Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Another new starter in NS

Another new starter in NS

Old Nov 7th 2011, 5:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

heading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to all
Default Another new starter in NS

We have been here six weeks now
We got fed up with waiting for our FSW to be processed, 17 months have passed since our pack was received in London
Anyway we hopped on the first available flight and made our commitment to staying here amid a lot of excitement
my OH sorted himself a job offer with the first company he approached, we are waiting for LMO. there has been a bit of a delay with the advertising side of things as the employer thought that advertising on their own website was sufficient...it wasn't! so now we are waiting for the ad to appear on jobbank (apparently this is the only acceptable advertising for LMO)

So in between we have rented an apartment, bought a car, bought snow tires, surrendered our uk licenses and got new shiny Nova Scotian ones, got ripped off by the first car insurance company ($2600), got rescued by the second company ($900), still waiting for the $800 refund from the 1st insurance!
We have met some very nice people since we arrived, our network is expanding all the time. For anyone wondering why you don't get replies to your CV's sent from the UK? really its more about who you know, so get networking before you get here, you never know where it will lead.
My OH is a member of a large organisation and he has visited his local meeting groups who have made him very welcome and we even got invited to Thanksgiving Dinner with one of them.

Once OH has his TWP I will apply for SOWP and get out there and join the Canadian work force too.

Thanks to those of you who helped make it possible for us - you know who you are

Sharon
Old Nov 7th 2011, 6:04 pm
Pissy Mare

Location: Previously Hertfordshire, now in Chester Basin, Nova Scotia :)
Stonedog has much to be proud ofStonedog has much to be proud ofStonedog has much to be proud ofStonedog has much to be proud ofStonedog has much to be proud ofStonedog has much to be proud ofStonedog has much to be proud ofStonedog has much to be proud ofStonedog has much to be proud ofStonedog has much to be proud ofStonedog has much to be proud of
Default Re: Another new starter in NS

Welcome to the South Shore
Old Nov 7th 2011, 7:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

I can't really say Welcome as I have only been here about 3 weeks more than you (25th Aug)!!
We're a little bit further south than you in Yarmouth so if you ever are in exploring mode and happen to be wandering this way give us a shout.
I found a job about 3 weeks after I got here. I'm the Admin assistant for the local Chamber of Commerce. It might not pay what I was getting back in the UK but I'm enjoying myself and meeting so many different people.
Good luck with everything
Old Nov 7th 2011, 8:07 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to Nova Scotia (even though I'm not there at the moment). I hope everything works out well for you.
Old Nov 7th 2011, 8:26 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Thats a big chance to take without even knowing what the pre requisites for an LMO are.

I wish you all the luck in the world, but what will you do if the LMO is declined?
Old Nov 7th 2011, 8:41 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by heading-west
We have been here six weeks now
We got fed up with waiting for our FSW to be processed, 17 months have passed since our pack was received in London
Anyway we hopped on the first available flight and made our commitment to staying here amid a lot of excitement
my OH sorted himself a job offer with the first company he approached, we are waiting for LMO. there has been a bit of a delay with the advertising side of things as the employer thought that advertising on their own website was sufficient...it wasn't! so now we are waiting for the ad to appear on jobbank (apparently this is the only acceptable advertising for LMO)

So in between we have rented an apartment, bought a car, bought snow tires, surrendered our uk licenses and got new shiny Nova Scotian ones, got ripped off by the first car insurance company ($2600), got rescued by the second company ($900), still waiting for the $800 refund from the 1st insurance!
We have met some very nice people since we arrived, our network is expanding all the time. For anyone wondering why you don't get replies to your CV's sent from the UK? really its more about who you know, so get networking before you get here, you never know where it will lead.
My OH is a member of a large organisation and he has visited his local meeting groups who have made him very welcome and we even got invited to Thanksgiving Dinner with one of them.

Once OH has his TWP I will apply for SOWP and get out there and join the Canadian work force too.

Thanks to those of you who helped make it possible for us - you know who you are

Sharon
It helps to have friends in "dodgy handshake" type places when moving to a different country without a plan eh

So what is this organisation, The Masons or something - and you still didn't tell us what job he did.

Only because we are nosey you understand
Old Nov 7th 2011, 9:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

heading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to all

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
It helps to have friends in "dodgy handshake" type places when moving to a different country without a plan eh

So what is this organisation, The Masons or something - and you still didn't tell us what job he did.

Only because we are nosey you understand
Defo dodgy handshake territory lol

He is a carpenter, the job he has been offered uses all of his skill sets from craft work to machining to building work. they plan to keep him busy
Old Nov 7th 2011, 9:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thats a big chance to take without even knowing what the pre requisites for an LMO are.

I wish you all the luck in the world, but what will you do if the LMO is declined?
we will look for another employer. we are committed to staying here and making it happen.
Old Nov 7th 2011, 9:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Stonedog
Welcome to the South Shore
cheers
Originally Posted by Simon Legree
Welcome to Nova Scotia (even though I'm not there at the moment). I hope everything works out well for you.
thanks
Originally Posted by DandNHill
I can't really say Welcome as I have only been here about 3 weeks more than you (25th Aug)!!
We're a little bit further south than you in Yarmouth so if you ever are in exploring mode and happen to be wandering this way give us a shout.
I found a job about 3 weeks after I got here. I'm the Admin assistant for the local Chamber of Commerce. It might not pay what I was getting back in the UK but I'm enjoying myself and meeting so many different people.
Good luck with everything
we will certainly look you up, we get out and about quite a lot at the weekends so you never know
Old Nov 7th 2011, 10:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

So what is this organisation, The Masons or something..
if I told you I would have to kill you
Old Nov 8th 2011, 12:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

tracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud of

Congratulations Heading-west on your decision to take a chance. We only get one life and sometimes you have to just go for it. it all works out for you.

Tracy
Old Nov 10th 2011, 2:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

mumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nice

Welcome to NS, been here 4 years now & we are still loving it
Old Nov 10th 2011, 3:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

many thanks tracys and mumof2