Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Any UK Chartered Accountants Here?

Any UK Chartered Accountants Here?

Old Jul 23rd 2011, 12:04 am
Just Joined

BOBDEL2020 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any UK Chartered Accountants Here?

Hello All Forum members. I am quite new to this forum. A bit about me. I am a chartered accountant from the UK (ACCA) and a fully qualified CGA. A masters degree in finance and investment from the University of Edinburgh. I have been working in the UK over the last 8 years with JPMorgan Chase and Royal Bank of Scotland as an Accountant. My family and I have a full permanent residence to Canada. We were in Canada about a year ago to complete the PR formalities. I am now ready to move to Canada permanently and wanted to find out if any chartered accountant here managed to secure a job before moving finally to Canada? and what are the chances of getting a CA job in Canada.
We are currently looking into Calgary and Toronto but would not turn down offers from other places in Canada with good remuneration to commensurate my experience, qualification and skills.
Thanks so much of reading this.
Regards
Bob
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 4:43 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any UK Chartered Accountants Here?

Originally Posted by BOBDEL2020
Hello All Forum members. I am quite new to this forum. A bit about me. I am a chartered accountant from the UK (ACCA) and a fully qualified CGA.
That is stretching things a bit isn't it? CGAs are proud of their designation and don't try and pretend to be some sort of chartered accountants. That said, there are many CGAs working in CA firms, but they are still CGAs.

What sort of work are you looking for? To stay in banking? Other commercial/industrial? Audit or general practice?

I don't think you will have too much trouble finding work once you are here if your experience and skills are also relevant in a Canadian context. From the UK? Not very likely.

However, your skills and experience will probably be discounted compared to someone with the equivalent in a Canadian environment. Be prepared to work at a slightly lower level and with a more modest salary for a year or two.