Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Another question about SOWP

Another question about SOWP

Old Jun 2nd 2009, 5:26 am
Forum Regular

drumhellerbound is a name known to alldrumhellerbound is a name known to alldrumhellerbound is a name known to alldrumhellerbound is a name known to alldrumhellerbound is a name known to alldrumhellerbound is a name known to alldrumhellerbound is a name known to alldrumhellerbound is a name known to alldrumhellerbound is a name known to alldrumhellerbound is a name known to alldrumhellerbound is a name known to all
Default Another question about SOWP

So ok, I have one of those (SOWP) and I approached the local hospital today to do volunteering work. The person I spoke to asked me whether I was allowed to work, I told them I had an SOWP and also I mentioned I had a valid Police check as I realise they needed me to have one to be able to work there, which she seemed happy with...I am however a bit unsure whether I can actually work there as I have read before/been told you couldn't work in schools or hospitals with an SOWP (without a medical)...does anyone know the exact position on this and also whose responsibility it is to ensure I am "legal"? (although it's only volunteering, the fact that she asked me if I was legal to work there threw me)

Hope someone can shed some light on the matter!

Last edited by drumhellerbound; Jun 2nd 2009 at 5:28 am.
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 5:57 am
Forum Regular

kirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to all
Default Re: Another question about SOWP

it says on the permit

mine says not allowed to work in child care primary or secondary school and health service.
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 11:02 am

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by drumhellerbound
So ok, I have one of those (SOWP) and I approached the local hospital today to do volunteering work. The person I spoke to asked me whether I was allowed to work, I told them I had an SOWP and also I mentioned I had a valid Police check as I realise they needed me to have one to be able to work there, which she seemed happy with...I am however a bit unsure whether I can actually work there as I have read before/been told you couldn't work in schools or hospitals with an SOWP (without a medical)...does anyone know the exact position on this and also whose responsibility it is to ensure I am "legal"? (although it's only volunteering, the fact that she asked me if I was legal to work there threw me)

Hope someone can shed some light on the matter!
I seem to recall a discussion about this before - you can not WORK in a hospital/school etc but you can VOLUNTEER. Am sure someone will be along to confirm/rubbish this claim soon!
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 11:25 am
Nova Scotia

Bellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond repute

I was in the same position I too had an open WP, but couldn't work in healthcare, child care etc until I had condition 3 removed from the WP after a medical. I had the medical done in January and then they removed the conditions, can't remember how long it took, but I think it was about a month in total. Hope this help, good luck
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 3:51 pm
Forum Regular

drumhellerbound is a name known to alldrumhellerbound is a name known to alldrumhellerbound is a name known to alldrumhellerbound is a name known to alldrumhellerbound is a name known to alldrumhellerbound is a name known to alldrumhellerbound is a name known to alldrumhellerbound is a name known to alldrumhellerbound is a name known to alldrumhellerbound is a name known to alldrumhellerbound is a name known to all

Thanks for your replies. I've tried to look up the previous threads again about this but cannot seem to find a straight answer.

When we arrived, I asked the immigration officer whether I could work in a school, as I am into IT Support and had heard there had been a job advertised some time back to provide IT Support in a school and she said I could as long as I didn't work directly with children. Although I have checked my work permit again and there is no condition 3 - I only have two conditions on there, one saying I can't study and one saying I must leave after the 2 years - nothing about working in healthcare or schools - is that normal? I had a police check done for the SOWP application, would that have made a difference to the conditions?

Anyone knows exactly what the medical is for? ie why would it make a difference whether employed or volunteering?

Finally would it be up to them to know whether I can work there or is it my responsibility?

Thanks again!
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 4:39 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your replies. I've tried to look up the previous threads again about this but cannot seem to find a straight answer.

When we arrived, I asked the immigration officer whether I could work in a school, as I am into IT Support and had heard there had been a job advertised some time back to provide IT Support in a school and she said I could as long as I didn't work directly with children. Although I have checked my work permit again and there is no condition 3 - I only have two conditions on there, one saying I can't study and one saying I must leave after the 2 years - nothing about working in healthcare or schools - is that normal? I had a police check done for the SOWP application, would that have made a difference to the conditions?

Anyone knows exactly what the medical is for? ie why would it make a difference whether employed or volunteering?

Finally would it be up to them to know whether I can work there or is it my responsibility?

Thanks again!
Having a police check would not make a difference. The point of a having a medical is to show you have no infectious disease to pass onto the children/ill people you may come into contact with if you worked with kids or in healthcare.

It sounds like they missed off the third part of your SOWP for some reason. I would just count yourself lucky and forget about it!
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 4:43 pm
Forum Regular

I was just thinking that...fab, a mistake that goes in my favour
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 5:28 pm

I was just thinking that...fab, a mistake that goes in my favour
Yeah it doesn't happen very often! If they chase you up on it - play dumb and pretend you had no idea there even could be a clause 3 on a SOWP!