Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Another 'Which Areas' thread - Merci

Another 'Which Areas' thread - Merci

Old Sep 27th 2011, 9:53 am
BE Enthusiast

januarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Another 'Which Areas' thread - Merci

Hello everyone

I know this is a far flung question but just looking for some advice/pointers please.

Looking for areas in Canada that have mild temp (mildest available anyway). near mountains that can be climbed-hiked-admired-trekked (within the hour or so drive), reasonable job prospects for business workers or health instructors, and the chance of buying property that is not too expensive. ie not too overpriced. Also I assume Canada is not too bigoted as a liberal mindset is preferred.

My natural inclination would be BC/Vancouver areas but I have heard property there is very expensive (median of over 700K). Therefore, are there areas near there that have much much much cheaper housing or are there other areas that can be thought of that are still meeting the above list?

Many thanks for your help
Old Sep 27th 2011, 11:11 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another 'Which Areas' thread - Merci

I've always wondered, how come only right wingers can be bigoted? Isn't it possible to be a liberal bigot?

Anyway, BC sounds like what you seek, aside from the cost of housing. I'll leave the west coasters to tell you whether your nirvana exists or not.
Old Sep 27th 2011, 12:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

januarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
I've always wondered, how come only right wingers can be bigoted? Isn't it possible to be a liberal bigot?
It's a fair point but I posted in haste, and not intended as a political statement, just meant I prefer liberal areas and mindsets.

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Anyway, BC sounds like what you seek, aside from the cost of housing. I'll leave the west coasters to tell you whether your nirvana exists or not.
Okie, yep.
Old Sep 27th 2011, 4:25 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by floatsy
Looking for areas in Canada that have mild temp (mildest available anyway). near mountains that can be climbed-hiked-admired-trekked (within the hour or so drive)
Then southwest BC fits the bill.

reasonable job prospects for business workers or health instructors
Vancouver for business, and with a growing and aging population I don't think the need for healthcare is going away anytime soon. However, you will almost certainly need to be re-certified.

and the chance of buying property that is not too expensive. ie not too overpriced.
Oh.

Also I assume Canada is not too bigoted as a liberal mindset is preferred.
I am not sure bigoted is the exact word, but rural BC tends to be white, christian and conservative. Often very friendly people, but if you want a liberal mindset then stick to the cities.

My natural inclination would be BC/Vancouver areas but I have heard property there is very expensive (median of over 700K). Therefore, are there areas near there that have much much much cheaper housing or are there other areas that can be thought of that are still meeting the above list?
That will be a figure for the City of Vancouver? The suburbs can be much cheaper. Where you will work, and how much you will earn, will dictate whereabouts you can comfortably live. To be honest, I would concentrate on researching this first.
Old Sep 27th 2011, 5:40 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Urban or Suburban
Old Sep 28th 2011, 6:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Then southwest BC fits the bill.

Vancouver for business, and with a growing and aging population I don't think the need for healthcare is going away anytime soon. However, you will almost certainly need to be re-certified.

Oh.

I am not sure bigoted is the exact word, but rural BC tends to be white, christian and conservative. Often very friendly people, but if you want a liberal mindset then stick to the cities.

That will be a figure for the City of Vancouver? The suburbs can be much cheaper. Where you will work, and how much you will earn, will dictate whereabouts you can comfortably live. To be honest, I would concentrate on researching this first.

Thanks so much ! Jon !

That helps, and what I suspected. (except house price issue )

Can you give me any pointers as to burbs / areas I can look at for researching house prices etc. ?
Old Sep 28th 2011, 6:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tangram
Urban or Suburban
Mmm well both are OK for me but I think I will need to go further out from a price perspective.

We are considering starting a health center as well so a bit further out as long as people will 'travel' there.
Old Sep 28th 2011, 9:48 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

If you can give people an idea of your housing budget and what you want for the money (i.e how many bedrooms, what type of house, land, etc), then they can give you ideas of which areas may be affordable for you.

Old Sep 28th 2011, 10:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
If you can give people an idea of your housing budget and what you want for the money (i.e how many bedrooms, what type of house, land, etc), then they can give you ideas of which areas may be affordable for you.

Thanks christmasoompa!!

Travel:

We envisage having one car. Travelling up to one hour not a problem. An area where we can set up a retreat/health care center would be ideal.

Weather

Ideally, mild please :P

Preferred amenities:

Nearer to mountains as avid mountaineers (within hour ok too).
Good schools for infant/early childcare and schooling. Some shops and restaurants would be fantastic !!!! AT least a good supermarket.

Characteristics:

Safe. Nice ie friendly if possible and liberal community.
Land fertile for gardening

$

As to budget that is the hard one...If we could spend less than 150K that would be superb, if we HAVE to go up to 250K that would really stretch us but possible with mortgage etc....

Acreage

As to acreage, well we want a place where we can live and have a center..I don't know in terms of acreage but a larger plot perhaps (not sure)..

Employment prospects

Oh and a place where I could find employment (supermarket or banks etc) Something that mnight be needed when we first go over to tide us over (if possible) so perhaps a larger rather than smaller community area

Does that help? I know it's a wishlist but it is mine

Thankyou!

Last edited by januarymix; Sep 28th 2011 at 10:57 am.
Old Sep 28th 2011, 2:06 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks christmasoompa!!

Travel:

We envisage having one car. Travelling up to one hour not a problem. An area where we can set up a retreat/health care center would be ideal.

Weather

Preferred amenities:

Good schools for infant/early childcare and schooling. Some shops and restaurants would be fantastic !!!! AT least a good supermarket.

Characteristics:

$

As to budget that is the hard one...If we could spend less than 150K that would be superb, if we HAVE to go up to 250K that would really stretch us but possible with mortgage etc....

Acreage

As to acreage, well we want a place where we can live and have a center..I don't know in terms of acreage but a larger plot perhaps (not sure)..

Employment prospects

Oh and a place where I could find employment (supermarket or banks etc) Something that mnight be needed when we first go over to tide us over (if possible) so perhaps a larger rather than smaller community area

Thankyou!

I think for that sort of budget, you will have to look North or East, then you lose mountains or desired climate and you will certainly be in the middle of nowhere. Have a look at www.Realtor.ca and do a search on there so you can see where your money might take you.
Old Sep 28th 2011, 2:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks christmasoompa!!

Travel:

Weather

Preferred amenities:

Characteristics:

$

Acreage

Employment prospects

Thankyou!
Bountiful, BC would appear to fit the bill
Old Sep 28th 2011, 2:27 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks christmasoompa!!

Travel:

Weather

Preferred amenities:

Characteristics:

$

Acreage

Employment prospects

Thankyou!
Which of are wants and which are needs?

In BC you'll definitely have to compromise although your budget (assuming the figure you have given is £ and not $) will extremely limit where your options will be.

Personally i don't think you'll find VERY cheap acreage, liberal mindset, large community with employment, and a mild climate, in BC, or anywhere else in Canada.
Old Sep 28th 2011, 2:45 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm concerned with the repeated reference to a "liberal mindset" and wonder how liberal is needed. In Dufferin County, which is rural but within two hours of the CN tower, the gay couple are tolerated, that is no one speaks to them but they don't get their house burned down. The locals have no direct experience of non-white people, I had an Indian woman at the house once when there were neighbours present. Later, people I'd not previously met mentioned the fact shortly after being introduced so it was plainly the talk of the "town" for months if not years. People know which residents are not Protestants but I don't believe Catholicism is still grounds for discrimination.

Where I'm going is that rural Canada is conservative in a way Europeans wouldn't imagine. Vegetarianism, an interest in gun control, or a desire to operate a hybrid vehicle woud be the kiss of death socially. I hope "liberal mindset" in this context doesn't imply wanting the kind of place where one publicly drink imported beer.
Old Sep 28th 2011, 2:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dbd33
I'm concerned with the repeated reference to a "liberal mindset" and wonder how liberal is needed. In Dufferin County, which is rural but within two hours of the CN tower, the gay couple are tolerated, that is no one speaks to them but they don't get their house burned down. The locals have no direct experience of non-white people, I had an Indian woman at the house once when there were neighbours present. Later, people I'd not previously met mentioned the fact shortly after being introduced so it was plainly the talk of the "town" for months if not years. People know which residents are not Protestants but I don't believe Catholicism is still grounds for discrimination.

Where I'm going is that rural Canada is conservative in a way Europeans wouldn't imagine. Vegetarianism, an interest in gun control, or a desire to operate a hybrid vehicle woud be the kiss of death socially. I hope "liberal mindset" in this context doesn't imply wanting the kind of place where one publicly drink imported beer.
Interesting

Liberal in my own unthought through context means - Live and let live.

For example vegetarianism, pro human rights etc

Hm, interesting, so only urban would be more 'liberal' (I am not very politically aware so perhaps it has broader meanings!)
Old Sep 28th 2011, 2:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by el_richo
Which of are wants and which are needs?

In BC you'll definitely have to compromise although your budget (assuming the figure you have given is £ and not $) will extremely limit where your options will be.

Personally i don't think you'll find VERY cheap acreage, liberal mindset, large community with employment, and a mild climate, in BC, or anywhere else in Canada.
Needs would be more safety, amenities (mountains, shops, good schools) and fertile acreage/decent milder weather I guess

Anyway by the way this thread is going any suggested nicer areas around town meeting anything would help me do some research.

I have looked on realtor.ca and houses seem available for those prices so I am not sure why you say there aren't any. But as I don't know these areas well perhaps I am looking in the wrong ones HENCE this thread.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.