Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Any Londoners? London, Ontario that is!

Any Londoners? London, Ontario that is!

Old Jul 19th 2018, 6:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any Londoners? London, Ontario that is!

PS - the areas we really like in London and are focusing our search on are: Oak Ridge, Orchard Park, Byron, Stoney Acres and Stoney Creek. Some of the other areas are really nice, but very modern 'cookie cutter' estates which while not for us, may suit you well with young kids.
Old Jul 19th 2018, 6:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Some Cancon:

"How do you know that someone went to Queens?"

"They'll tell you"

Many years ago my brother arrived from London. He still had that mindset that, if it was evening, there would be a fight. We went to the pub with a crowd I knew and he happened to sit opposite the bloke who went to Queens. Part of the conversation went:

BWWTQ "what do you do for a job"

Brother "I'm a bricklayer"

BWWTQ "That's nothing, I went to Queens"

Brother finishes beer holds up glass "You what, mate?"

Bystander "He's asking you to repeat that comment"

BWWTQ something along the lines of "manual labour is beneath me, I went to Queens"

Brother breaks glass on head of BWWTQ. (downwards, not viciously)

Ever since then we someone is introduced and says that they went to Queens I expect them to be rich and clueless. Of course, I haven't met everyone who went to Queens but so far I'm comfortable with the assessment.
That's funny! The only place we went to in London that was 'interesting' was the Fox and Fiddle pub downtown. We nicknamed it 'Tourettes Tavern' after having a pint there and hearing a conversation by regulars with liberal use of the 'F' word (mainly by someone who was an 'estuary English' Brit I might add!). There are some 'interesting' characters on Dundas nearby as well!
Old Jul 19th 2018, 7:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick
PS - the areas we really like in London and are focusing our search on are: Oak Ridge, Orchard Park, Byron, Stoney Acres and Stoney Creek. Some of the other areas are really nice, but very modern 'cookie cutter' estates which while not for us, may suit you well with young kids.
Why are you leaving the 'Tick'?

I was in the Tick about about two weeks ago and had an interesting conversation with the bartender at the Mill Tavern about life in her home town of Flint, Michigan
Old Jul 19th 2018, 8:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
Why are you leaving the 'Tick'?

I was in the Tick about about two weeks ago and had an interesting conversation with the bartender at the Mill Tavern about life in her home town of Flint, Michigan
Manotick is a great little town, but too far from Ottawa to make spontaneous evening trips easy and too small and quiet a town for the OH (I like it, but I see what she is saying). Sometimes feels a bit snooty - either 'salt of the Earth' types (a la Mill Tavern) or so pleased with themselves they won't talk to you. The only person that we struck up a good conversation with at the open air pool was an ex-Brit who was a very interesting ex-RAF pilot!

We went to London to visit a relative and really liked it. Loads going on, very friendly people and easy to live in a leafy 'burb' but still only be an easy 6k bus or taxi ride to downtown.
Old Jul 23rd 2018, 12:07 am
Just Joined

Eshiels is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by EngCan
Hi All,

Just wondering if there is anyone here who lives in or has lived in London, Ontario?

We are looking to move across (visas etc held with me ‘landing’ in September) but wondered if people had any tips on where to live or where to avoid having only really seen the city centre. We have 2 kids (4 and 2) so would have schools in mind and I would be looking to work in the downtown area so also the commute (traffic!) to consider. Would probably be looking at a max budget of $325k when we buy.

Any advice / information from those in the know gratefully received.
I have lived in London since 2007. I live in the North West end. I like this area, it’s got lots of amenities and fairly close to some nice parks. Although it can be hellish trying to get downtown, there’s just so much traffic about and you can be sitting for ages going nowhere. When I first moved here I was told to avoid “east of Adelaide” although that isn’t really true. There are loads of nice areas in the East End ( although there are also some areas to avoid ) We rented for a year before we bought, it gave us a good idea of where we wanted to eventually live. Good luck with your move.
Old Jul 24th 2018, 12:18 am
Just Joined

Irishkevin is an unknown quantity at this point

Just saw your post. We have everything on the ready and will be relocating in September as well. From Londonderry to London...Ontario. (Got a job at Western (University)). Best of luck to you!!!
Old Jul 24th 2018, 1:54 am
BE Forum Addict

House in Manotick now conditionally sold. Will be checking areas out in London next week!
Old Jul 29th 2018, 7:14 am
Forum Regular

EngCan is an unknown quantity at this point

Great to see we are not the only ones looking at a move to London! Thanks for you comments and when I am over in September I think I will probably hire a car and have a drive around the areas we like the look of to see what they are like in person
Old Aug 7th 2018, 4:19 pm
Just Joined

NItoOntario is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,
My family and i moved to London 10 years ago from Northern Ireland with our kids aged 2 and 4. We rented for the first year and ended buying a house in the same area. We settled in North London in one of the newer sub divisions. All the schools in this area seem to be of the similar standard, i am sure you have checked www.tvdsb.ca for more detailed information on Schools. One disadvantage of living in North or West London is access to the 401, London traffic congestion has increased since we have been here. I would say location to your job should be a big consideration on where you live.
Good luck with the move.
Old Aug 7th 2018, 8:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

In London right now house-hunting. Good houses move VERY quickly (I mean go 'conditional' in 'days' after first listing). There are 'stickers' but these are for the usual reasons (too much, questionable position (neighbourhood or busy roads, mega-fixer-upper etc.).
Old Aug 8th 2018, 12:16 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

In London right now house-hunting. Good houses move VERY quickly (I mean go 'conditional' in 'days' after first listing). There are 'stickers' but these are for the usual reasons (too much, questionable position (neighbourhood or busy roads, mega-fixer-upper etc.).

Ugh, yes, I refused to even go and see any houses that were under conditional offers already.
Here's why
Good luck with your house hunting - hope you find something you like and can afford - and that it's a smooth purchase!
Old Aug 8th 2018, 1:11 am
BE Enthusiast

glendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
Surprised to see you are relocating to London from Ottowa. Any reason?
we spent a week in London last year on our first recce.
Would recommend Stoneybrook area near Hastings park.
handy for the shops at Masonville.
we had a really good realtor show us around.
Her name is Steph Martens and you can email her at [email protected]
Tell her Mark and Cherryl with the 4 dogs referred you and she will know who
Good luck.
We liked London, but reckon you need to spend more than $450k to get something nice.
Old Aug 8th 2018, 1:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by glendem4

Hi,
Surprised to see you are relocating to London from Ottowa. Any reason?
we spent a week in London last year on our first recce.
Would recommend Stoneybrook area near Hastings park.
handy for the shops at Masonville.
we had a really good realtor show us around.
Her name is Steph Martens and you can email her at [email protected]
Tell her Mark and Cherryl with the 4 dogs referred you and she will know who
Good luck.
We liked London, but reckon you need to spend more than $450k to get something nice.
Yep - agree with your area and pricing. We are $350k for a massive-doer-upper or $550 for an 'already-done'! Also now looking at some areas of Byron, esp near Byron 'Mountian' ski slope!!!! Already got a realtor, but thanks for the tip.

My lady found Manotick too small with very little going on and not terribly friendly and Ottawa downtown too distant and still surprisingly not a huge amount going on (maybe 'government' town??).

Loved London immediately, loads going on all the time and we can live in leafy suburbs with all the toys and yet be 5 - 6 km from the city centre on an easy Uber or bus ride (seemingly unlike many 'Canadians' we don't drink and drive!). Feels a lot more 'entrepreneurial' and friendly. Winters not quite as bad as Ottawa, yes load of snow, but that few degrees makes the difference. Also got a couple of rellies here which helps.
Old Aug 8th 2018, 1:35 am
BE Enthusiast

glendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond repute

Try and avoid anywhere near Wonderland road in the west as it is one of the worst roads for traffic in London.

anyththing north of Fanshawe Park East is a new build cookie cutter style home.

and forget anything east of Highbury.

We liked Byron and Westmont in the south west and Stoneybrook and Stoneycreek in the North, just a mile east of Masonville. Masonville mall is where you will do most of your shopping and there is a good sized cinema there.

Last edited by glendem4; Aug 8th 2018 at 1:38 am.
Old Aug 8th 2018, 1:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by glendem4
Try and avoid anywhere near Wonderland road in the west as it is one of the worst roads for traffic in London.

anyththing north of Fanshawe Park East is a new build cookie cutter style home.

and forget anything east of Highbury.

We liked Byron and Westmont in the south west and Stoneybrook and Stoneycreek in the North, just a mile east of Masonville. Masonville mall is where you will do most of your shopping and there is a good sized cinema there.

Thanks for that. Yep, we sussed that. We are deffo not the cookie cutter types. Probably a more mature 60 - 70 - 80's place in an established, leafy suburb. Front-runners are Stoney Brook, Orchard Park, Oakridge and Byron (parts of).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.