Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Any chance of an RN job with no nights BC/Alberta

Any chance of an RN job with no nights BC/Alberta

Old Dec 8th 2007, 9:29 pm
Forum Regular

manchesterchick has a brilliant futuremanchesterchick has a brilliant futuremanchesterchick has a brilliant futuremanchesterchick has a brilliant futuremanchesterchick has a brilliant futuremanchesterchick has a brilliant futuremanchesterchick has a brilliant futuremanchesterchick has a brilliant future
Wink Any chance of an RN job with no nights BC/Alberta

Hi,
just testing the water here a little!
Just passed the Rn exam in Oct (BC), and OH , me and little boy are toying between Alberta or BC. Credentials are being assessed by CARNA. Also independently applying for PR(commenced JULY 05)
Don't mean to sound too picky, but are there ever any clinic jobs, day surgery or ANYTHING without nights for a British Rn?
I have not done nights for years and feel they are incompatible with life
however if this is the ONLY way to secure our dream life then so be it.
I have had some encouraging information from a few people in Alberta up to now, any more from BC or Alberta wold make my day
Old Dec 8th 2007, 9:42 pm
Worth the wait...

wiggs1034 is a jewel in the roughwiggs1034 is a jewel in the roughwiggs1034 is a jewel in the roughwiggs1034 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Any chance of an RN job with no nights BC/Alberta

Originally Posted by manchesterchick
Hi,
just testing the water here a little!
Just passed the Rn exam in Oct (BC), and OH , me and little boy are toying between Alberta or BC. Credentials are being assessed by CARNA. Also independently applying for PR(commenced JULY 05)
Don't mean to sound too picky, but are there ever any clinic jobs, day surgery or ANYTHING without nights for a British Rn?
I have not done nights for years and feel they are incompatible with life
however if this is the ONLY way to secure our dream life then so be it.
I have had some encouraging information from a few people in Alberta up to now, any more from BC or Alberta wold make my day
Yes.

My OH started 12 hous shifts approx 9 months ago in Emergency Room, with alternating nights and days. She managed to swap 75% of her nights with another nurse who preferred nights to days.

However she is just swappng to a part time line of 0.51 of just 8 hour day shifts, but plans to top up to 0.8 or so with extra day shifts on a casual basis.

I looked at the shift patterns for all the RN's in her department, and several lines had no nights at all. It is all about finding the right line (shift pattern) as there are so many different sorts
Old Dec 8th 2007, 9:59 pm
Forum Regular

manchesterchick has a brilliant futuremanchesterchick has a brilliant futuremanchesterchick has a brilliant futuremanchesterchick has a brilliant futuremanchesterchick has a brilliant futuremanchesterchick has a brilliant futuremanchesterchick has a brilliant futuremanchesterchick has a brilliant future

Thanks for that...sounds encouraging
Old Dec 9th 2007, 12:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Yoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond repute

Community nursing and outpatients .No nights, off on weekends and
statutory holidays.
Yoong
Old Dec 9th 2007, 9:31 am
Forum Regular

sounds great but do you have to have you degree in community nursing?
Every time I enquire about community I keep being told that those posts go to Canadian nurses and that there is not such a shortage of them.
Do you work in community?
I currently work in a walk in centre in uk, but in Canada I have been told that before you work in one over there you need your masters as Advance Nurse Practioner, wich I don't have!!
Would you recommend just contacting various health authoritys individually to try my luck?
Cheers
Old Dec 9th 2007, 12:19 pm
Forum Regular

kazchug is just really nicekazchug is just really nicekazchug is just really nicekazchug is just really nicekazchug is just really nicekazchug is just really nicekazchug is just really nicekazchug is just really nicekazchug is just really nice

I have recently secured a community job in Vancouver without a degree. I am presently a community nurse here in UK. I applied through Vancouver Coastal Health, at first they emailed and said there were no community jobs available then I was invited to an interview in London, then interviewed over the phone by head of community nursing then finally interviewed again over the phone by a team in Richmond who offered me a job.
Old Dec 9th 2007, 5:34 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for that, I shallkeep them in mind. The only thing although I work in a walk in centre I don't think that Canada class that as community work. I shall have to make further enquiries
Cheers
Old Dec 9th 2007, 5:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond repute

You are right,certain community nursing positions required degrees.
and masters.But lately ,I have noticed that they are hiring community
nurses for general and mental health nursing without degrees.
I think the same goes for Alberta.

I work in a mental health unit, at St.Pauls in Vancouver.
I love my 12hrs 2day and 2nights rotation with 5 days off.

Here are the links re-BC and AB nursing jobs.
http://www.healthmatchbc.org/hmbc_nurses.asp?pageid=619

http://www.canadianrn.com/jobmart/abjobs.htm

Good luck
Yoong
Old Dec 10th 2007, 2:15 pm
Forum Regular

I do have a degree in nursing but it is not community specific. I shall try the links.
Another question, which may seem stupid....Can you work as a psych nurse if you have the Rn exam, or is there a separate exam and training for psych?
Cheers
Old Dec 10th 2007, 7:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by manchesterchick
I do have a degree in nursing but it is not community specific. I shall try the links.
Another question, which may seem stupid....Can you work as a psych nurse if you have the Rn exam, or is there a separate exam and training for psych?
Cheers
You can work in Psych. as an RN,no need take the RPN exams.I decided to
be an RN instead of RPN because of the flexibility.Whereas RPN,has to
do the RN course and take the CRNE to work in general meds.

Good enough,you have a degree in nursing,you will be accepted for
community nursing with no problem. There are orientation and
perceptorship programs to help the newbies. You will get extra
for your degree here and in AB. I already checked that out from the union
collective agreements with the employers on both provinces.

Just to let you know that community nurses earn less that nurses
working in the hospitals. They lose pay on shift differentials,in charge pay,
stat holiday pay,overtime and weekends pay.
I was told the difference is around $10k that is in BC.
Our ER is trying to attract RNs to work Fri,Sat and Sun
12hrs nights and get paid night off on Mon. for 12hrs.
Yoong

Last edited by Yoong; Dec 10th 2007 at 7:25 pm.
Old Dec 13th 2007, 11:06 pm
Forum Regular

that is very interesting news I shall try and stick to my guns about what I want, and hopefully it will pay of, The money is not a major deal to us,
cheers!
Old Dec 14th 2007, 9:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

A friend of mine,called just now to let me know that she got a job with the
Pitts Meadow/Maple Ridge Mental Heath Team.(Fraser Health)
Working hours 8.30 am - 4.30pm,flexible time,one can start at 9am-5pm,
free parking and 1 hr. lunch.
10-12 patients load and 2 nurses to attend to high risk clients.
Strong Team , flexible and willing to mentor newbies.
She is also UK trained, the office is just 5 mins, from her house
at Pitt Meadows.She is so excited now,we'll see when she starts
working with them.
I also heard good things about Langley Mental Health Team,some friends
are working with the team and like it there.
Best Regards,
Yoong
Old Dec 15th 2007, 6:57 pm
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Any chance of an RN job with no nights BC/Alberta

sounds great. Let me know if any jobs come up!!
Cheers
Old Dec 15th 2007, 7:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

boxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yoong
A friend of mine,called just now to let me know that she got a job with the
Pitts Meadow/Maple Ridge Mental Heath Team.(Fraser Health)
Working hours 8.30 am - 4.30pm,flexible time,one can start at 9am-5pm,
free parking and 1 hr. lunch.
10-12 patients load and 2 nurses to attend to high risk clients.
Strong Team , flexible and willing to mentor newbies.
She is also UK trained, the office is just 5 mins, from her house
at Pitt Meadows.She is so excited now,we'll see when she starts
working with them.
I also heard good things about Langley Mental Health Team,some friends
are working with the team and like it there.
Best Regards,
Yoong
10 - 12 patients
2 nurses for High Risk Clients

I think I'll be in heaven

Sharon
Old Dec 16th 2007, 10:12 am
Forum Regular

And just to clarify once again, you can still be Rn adult, holding the crne to start on the psych team?
I really must pursue this further
Regards
Manchesterchick

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.