Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Any options for shipping less than a container?

Any options for shipping less than a container?

Old Sep 2nd 2009, 3:18 pm
Just Joined

MarkThompson is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any options for shipping less than a container?

I have a few items to ship (UK to Montreal) some home cinema kit (speakers and subwoofer), a couple of guitars, few keepsakes, absolutely nothing like a 20ft containers worth. It would probably fit in the boot of a hatchback (best reference I can come up with).

Everywhere I've looked caters for people either sending their entire house contents or just a few books, with nothing in between.

I can't seem to find anything that suits my needs. Any suggestions?
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 3:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

spaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Any options for shipping less than a container?

how about an international courier?

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...G=Search&meta=
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 3:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

ga1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nice

I am also trying to find the in-between. I only want to ship
- a couple of boxes of clothes (its time to get rid of those 'I might fit into these if I loose some weight' items)
- a few boxes of CD's, not sure how many is in each box but I would say at least a hundred or so
- two boxes of DVD's, again not sure how many exactly but in total probably somewhere between 100 - 150

Any one use Excess Baggage for this sort of thing? Ideally I don't want to have to collect it and may need it to be stored for a little while.

Also, do you always have to go to verify incoming items with customs? Nothing to hide, just thinking about the travelling back and forth.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 3:51 pm
Just Joined

MarkThompson is an unknown quantity at this point

This (whilst not suiting me) may suit your needs:

http://www.voovit.com/Int/Int_start.aspx
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 3:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

ga1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nice

Cheers, I'll take a look when I get home.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 4:10 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

We shipped a couple of pallets in a shared container with an international mover.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 4:12 pm
Just Joined

Brickie has a brilliant futureBrickie has a brilliant futureBrickie has a brilliant futureBrickie has a brilliant futureBrickie has a brilliant futureBrickie has a brilliant futureBrickie has a brilliant futureBrickie has a brilliant future

Also consider Air Canada Cargo. I was quoted £1.35 per kilo (inc all fuel surcharges, x-ray charges, war risk, handling charge etc) plus a £25 overall customs fee. This is rather good, when you consider AC will charge you £80 on line for excess baggage weighing 23kg. (£100 on the day) It means no waiting around 3-4 months for your stuff too.

A friend was quoted £662 for 35 boxes...although I don't know what size the boxes are.

If you can fill one of those big silver pallets they put on the plane, a ULD - Unit Load Device, which are approx 3.4 cybic mtrs depending on the aircraft type, they will give you a special rate. Thats about the boot size of a hatchback!

I do have a contact number for someone at AC Cargo I can pm you with if you wish.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 8:41 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

We used a shared container with Excess International - if its just a few boxes you can use their air freight arm - excess baggage!
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 2:36 am
BE Enthusiast

J-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond repute

We packed our stuff into wooden crates 1.5mtr long by .75mtr wide and high (boot of a hatch back) but we shipped 3 of them.

I had them picked up by a local Mr Man and his van with a tail lift and he took them to a depot near Dagenham (an hour from us) where www.shemaritime.com took charge...... They dealt with all the customs, charges etc and billed us before it left the uk. The crates were shipped to Montreal and then trucked to Winnipeg.

We had nothing to do until it arrived in Winnipeg and then we booked a man with a van (recommended by the Canadian haulier) to deliver them to our door. But we could have picked them up from the customs warehouse if we had a vehicle to do it with.

Most important ~ For us 500 GBP was well worth it. But pack your stuff well !! Email SHE ......... [email protected]

Worked for us
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 12:01 pm
Yorkshire Lass

Emmjay has much to be proud ofEmmjay has much to be proud ofEmmjay has much to be proud ofEmmjay has much to be proud ofEmmjay has much to be proud ofEmmjay has much to be proud ofEmmjay has much to be proud ofEmmjay has much to be proud ofEmmjay has much to be proud ofEmmjay has much to be proud ofEmmjay has much to be proud of

I am also looking into excess baggage, as i only have books, pictures, CDs, DVD,s and pots and pans, cutlery etc. I am not taking any big items like furniture, as i am going to buy this when i move over.

So any advice on excess baggage and whether there are storage options either with them or at Halifax Airport in NS would be much appreciated.

Emmjay
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 12:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

We shipped 42 boxes and a chair. No other furniture and used Atec International shipping and found their service to be great and goods arrived 6 weeks from pick-up and I did the packing and provided a content list.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 12:46 pm
Forum Regular

spaa will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by MarkThompson
I have a few items to ship (UK to Montreal) some home cinema kit (speakers and subwoofer), a couple of guitars, few keepsakes, absolutely nothing like a 20ft containers worth. It would probably fit in the boot of a hatchback (best reference I can come up with).

Everywhere I've looked caters for people either sending their entire house contents or just a few books, with nothing in between.

I can't seem to find anything that suits my needs. Any suggestions?
There are two options, FCL-full container load or depending on the luggage you have..you can choose later...bit expensive and take more time...
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 3:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

I had a look on-line at Excess Baggage and the quote didn't seem too bad but I need to get a better idea of how many boxes and the weight before I can really compare - I need a couple more weekends to be able to clear out and sort first