Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Any Social workers out there - even better if ontario based.

Old Jun 8th 2008, 8:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

London-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond repute
Default Any Social workers out there - even better if ontario based.

Hey All

Cheers

Rob
Old Jun 9th 2008, 3:33 pm
Just Joined

toffeegirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Any Social workers out there - even better if ontario based.

Yes! Before you commence with your job search you must have your qualifications evaluated by the Canadian Association of SW; then pending that, register with the Ontario College of SW and SSW, then register with the OASW - of course you will know all this! It is unlawful to call yourself a Social Worker in Ontario, unless you are registered with the OCSWSSW (similar to the GSCC). Depending when you qualified, you may have to take an additional module at Ryerson University; Masters in Social Work is valued more for internationally trained Social Workers; not sure about DipSW.

Best of luck!
Old Aug 13th 2008, 8:05 pm
Just Joined

cheddah22 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm a newly qualified social worker looking to emigrate in the next few years. I'm working in child protection at the moment and want to get 2 years experience here at least before I even start the process of getting my qualification converted etc. Luckily I did the MA so I think it will be a little easier. Toffeegirl...do you have any other advice? Is finding work easy enough?
Old Aug 13th 2008, 8:08 pm
Forum Regular

lowbo is a jewel in the roughlowbo is a jewel in the roughlowbo is a jewel in the roughlowbo is a jewel in the rough

hi

I too am a recently qualified (07) social worker , working in child protection, we are nearing the end of our process (had medicals on the 14th July though require some further tests). We are looking at going to nova scotia, i'd be really interested to hear how sw jobs compare in canada.

I also did the masters.

Thanks

Traci
Old Aug 16th 2008, 1:18 pm
Just Joined

toffeegirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lowbo
hi

I too am a recently qualified (07) social worker , working in child protection, we are nearing the end of our process (had medicals on the 14th July though require some further tests). We are looking at going to nova scotia, i'd be really interested to hear how sw jobs compare in canada.

I also did the masters.

Thanks

Traci
Congratulations! Unfortunately, I have no working knowledge of Nova Scotia; each Province has it's own regulation authority for Social Workers; try there first. You tend to need a couple of years post qualifying experience; but not always. If you wish to pursue child protection, try the Children's Aid website, they do have an ongoing recruitment for Internationally Trained Social Workers (but they work crazy hours and I guarantee you they will have more of a caseload than you do now). Once you have registered with your provincial regulatory body you will be given a password to access the social work job site - many jobs advertised daily. Get your resume down to two pages and write a generic (but tweak it to each individual organisation) letter detailing your knowledge and experience and why you would be the right person for the job; at interview, it depends on the organisation, but you will meet a board of about 3 people, have a chat, come back to have another chat at a later date and to wrangle out your contract and salary. Best of luck, I believe Nova Scotia is wonderful!
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 10:34 pm
Just Joined

vwgirl2008 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Everyone and social workers out there,

Just wondered as a qualified social worker how to get my qualifications verified for Canada??

Or is anyone going through this process?

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks sam xx
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 12:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

dingbat - calling dingbat !!

Actually - if you search her threads, she has given out tons of useful info on SW's over the months/years