Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

any UK trained nurses recently registered in Ontario?

any UK trained nurses recently registered in Ontario?

Old Jan 31st 2012, 8:50 am
Forum Regular

michellemck is an unknown quantity at this point
Default any UK trained nurses recently registered in Ontario?

I am awaiting assessment by CNO (1 yr now!) and have my PR and am here in Ontario.

Graduated 2008 from Glasgow Caledonian BScN adult branch. Began doing more research, while awaiting assessment and stumbled upon possibility that I may have to do some more training due to our training system being branch orientated and not general i.e. child/mental health/adult etc. I really had no idea this would be the case, didn't even cross my mind actually. Having already registered and worked in Australia, assumed my qualifications were solid.

Anyway, hearing different stories, some people requiring a period of re-training, others not.

Can anyone shed any light on this, if you had similar experience, did you do more training, where and how long for?

Have looked at allnurse.com but not many UK nurse experiences on there that fit this critieria so thought I'd try on here.

Thanks, in advance for any help. All much appreciated. Driving myself mad thinking of 'what if's'... it's my nature to be that way tho
Old Jan 31st 2012, 8:53 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: any UK trained nurses recently registered in Ontario?

***paging Silverdragon, would Silverdragon come to the forum please***

Old Jan 31st 2012, 9:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Already discussed situation with this member over on allnurses. If short on paeds, obstetric and mental health in any way both clinical and theory unless pass SEC I can't see how you will meet requirements. Canadian nurses are general trained. We have had a couple of members post on here that they took SEC and was told they need to do further training and I think one member said his wife has had to get a student visa and come over for a 12 month course to meet requirements

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hlight=nursing
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hlight=nursing

Last edited by Silverdragon102; Jan 31st 2012 at 9:43 am. Reason: add links
Old Jan 31st 2012, 9:53 am
Forum Regular

michellemck is an unknown quantity at this point

yes, we have corresponded, silverdragon 102, and thanks for the help!

I realise this may be the case, just would like to know the likely timeline that said training may be, hence stating when and where i graduated as someone with similar training may be able to give me some information.

No one wants to go back at study. Personally, I only ever want to work with adults and know I will never ever use this new training. This however is what is required to register and will give me experience within a canadian health care setting.

I am getting married in July and this may put the brakes on our baby making plans, and my clock is tick tocking at me . It may be speed them up though, depending on how long the course is and I know I can only start these courses at certain times of year.

So, if anyone had similar experience and can tell me how long they re-trained for, that would be great!