Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Any irish that have moved to canada??

Any irish that have moved to canada??

Old Jan 8th 2012, 1:58 pm
Forum Regular

Denhamgirl is a name known to allDenhamgirl is a name known to allDenhamgirl is a name known to allDenhamgirl is a name known to allDenhamgirl is a name known to allDenhamgirl is a name known to allDenhamgirl is a name known to allDenhamgirl is a name known to allDenhamgirl is a name known to allDenhamgirl is a name known to allDenhamgirl is a name known to all
Default Re: Any irish that have moved to canada??

I'm Dublin born and bred, but I lived in London (UK) for many years before coming to Canada. I am in Hamilton, Ontario and this location wasn't a 'choice' we made per se, but my husband (we met in London) is from the area and we stayed with his parents when we arrived. He then got a job here straight away and that's why we've stayed in this area. We moved around a couple of times to find the right spot for us and have finally settled in the west end of Hamilton and are quite happy here. Also, with the house prices being lower here we can afford to own a nice home and still have money left over for travelling etc. Unless you earn really well in Toronto, that can be difficult to achieve there.
Regardless of where you end up, Southern Ontario is a good choice because there's lots around us, particularly for when the visitors start arriving! Niagara region, New York state one way, Algonquin Park and even Montreal/Quebec in the other. We did a reccie to Calgary before we moved here and found that although the city itself was nice and the mountains stunning, outside of that there was just nothing, but it's horses for courses so to speak.
If I was asked to compare living in Canada to Ireland or the UK, I would say that it's much 'easier'. I was amazed when I first arrived how easy the day to day things such as grocery shopping (you can almost park at the front door) or getting petrol (no lineups) were and at how much house and space we could get for our money. Canadians I've met are by and large friendly and nice people, if just slightly dull. After 7 years now, that comfortable, easy life has become a bit boring and I miss the usual things about home - friends, family, nights out down the pub, going for a decent curry or being able to go into London when there were films or exhibitions on that I wanted to see or taking a drive out to the Cotswolds for a Sunday afternoon ramble. I also just miss the buzz of life there that I haven't really found here. Now that we have the usual financial committments (car loans, mortgage etc.) it's not easy to just pack up and head home, but if that weren't the case, I probably would in all honesty. I don't dislike Canada at all and wouldn't want to get into the typical slanging match stuff that takes place on this site, but I haven't settled here as much as I'd have liked and perhaps a move back to the UK might be in our future but for now we're just making the most of what we do enjoy here.
Good luck with your move and I hope you like it here!
Old Jan 8th 2012, 4:51 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Denhamgirl
After 7 years now, that comfortable, easy life has become a bit boring and I miss the usual things about home - friends, family, nights out down the pub,
I hear ya Denham.

Its like giving up smoking. Once its gone and people stop offering you fags you think, ooh i'd love a fag.
Old Jan 8th 2012, 6:27 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Londonuck
I hear ya Denham.

Its like giving up smoking. Once its gone and people stop offering you fags you think, ooh i'd love a fag.
You have to be careful saying that in Canada as it can mean something very different. Also, don't offer to lay the table.
Old Jan 9th 2012, 3:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

oopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
You have to be careful saying that in Canada as it can mean something very different. Also, don't offer to lay the table.
Priceless Oink, priceless!