Which boils down to, why do people choose to be vegetarian.
They do it because they want to. The same as people choose to take up a religion or learn Spanish. It does no harm to people who have not chosen to participate and so it's something of which people in general should be mildly supportive. Judging whether or not someone else is properly vegetarian is like judging whether or not they're properly gay; it's vindictive and pointless.
Old Aug 18th 2009, 3:52 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Is there really animal by-products in washing powder? Just checked, no ingredients are given on the package.
Some can contain soap-based animal fats in the ingredients. Not all though.

It's an animal minefield out there
Old Aug 18th 2009, 3:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Check the ingredients of your toothpaste, it may contain Glycerine

I think photographic film uses Gelatin too so you house may be decorated with animal by-product
I even read a thing awhile ago that said a lot of cigarettes contain honey so you can't have those either if you want to be vegan.
Old Aug 18th 2009, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33
You complained that vegetables were cooked on the same grill as had been used for meat. That's what I'd offer at a home barbecue, I wouldn't buy a second grill in order to indulge someone's cullinary preferences. Blimey, a guest as demanding as that wouldn't get offered one of my fags.
No, I didn't complain actually and I never expect people to go out of their way to accommodate me. I just find it terribly difficult to offend people when they think they have done something really good by preparing me a veg kebab and have cooked in along with the steak to turn round and say sorry but I can't eat that.

I have a problem upsetting people, you obviously don't!
Old Aug 18th 2009, 4:01 pm

Some can contain soap-based animal fats in the ingredients. Not all though.

It's an animal minefield out there
Didn't know that. Checked all the washing powder and toothpaste I have in the house and none have the ingredients. Chances are therefore that I have used stuff but it was unwittingly done so my conscience is clear - just need to do some research. Thanks for pointing it out to me.
Old Aug 18th 2009, 4:03 pm
Beep

Originally Posted by dbd33
They do it because they want to. The same as people choose to take up a religion or learn Spanish. It does no harm to people who have not chosen to participate and so it's something of which people in general should be mildly supportive. Judging whether or not someone else is properly vegetarian is like judging whether or not they're properly gay; it's vindictive and pointless.
I'm not judging people in the slightest. I'm just merely being curious.

All i'm suggesting is that if people are veggie on compassionate grounds then surely if they continue to eat and use items containing animal by-product then it's no different from a man pertaining to be "Straight" while sleeping with other men. It's purely being selective when it suits them. I'm not judging, just being curious. Just gaining a personal understanding of why people choose to be vegetarians.

I am fully supportive of people who choose, even selectively, to be a veggie. I also find the selectivity mildly amusing.
Old Aug 18th 2009, 4:05 pm
Beep

No, I didn't complain actually and I never expect people to go out of their way to accommodate me. I just find it terribly difficult to offend people when they think they have done something really good by preparing me a veg kebab and have cooked in along with the steak to turn round and say sorry but I can't eat that.

I have a problem upsetting people, you obviously don't!
Might i add that when we have BBQ's i always cook our Veggie stuff in the Kitchen away from the meat.

I'm a conscientious host
Old Aug 18th 2009, 4:07 pm
Assimilated Pauper

cooked in along with the steak to turn round and say sorry but I can't eat that.
Why can't you eat it? It's still a vegetable and no animal is saved by your not eating it, aren't you just giving needless offence by spurning the efforts of your host?
Old Aug 18th 2009, 4:10 pm
Just Joined

MarkThompson is an unknown quantity at this point

Anyone with experience with vegetarianism in Montreal or Quebec in general?
I know from experience that continental France just doesn't understand people that don't eat meat, wondering if French Canada has a similar attitude.

I've traveled quite a bit and the toughest place for me was Spain, they are crazy about meat, at breakfast one day I took a bite of a harmless bread roll only to discover it was littered with chunks of ham!
Old Aug 18th 2009, 4:11 pm
Assimilated Pauper

All i'm suggesting is that if people are veggie on compassionate grounds
Isn't misguided compassion the only reason for being vegetarian? I can't imagine people want to develop the disposition of Heather McCartney.
Old Aug 18th 2009, 4:11 pm
Beep

Originally Posted by MarkThompson
...one day I took a bite of a harmless bread roll only to discover it was littered with chunks of ham!
Sounds like you were Hambushed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.