Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

any electricains out there know how to wire a L14 socket

any electricains out there know how to wire a L14 socket

Old Dec 18th 2008, 12:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Canada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud of
Default any electricains out there know how to wire a L14 socket

hi

does anyone know how to wire a L14 generator socket, i need to know what they mean by HOT??
ground ok
neutral ok
Hot (whats this?) is it the red wire or the black

thank you

paul
Old Dec 18th 2008, 12:43 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: any electricains out there know how to wire a L14 socket

Originally Posted by Canada Dreams
hi

does anyone know how to wire a L14 generator socket, i need to know what they mean by HOT??
ground ok
neutral ok

thank you

paul
This is my understanding, but I do bring in a electrician to do the work for us.

Both red and black can be the hot wire (live). Is it a 4 pin or three pin? If it's a 4 pin the ground is green, the neutral is white (usually silver terminal) and hot is the black wire and red wire and it does not matter which way round they go, so long as its on a hot terminal.

Last edited by Aviator; Dec 18th 2008 at 1:21 am.
Old Dec 18th 2008, 12:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Canada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud of

yes its a 4 pin plug, that was what i was thinking, but was not sure, many thanks for that, if this is wrong maybe someone could let us know
Old Dec 18th 2008, 2:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Canada Dreams
hi

ground ok
neutral ok

thank you

paul
A little more information would be helpful, but some basics:

In North America, typical residential service is two 110-120 volt live conductors that are 180 degrees out of phase, and a neutral conductor. Ground is local to the residence and is usually a bare copper conductor. The live (hot) conductors are black and/or red, the neutral is white. Pairing either of the hots to neutral gives you 110-120 volts; pairing the two hots gives you 220-240 volts.

Use a circuit tester to make sure.

Note: I am not an electrician, just an advanced DIY homeowner. If you aren't 100% sure of what you're doing, hire a licensed electrician.
Old Dec 18th 2008, 3:34 am

moondevil will become famous soon enoughmoondevil will become famous soon enough

just asked the OH for you, although he is not red seal yet

right red and black are HOT...this means they are live
white is neutral
bare/green is earth.............this goes to the big pin

Hope that helps
Old Dec 18th 2008, 2:16 pm
No time for muppets!

Mikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Bill_S
A little more information would be helpful, but some basics:

In North America, typical residential service is two 110-120 volt live conductors that are 180 degrees out of phase, and a neutral conductor. Ground is local to the residence and is usually a bare copper conductor. The live (hot) conductors are black and/or red, the neutral is white. Pairing either of the hots to neutral gives you 110-120 volts; pairing the two hots gives you 220-240 volts.

Use a circuit tester to make sure.

Note: I am not an electrician, just an advanced DIY homeowner. If you aren't 100% sure of what you're doing, hire a licensed electrician.
I am an Electrician - the above is correct, both Black and Red wires here are classed as Hot (Live), Look at the name plate on the generator, I assume its a 220V supply? If so then it would need both hot wires (Red and Black) to 2 seperate breakers on the panel along with neutral and ground.

As the poster above says if you arent 100% sure hire an Electrician, for the 80-100 bucks an hr it will cost you its worth it.
Old Dec 18th 2008, 2:19 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mikey B
I am an Electrician - the above is correct, both Black and Red wires here are classed as Hot (Live), Look at the name plate on the generator, I assume its a 220V supply? If so then it would need both hot wires (Red and Black) to 2 seperate breakers on the panel along with neutral and ground.

As the poster above says if you arent 100% sure hire an Electrician, for the 80-100 bucks an hr it will cost you its worth it.
Ah, good. An electrician online. A bit of advice please.

We're going away for ten days over Christmas. I have become rather sensitive to water-related nasties and do not like the idea of leaving the system active while we are away. I'm thinking the best idea is to turn it off and drain it. What do I do with the water heater (electric). Simply turn it off at the board? Empty it? Partially empty it?
Old Dec 18th 2008, 2:40 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Souvenir

We're going away for ten days over Christmas. I have become rather sensitive to water-related nasties and do not like the idea of leaving the system active while we are away. I'm thinking the best idea is to turn it off and drain it. What do I do with the water heater (electric). Simply turn it off at the board? Empty it? Partially empty it?
Not an electrician, nor do I own an electric hot water tank.

Does the thermostat have a holiday setting?

Personally these days we turn off the pilot light on ours (same as turning off at the panel). We also turn off all water at the main shut off, if anyone is coming in to water plants we make sure adequate water is in a five gallon plastic bucket kept in the bath tub.

We also turn down household thermostat to about 50F

Not long now.
Old Dec 18th 2008, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Not an electrician, nor do I own an electric hot water tank. Not an encouraging start.

Does the thermostat have a holiday setting? Nope.

Personally these days we turn off the pilot light on ours (same as turning off at the panel). We also turn off all water at the main shut off, if anyone is coming in to water plants we make sure adequate water is in a five gallon plastic bucket kept in the bath tub. I don't think electric water heaters have pilot lights.

We also turn down household thermostat to about 50F

Not long now.
Thanks for the advice, though.
Old Dec 18th 2008, 6:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

Here's some info from a manufacturer:

http://www.giantinc.com/tech-data/ma..._pou_elect.pdf

See page 11
Old Dec 18th 2008, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by neill
Here's some info from a manufacturer:

http://www.giantinc.com/tech-data/ma..._pou_elect.pdf

See page 11
Merci.
Old Dec 18th 2008, 7:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

Merci.
de rien
Old Dec 18th 2008, 10:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

thank you
Old Dec 19th 2008, 1:03 am
No time for muppets!

Mikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of light

Ive always left them while on vacation, I dont care about the wasted energy for 2 weeks while Im away as its minimal and the risk of damaging the house is minimal and hence what insurance is for anyway (after all your just as likely to get struck by lightning) and weigh that up against the hassle of turning it off and draining it - best just to leave it but thats me - I hate hassle!

If you do wonna turn it of then its just as the guide says on the nice link provided.
Old Dec 19th 2008, 1:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mikey B

Thanks for the assurance, Mikey.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.