Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Any Nurses working in Burnaby?

Any Nurses working in Burnaby?

Old Feb 5th 2009, 9:42 am
Forum Regular

DESERTFOX is just really niceDESERTFOX is just really niceDESERTFOX is just really niceDESERTFOX is just really niceDESERTFOX is just really niceDESERTFOX is just really niceDESERTFOX is just really niceDESERTFOX is just really niceDESERTFOX is just really nice
Default Any Nurses working in Burnaby?

Hi guys,

I just want to know some information from nurses who is currently working in Burnaby or will be working in Burnaby. I hope that we could our experiences.

I am still on embryonic stage of my process. I had an interview a couple of days ago with Fraser Health and has been offered a job in Burnaby Hospital. I have already completed my registration with CRNBC and already eligible to write the exam. How long did your processing from start to finish. Your replies would greatly be appreciated. Many thanks.
Old Feb 9th 2009, 11:04 am
Forum Regular

DESERTFOX is just really niceDESERTFOX is just really niceDESERTFOX is just really niceDESERTFOX is just really niceDESERTFOX is just really niceDESERTFOX is just really niceDESERTFOX is just really niceDESERTFOX is just really niceDESERTFOX is just really nice
Default Re: Any Nurses working in Burnaby?

Are nurses wages in Canada better than in UK? I hope any UK nurse who's now in Canada would share their experience.

cheers
Old Feb 9th 2009, 11:43 am
BE Enthusiast

kmcguinness is a name known to allkmcguinness is a name known to allkmcguinness is a name known to allkmcguinness is a name known to allkmcguinness is a name known to allkmcguinness is a name known to allkmcguinness is a name known to allkmcguinness is a name known to allkmcguinness is a name known to allkmcguinness is a name known to allkmcguinness is a name known to all

Originally Posted by DESERTFOX
Are nurses wages in Canada better than in UK? I hope any UK nurse who's now in Canada would share their experience.

cheers
Hi again- ive replied in your other posting re nursing in vancouver- in terms of the wages- they seem better per hour than here in the uk.

you will probably have completed your 'step up salary' form for fraser health, my understanding you transfer across to an hourly rate depending upon your years expperience since qualifying...this has also been confirmed by a friend who is also employed by fraser health.

hope this helps
Old Feb 9th 2009, 3:35 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for your reply Kae. I can't fault fraser health so far, they have been excellent. I guess it was difficult to compare wages "like for like" as we are working and living in the countryside and moving to metropolitan Vancouver.

I have more than 10 years experience and was offered on the maximum of their salary range. But with rental accomodation more then $1,100/mo. and utilities (don't know yet how much on average?) i guess it won't be a huge difference.

Best wishes and good luck on your application as well.
Old Feb 9th 2009, 6:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your reply Kae. I can't fault fraser health so far, they have been excellent. I guess it was difficult to compare wages "like for like" as we are working and living in the countryside and moving to metropolitan Vancouver.

I have more than 10 years experience and was offered on the maximum of their salary range. But with rental accomodation more then $1,100/mo. and utilities (don't know yet how much on average?) i guess it won't be a huge difference.

Best wishes and good luck on your application as well.
The maximum rate is just the basic,there are other benefits added to the
basic wages like weekends,nightshifts,shift differentials,in charge,overtime,
degrees on nursing or specialities and stat holidays etc.

Good thing is that Fraser Health have other hospitals around Metro Vancouver
and outside Metro Vancouver.You can always apply for a transfer to suit
your personal lifestyle in future.

I like Burnaby ,in the summer we get our fresh produce from the farms
in South Burnaby.
Good luck with your decision.
Yoong
Old Feb 14th 2009, 3:48 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Yoong
The maximum rate is just the basic,there are other benefits added to the
basic wages like weekends,nightshifts,shift differentials,in charge,overtime,
degrees on nursing or specialities and stat holidays etc.

Good thing is that Fraser Health have other hospitals around Metro Vancouver
and outside Metro Vancouver.You can always apply for a transfer to suit
your personal lifestyle in future.

I like Burnaby ,in the summer we get our fresh produce from the farms
in South Burnaby.
Good luck with your decision.
Yoong
Thanks for that Yoong. Are you also a nurse by any chance? Don't know if you also go through fraser health but what are your experience like?
Old Feb 14th 2009, 5:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Yoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that Yoong. Are you also a nurse by any chance? Don't know if you also go through fraser health but what are your experience like?
I work at St.Paul's Hosp.(Providence Health) as an RN on the acute mental health unit for 28 yrs.Worked on the med/surg.areas in Alberta for 10 months before relocated to Vancouver -for the milder winters.

My experience is positive ,just got to get used to the different terminology on
medications and procedures.Lots of laughter among the staff and we love to snack at the nursing station.Education is greatly encouraged and some of the courses are paid by the employer including the hours attended and the cost of the course.

I only know an OT who works on the mental health unit in Burnaby General Hospital and she talks well of her job there.

Try to get the 12hr shift rotation,4 on and 5 off- sweet!!!
Old Feb 14th 2009, 9:21 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Yoong. I've got a job offer in critical care in BGH and on 12 hourly shifts. Wife also a nurse awaiting her job offer from fraser health. I hope not very long from now and off to Vancouver BC.
Old Feb 15th 2009, 3:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Well done and congratulations to you both.
My coworker from UK thinks that she is better off financially here
than in UK.She is the sole bread winner of the family ,with 3 teens and a stay at home husband.There is a hospital just 15mins from her house but she likes SPH and does not mind driving over 1 hr to Vancouver for work.

Desertfox,please feel free to PM if you need help.
Yoong
Old Feb 15th 2009, 5:36 pm
Forum Regular

Yoong thanks for the offer and I'm sure few questions will pop up along the way.
Old Feb 16th 2009, 4:05 am
Forum Regular

We are about to fill in the police checks form to be sent to CRNBC but unsure if it needs to be notarized. There is only one notary public in our area and he's charging £50 per document. I am wondering if there is another alternative?
Old Feb 16th 2009, 4:15 am
Forum Regular

CathynPaul has a spectacular aura aboutCathynPaul has a spectacular aura aboutCathynPaul has a spectacular aura about

Hi, just moved here in Sept work at Abbotsford wages much much better than the UK loads of overtime not bad when you get 5 days off Fraser health are brill I know Kae through this website we have become good mates can't wait for her to get out here fora glass or two we love it the sunset tonight near our house was awesome !!!!! you will love it ,wages and life are fab ,in fact don't worry to much about the money you will just enjoy it here ,I am sure ,take care cathy
Old Feb 16th 2009, 4:16 am
Forum Regular

CathynPaul has a spectacular aura aboutCathynPaul has a spectacular aura aboutCathynPaul has a spectacular aura about

I think any solicitor will do for notary of documents!
Old Feb 16th 2009, 8:42 am
BE Enthusiast

kmcguinness is a name known to allkmcguinness is a name known to allkmcguinness is a name known to allkmcguinness is a name known to allkmcguinness is a name known to allkmcguinness is a name known to allkmcguinness is a name known to allkmcguinness is a name known to allkmcguinness is a name known to allkmcguinness is a name known to allkmcguinness is a name known to all

Originally Posted by CathynPaul
Hi, just moved here in Sept work at Abbotsford wages much much better than the UK loads of overtime not bad when you get 5 days off Fraser health are brill I know Kae through this website we have become good mates can't wait for her to get out here fora glass or two we love it the sunset tonight near our house was awesome !!!!! you will love it ,wages and life are fab ,in fact don't worry to much about the money you will just enjoy it here ,I am sure ,take care cathy
awww cathy, thats so nice of you to say so.....you have been truly fantastic..in fact there have been times when i felt like i was stalking you!! but like you say fraser health have been fantastic, the wages are impressive too, in fact the whole information pack from them is very good, they are very supportive , you wouldnt get that degree of support in England of that i am sure...cant wait to get there...just waiting for police checks (hopefully get them back this week) then looking at concurrent LMO and TWP.

good luck to all

kae
Old Feb 18th 2009, 11:43 pm
Forum Regular

We've just sent our police checks today and still waiting for my LMO.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.