Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Another opportunity

Another opportunity

Old Mar 8th 2006, 2:32 pm
AntiWinge Freedom fighter

Bleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another opportunity

Originally Posted by Tangram
Following my 'so close and yet so far' experience in London, Ontario before Christmas, I have had another contact from a company in Dartmouth Nova Scotia for a position.

They have asked me my salary expectations as they liked the strong Resume. As I have done my working out previously on Ontario with a small $70k max mortgage ( $300k house ), I don't know what to tell them re the salary. I assume I can survive ( or live comfortably ) on less in NS than Ontario but in contrast to being told $50/60k in Ontario, would less be ok in NS. As the position in Ontario was offering $75k, I was thinking of going for the $55 - $60k mark for this one....

Any thoughts would be appreciated
Nice one mate! Sorry I can't help you with the salary thing. The whole name a salary thing is so different to what we're used to. But good luck again and hope someone call give you some pointers of what to say.
Old Mar 8th 2006, 2:55 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bleech
Nice one mate! Sorry I can't help you with the salary thing. The whole name a salary thing is so different to what we're used to. But good luck again and hope someone call give you some pointers of what to say.
Thanks mate. Just had an email from the VP asking me to call them in my lunch hour....as it's already 4 pm here I resisted the temptation to point out the world revolves anti-clockwise but have suggested arranging a convenient time to discuss whatever they want to discuss.
Old Mar 8th 2006, 2:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really nice

Hi Paul

That's great news. As you know, we looked at NS and thought it was very beautiful. The only thing I would consider is buying straight away rather than renting as we found properties very expensive to rent in NS although cheaper to buy! I'm not sure why - we were surprised by this. Just something to keep in mind. Good luck - really hope it works out.
Old Mar 8th 2006, 3:05 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Iank about first to name number loses .... All the advice seems to be not to get drawn into laying down a figure to start with.

They know what the job is that they are wanting you to do, so they should come up with a fair salary for that job!

Whether you then decide to accept what they offer, or wish to negotiate (or walk away) is then up to you.

Good Luck
Old Mar 8th 2006, 3:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Woodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond repute

As I posted on your thread on the immi forum, Good Luck!!!!!

I really hope things come right this time. You never know, the experience you gained from the Ontario job contact may hold you in good stead for this one.

Take care.

PS Wise words from Iain.
Old Mar 9th 2006, 6:57 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately they wanted me to start in 2 weeks time - I don't think they realised that a work permit would be required, although I pointed out my immigration timeframe to them in the covering letter

dum dum dum .... another one bites the dust .......
Old Mar 9th 2006, 9:58 pm
Glasgow Rangers

Voyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
Unfortunately they wanted me to start in 2 weeks time - I don't think they realised that a work permit would be required, although I pointed out my immigration timeframe to them in the covering letter

dum dum dum .... another one bites the dust .......
Paul not to worry !!!

You sound as if you are switched on and know exactly what you want, so stick in there and you will find your ideal job, or it will find you

Bummer about the job in NS

Och well something will turn up

Eddie