Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Any settled plasterers out there???

Any settled plasterers out there???

Old Sep 23rd 2008, 7:00 pm
Just Joined

Haswells is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any settled plasterers out there???

I am considering a move to Canada and wondered if any plasterers could let me know how they find the work. I have been told that it is mostly Drywalling in Vancouver is this right? Would love to hear from fellow spreaders who can pass on any tips or information on the differences of the trade over in Canada. Any areas where there is still demand etc.
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 8:39 pm
Forum Regular

Katie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Any settled plasterers out there???

Hi,

I've just read your pm and was just this second going to get back to you. Sorry i've taken abit of time, I was feeling quite unwell when I last wrote a message to you.

In Canada there is mainly drywalling, Stucco and Venetian/Marmarino. If you're a qualified Plasterer, you should be covered for drywalling and it's easier which is a bonus !

At the moment from what I had researched you shouldn't have a problem in getting a job, as they are very much in demand, I have afew Co's/Contracting Co's I can send you which may help.

My partner has run his own business for 12yrs working as a Plasterer. He's enrolled in a Venetian Course which he was interested in doing whether we were going for the move or not, the finished wall looks pretty cool. You could take a short course in Venetian beforehand and if you're self employed you can claim back the cost.

From the Co's I spoke to in Canada, having Venetian, Stucco experience wasn't essential, but we thought it'll be good to take the Course anyhow. I was told by so many Co's in BC (including Vancouver Island) that so long as you can use a hawk and trowel and have the experience behind you there shouldn't be a problem.

The wage you mentioned in your last post seemed right in CAD. Low wage compared to here, though I guess it depends where you're from in the UK.

I've researched quite abit on Vancouver, places to rent, schooling etc, if you're interested in this info, i'll send some on by pm.

I'll also send you some Co's and names that may help you. You could even take my partners position if it's still available.

Hope this helps alittle.

Btw - I've just noticed you're from Devon, it's beautiful there - Why Canada or Vancouver even ?
It's funny, cos we're looking into some properties down in St Ives, Cornwall

Last edited by Katie76; Sep 23rd 2008 at 8:53 pm.