Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Any Accountants in Practice?

Any Accountants in Practice?

Old Nov 2nd 2009, 10:46 am
Forum Regular

pusky123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any Accountants in Practice?

Any accountants who made the transition to Canada out there?

If so could you advise what the preferred tax software and practice software packages are?

Also, is it possible to practice as a book-keeper, rather than as an accountant?

I'm ACCA and with a bit of studying could get CGA, but still wouldnt have a practicing certificate. Any advice gratefully received.
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 10:56 am
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any Accountants in Practice?

Originally Posted by pusky123

If so could you advise what the preferred tax software and practice software packages are?

Also, is it possible to practice as a book-keeper, rather than as an accountant?

I'm ACCA and with a bit of studying could get CGA, but still wouldnt have a practicing certificate. Any advice gratefully received.
There are but you'll have to wait a few hours. I think they're all out west and thus still asleep.
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 3:37 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any Accountants in Practice?

Originally Posted by pusky123

For tax it is Profile (from Intuit) and for working papers/financial statements Caseware. There are others but these are the de-facto standard.

You can set up a bookkeeping business. In the Vancouver area the top rate you can charge is about $45 an hour for an experienced, skilled and quick person. If you don't want to get a Canadian designation you can set up a "management services" business and offer various accounting, tax and financial statement compilation work. You can't officially call yourself an accountant or offer assurance services.

The conversion from ACCA to CGA is pretty easy - you can do it in a weekend. There is certainly a cachet in having a Canadian designation and it is much easier to gain the confidence of potential clients. The downside is that you have to play by the CGA's rules if you set up in practice.

The CGA do have a program for members who want to start up in public practice but don't have the necessary experience. I will PM you with the details.