Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Any TV/Internet/Phone package advice please?

Any TV/Internet/Phone package advice please?

Old Jun 16th 2014, 2:08 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any TV/Internet/Phone package advice please?

Originally Posted by gozitanguygoinghome99xx
I second Schnookololy's post... But do note that Shaw, Telus et al are not available in Ontario. Only out west.
Telus is definitely available in Ontario, they have their own network here and everything. But, as you said further down, only for mobile, not for cable/internet, which is worth stating at the same time.

In Ontario you have the following options

TV: Rogers and Bell (sadly) (Bell Fibe TV requires that you have Bell Fibe Internet which is a ripoff, but its good internet)
There are also internet TV providers, like VMedia (VMedia: Cable TV & Internet Service Provider Toronto/Ontario, IPTV & Home Phone Providers in Canada - we are considering this). Depending on your area, Cogeco is also an option, although equally as ripoff as Bell and Rogers.

Mobile: Bell (also owns Virgin Mobile) , Rogers (also owns Fido) , Telus (by far the best, I am with them; they also own Koodo)
Part-owned, yes, and those smaller ones use the parent company's network. Fido runs on Rogers' network, but a lot of Rogers' policies don't apply at Fido. Same with Virgin/Bell, and Koodo/Telus. Your post there makes it sound like it's really just Bell, Rogers, Telus, which is not the case. There are also other providers that are independent like PC Financial, 7Eleven, PetroCanada, and others that sell phone service plans. You need to do some research to see about some of the limitations (e.g., when Petro launched, the port that Gmail operated on was blocked, so you couldn't use gmail with Petro which was immediately a dealbreaker for me; not sure if that's still the case as I ended up going with Koodo).

IT's also worth noting that in SOME cases it can be cheaper to go with the bigger provider... my parents are with Cogeco. They have cable, internet, and home phone all in one bundle, and since they've been with Cogeco for so long they are on a reasonable plan. THey are going to look more seriously at changing when the next price hike happens, but right now their bundled plan isn't too bad all things considered.

Internet:
Bell
Rogers
------
Teksavvy
Start.ca
<other startup companies here>

Teksavvy, Start and the like piggyback off of Bell Fibe's network, basically offer the same service but much cheaper. Go with them if you can

HTH
Good summary otherwise, but again not 100% accurate. Internet you also have Cogeco. TekSavvy, it depends which service you get to decide whose network they use. For ADSL they borrow from Bell, but for cable internet they borrow from Rogers and Cogeco.

I generally agree TekSavvy is the way to go generally for internet.
Old Jun 16th 2014, 11:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any TV/Internet/Phone package advice please?

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
Telus is definitely available in Ontario, they have their own network here and everything. But, as you said further down, only for mobile, not for cable/internet, which is worth stating at the same time.

There are also internet TV providers, like VMedia (VMedia: Cable TV & Internet Service Provider Toronto/Ontario, IPTV & Home Phone Providers in Canada - we are considering this). Depending on your area, Cogeco is also an option, although equally as ripoff as Bell and Rogers.

Hm I didn't know about the internet TV - thanks

And yes, cogeco is available in some places, but generally the rule is that if its Rogers land, there is no cogeco, and if its cogeco land, there is no rogers. Why that is, I don't know, but it just is

Part-owned, yes, and those smaller ones use the parent company's network. Fido runs on Rogers' network, but a lot of Rogers' policies don't apply at Fido. Same with Virgin/Bell, and Koodo/Telus. Your post there makes it sound like it's really just Bell, Rogers, Telus, which is not the case.
Well, from personal experience/opinion, the plans are different, but customer service/policies are the same. The only difference is the price / plans. For some the big ones will have a better deal, for others the smaller ones. Depends on what you want.

There are also other providers that are independent like PC Financial,
7Eleven, PetroCanada, and others that sell phone service plans. You need to do some research to see about some of the limitations (e.g., when Petro launched, the port that Gmail operated on was blocked, so you couldn't use gmail with Petro which was immediately a dealbreaker for me; not sure if that's still the case as I ended up going with Koodo).
PC I know of, my grandma was on it before I ported her to Koodo prepaid, and my grandpa is still on it, they are OK... But petro and 711 I have always stayed away from, they just seem "too good to be true" you know? And yes, a little sketchy with the data / port blocking.

IT's also worth noting that in SOME cases it can be cheaper to go with the bigger provider... my parents are with Cogeco. They have cable, internet, and home phone all in one bundle, and since they've been with Cogeco for so long they are on a reasonable plan. THey are going to look more seriously at changing when the next price hike happens, but right now their bundled plan isn't too bad all things considered.
Exactly. Like I said above, depends on what your needs are.

Good summary otherwise, but again not 100% accurate. Internet you also have Cogeco. TekSavvy, it depends which service you get to decide whose network they use. For ADSL they borrow from Bell, but for cable internet they borrow from Rogers and Cogeco.

I generally agree TekSavvy is the way to go generally for internet.

Yeah I know TSI / start and the like borrow off both rogers and bell, but I didn't want to totally confuse people

I agree with Teksavvy or Start. Personally, I don't know anyone on TSI but hear so much good things about it, but we have a couple friends on Start.ca and they love it!