Reload this Page >

Any Brits living in Okotoks??

Any Brits living in Okotoks??

Old Dec 18th 2010, 7:04 am
Just Joined

molesey will become famous soon enough
Default Any Brits living in Okotoks??

Hi,
I was just wondering if there are any Brits that have moved to Okotoks , or surrounding suburbs??
A very good friend of mine and her Family have recently left the U.K and moved to Okotoks, Alberta. She is finding being away from Family and Friends very difficult and doesn't know where to go to make new Friends. I was wondering if anyone can suggest any good clubs or groups that her and her Family could join, so that they can expand their social lives.
Thanks,
Molesey.
Old Dec 18th 2010, 1:28 pm
Forum Regular

Kokanee is just really niceKokanee is just really niceKokanee is just really niceKokanee is just really niceKokanee is just really niceKokanee is just really niceKokanee is just really niceKokanee is just really niceKokanee is just really nice
Default Re: Any Brits living in Okotoks??

Originally Posted by molesey
Hi,
I was just wondering if there are any Brits that have moved to Okotoks , or surrounding suburbs??
A very good friend of mine and her Family have recently left the U.K and moved to Okotoks, Alberta. She is finding being away from Family and Friends very difficult and doesn't know where to go to make new Friends. I was wondering if anyone can suggest any good clubs or groups that her and her Family could join, so that they can expand their social lives.
Thanks,
Molesey.
I live in South Calgary - the locals refer to okotoks as little england. no doubt many will be along soon
Old Dec 18th 2010, 2:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

There are hundreds. Tell your friend to hang out in a few of the stores for 10 minutes and just listen around her

OK - Edit - will try not to sound so flippant. If she has kids and they are now in school, I guarantee there will be a few Brits in each class. That's the starting point to meet some fellow Britons.

What ages are her children? There are quite a few members on this board who live down that way and hopefully some will come on to this thread and give you a heads up on any meet-ups or social gatherings.

Last edited by ann m; Dec 18th 2010 at 2:34 pm.
Old Dec 18th 2010, 3:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

If she walks outside of her house, she will likely bump into a Brit.
Old Dec 18th 2010, 6:43 pm
Banned

Okotokshometeam is an unknown quantity at this point

I sell homes in Okotoks and about 40% of my clients are European. There are alot of British people in Okotoks. Your friend should not have a difficult time meeting people here. Everyone is quite friendly and there are numerous activities to get involved in which is the best way to meet new people.
Old Dec 19th 2010, 6:36 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

I have been up about 2-3 days a week in Calgary recently working with the Calgary Police. I was chatting to one of their polygraph testers who told me 250 Brits were hired over teh past few years. Many apparently live in Okotooks. He said on some shifts, most of the radio calls are Brit accents!
Old Dec 21st 2010, 12:13 am
BE Enthusiast

debbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of light

We have ex-pat friends who are currently living in Okotoks and planning to move somewhere more remote to get away from the the Brits...

Um, I'm not quite sure what to suggest really... leave the house maybe? It's difficult to find 'instant friends' to replace those you have nurtured over many years, but there are sooooo many ex-pats in Okotoks that she is bound to bump into someone she clicks with - what does she enjoy? Start making playdates for the kids, making mince pies and delivering them to the neighbours, Christmas drinks? Winter is always trickier - summer it is easy enough to invite a few kids and parents/ work colleagues round for an informal BBQ and see what happens - winter has to be a bit more organised!

Is she working/ volunteering? Volunteering is always a good place to start if she isn't meeting people through work/ at the school gates. Plenty of opportunities.
Old Dec 21st 2010, 1:20 am
Just Joined

molesey will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: Any Brits living in Okotoks??

Thanks for all of the advice and tips. I shall pass all of this onto my Friend, or what might be better is for her to join British expats and she can meet new friends this way.